Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Linebacker unit rank 4th in nfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
KC is similar with only one big guy Tamba Hali
My point exactly, the other 3 KC LB's play well, but it's ridiculous to put them over our top notch crew when they only have one top notch guy. As you went on to mention, Houston will be like that this year.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

How can they put Houston in front of us when they lost the 2 best players on D and Cushinig is just a product of steroids!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,923 Times in 7,572 Posts
My Mood: Dead

On the NFL Network, the other night, they had "Top Ten: Linebacking Corps." Blitzburgh of the 90s was sixth (I still contend that they'd be higher if they had won a SuperBowl); the Steel Curtian was second; and, Sam Mils' group was first.**

**My point is not whether the Steel Curtain LBs should be first, my point is that those were some LBing corps!!!

Maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but when one grows up with Lambert, Ham, Russell, Merriwhether, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown... well... I've become spoiled. In other words: this current set of LBers is good, and arguably the top (or second best) of the current corps...but none of these current groups today can shake a stick at even the tenth best on that list (the 2000 Ravens).

Harrison could hang with ANY of those aforementioned players, and Woodley is easily as good as Greene and/or Kirkland...but, Timmons has only had one "Chad Brown" type of year (& no Lambert types of years).

SUMMATION: I want better.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

SF corps had one great year under a new head coach. They played inspired. Lets see them duplicate that this year-- Patrick Willis and company spent too much time on a bottom-feeding team to annoint them #1 after one good season.

Just my $0.02....
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Ummmm.... Based in last year maybe this is true. But with all the losses this year I'd say out crew is number two.

Even still.... With all out injuries suspensions last year we still come in spot four? I'll take it.

If our boys played the whole season without missing games we would be any less than number two.

This topic is a product of off season boredom anyways....
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
On the NFL Network, the other night, they had "Top Ten: Linebacking Corps." Blitzburgh of the 90s was sixth (I still contend that they'd be higher if they had won a SuperBowl); the Steel Curtian was second; and, Sam Mils' group was first.**

**My point is not whether the Steel Curtain LBs should be first, my point is that those were some LBing corps!!!

Maybe I'm a curmudgeon, but when one grows up with Lambert, Ham, Russell, Merriwhether, Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown... well... I've become spoiled. In other words: this current set of LBers is good, and arguably the top (or second best) of the current corps...but none of these current groups today can shake a stick at even the tenth best on that list (the 2000 Ravens).

Harrison could hang with ANY of those aforementioned players, and Woodley is easily as good as Greene and/or Kirkland...but, Timmons has only had one "Chad Brown" type of year (& no Lambert types of years).

SUMMATION: I want better.

I think the next draft will make great strides into improving the lb'ing core......
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
I think the next draft will make great strides into improving the lb'ing core......
I hope so. I'd take the following type of draft (based on the rounds in which each was originally drafted). If Pittsburgh got three players like the following, they might, once again, have an "all-time" top ten group.

R2: Lambert
R3: Porter
R6: Lloyd

[R1: S...to eventually replace The Hair.]
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

I don't think Lambert could excel in today's game.

I doubt he could drop back and he'd just get fined and suspended for being a professional badass.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

I'm biased and would say we're first. But I can see the argument for SF and don't really have a complaint with them at 1. I would say we're better than KC most definitely since they only have one superstar but without Farrior I guess there are doubts about our interior and they have a more balanced starting corps in place. Ranking us below Houston is an absolute joke to me though, especially without Ryans and Williams now.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
I don't think Lambert could excel in today's game.

I doubt he could drop back and he'd just get fined and suspended for being a professional badass.
Alas, you are correct: he'd be suspended & out of the league by the third quarter of his first game.

[Although, I think that he could drop into coverage; that's what made the 70s group so special: they rarely came off of the field on third downs.]

Suspensions eliminate Lambert...so, in R2, give me Kirkland, Brown, or another Woodley.

On a personal level, too bad a Lambert-esque player wouldn't survive in today's NFL, because as an infant, my brother cried when he saw Lambert...and, it would've been awesome to see a 35 year old man cry. LOL