Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #41
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,118 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Miami Heat- Good Job...Good effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread, but is it safe to assume that I'm the only one on the forum not rooting for LeBron to fail?
Not rooting for him to fail, rooting for the team to fail. You shouldn't be able to buy a championship. Durant deserves this, Lebron's arrogant, and a choke artist when the game's on the line. He could have put the game away with a three at the end, and tanked it. Okc rallied back from there.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread, but is it safe to assume that I'm the only one on the forum not rooting for LeBron to fail?

I, or alot of people are not particularly rooting for LeBron to fail.....but for OKC to win. Durant is what a superstar should be, an engaging, humble, great guy....as opposed to supreme arrogance and "self-proclaimed" kings who treated staff in Cleveland (and probably does in Miami too) like garbage and lowlifes. I've heard many horror stories about this and i have a friend in the media in Cleveland who said it was embarrassing how LeBron treated the Cavalier staff, trainers, caterers, etc like peasants from the 16 century.
The main reason i don't want Miami to win though is to prove that you can't just "purchase" a championship....as they tried to do last year...instead of building a great team through drafts and trades.
Dallas was incredible last year for not letting that happen.
I still think OKC can win this. If they didn't have that dreadful first half of the 1st quarter...then they win last night and we're having a different conversation today. I'm sure the focus with the team over the next day or two will be to make sure they don't get off to a horrendous start again.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #43
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

The NBA is not the NFL. You can buy championships, and it's been done numerous times. Sorry to break that to both of you. The Lakers had one home grown star and then brought in the rest. Same with Boston. And, apparently many are forgetting...same with Miami. I like Miami precisely for the fact that it's an interesting experiment in team building. Pat Riley has done a tremendous job in building a complete team behind his three stars.

Besides, it's not like the Heat don't have significant homegrown talent, even outside of Wade. What about Mario Chalmers? What about Udonis Haslem? Joel Anthony? Norris Cole? Dexter Pittman? Other than Shane Battier and Mike Miller (and once in a blue moon James Jones), the supplementary players are far from 'bought'. The Heat didn't have the luxury of being terrible for so long that they were able to draft early enough to get players like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden.

OKC got Sefolosha from Chicago. Perkins from Boston. Fisher from LA by way of Houston. Nazr Mohamed has been all over the place.

Also, LeBron James is the most overscrutinized human being on this entire planet. Let me know when he actually commits a crime or something. Choke artist, blah blah blah. Review the tapes from the run-up to the finals the past two seasons against Chicago, Indiana, and Boston twice.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #44
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
The Lakers had one home grown star and then brought in the rest
Really? Please enlighten me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #45
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Okay, that one was an exaggeration, but they undeniably have had significant contributions from acquisitions under Phil Jackson, like Shaq, Ron Harper, Robert Horry (how many game winners did he hit anyway?), Rick Fox, Horace Grant, Ron Artest, Shannon Brown, Pau Gasol, Mbenga, Lamar Odom...I mean, I can go on. And there's just as many bench warmers that fill the role guys like Juwan Howard are filling for the Heat now. A lot of the more recent Lakers teams are made up more of acquired players than guys they drafted. Now that I think of it, the Heat probably have as many players that they first drafted or signed than those Jackson Lakers teams: Dwayne Wade, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, Joel Anthony, Norris Cole, Dexter Pittman, Terrel Harris...that's 7 out of 15 that have never played for another team. The 2000 Lakers technically have 9 out of 15 players that they didn't draft. 2 they acquired their rights either on draft day or soon after, so the Lakers were the first team they ultimately played for. But there's also A.C. Green, who was originally on the Lakers, then spent years on other teams, and then finally came back and won. So depending on how you classify those last 3 guys, the 2000 Lakers championship team had anywhere between 7 and 10 'acquired' players.

Last edited by Steelersfan87; 06-16-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #46
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,306 Posts

By that logic the celtics, bulls, spurs also 'bought' their championships.
Jordon also left and came back, does that make him an acquired talent.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #47
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

My point was that a lot of teams in the NBA 'buy' their championships, so if the logic further supports my claim, then I'll take it. And by "left" I meant "was on other teams for like a decade", not "didn't play basketball at all for a couple years". The point is that this Heat team is not much different from many many championship teams, where a nucleus of one homegrown superstar and a few homegrown contributors is surrounded by acquired talent. There are not many NBA teams that are able to build through the draft, and the ones that manage to do so usually have to suck for several years like the Thunder and the Bulls in order for that to work. Free agency plays a major role in the success of NBA teams.

And I understand that a lot of people are rooting FOR the Thunder, but you can't deny that there are tons of people that are more excited about the prospects of James failing than the Thunder succeeding. Probably more of the former than the latter.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #48
TRH
Living Legend

wow.

That was one of the most frustrating NBA games i've ever seen. OKC is blowing this. The series, in reality, should be 3-0 right now.
Game 2 : They go down 18-freaking-2, which is unheard of, to start the game. That doesn't happen, they win the game.
Game 3 : They foul shoot worse than grade-schoolers. It was miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss, and on and on. Meanwhile, Miami is sinking ALL of theirs....it was ridiculous. They foul shoot as normal its another win. (it also didn't help that none of their shots were dropping and the ref's were horrible.....James was getting away with MURDER on the floor).

Very frustrating. OKC should be up 3-0.....instead they're now down 1-2. They better make some adjustments and real quick. If i was Brooks i'd make them all stand there and shoot foul shots for 6 hours straight tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #49
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
By that logic the celtics, bulls, spurs also 'bought' their championships.
Jordon also left and came back, does that make him an acquired talent.
The notion of free agency has now equated to "buying a championship". Apparantly its an easy thing to do that some are implying.

I guess that is why teams that made big moves for free agents like Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash, etc. All won championships..................uh, yeah......its easy to buy championships in the NBA.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #50
TRH
Living Legend

all moot points....in this instance, 3 superstar players "banded" together to sign with one team to "buy" the championship. Arguments can be made for the above cases, yes....but never was anything as blatant as this was.

As for tonight's 4th game : Its just starting the 4th quarter right now and i have NEVER...never....in all my life...seen officiating this bad and one-sided as i'm seeing tonight. They're calling stuff thats not even happening (as pointed out numerous times by the announcer team).
Makes you never want to watch a game again....