Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,131 Times in 4,707 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default 2012 Steelers Minicamp – Day One News, Notes & Recap

2012 Pittsburgh Steelers Minicamp – Day One News, Notes & Recap

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers had their first day of the 2012 mandatory mini-camp on Tuesday and below is the initial recap of media reports on Twitter made by Mark Kaboly, Scott Brown, Will Graves, Gerry Dulac, Mike Prisuta and DVE Radio.

As expected, restricted free agent wide reciver Mike Wallace was not in attendence on Tuesday as day one of mini-camp got underway.

Also as expected, David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta'amu were all in attendence. In a move that likely signaled that the rookies will not be given a startiong job just for showing up, the first team offensive line from left to right was Marcus Gilbert, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Trai Essex. DeCastro and Adams did get plenty of snaps with the first team throughout the session though.

Kaboly noted that offensive line coach Sean Kugler took time to scold Adams for not finishing on a play. Adams told reporters that he got all his work Tuesday at left tackle but would play right tackle if they needed him to.

In other offensive line news, seventh round draft pick Kelvin Beachum has been moved from tackle to guard. Beachum played left tackle at SMU.

Pouncey told the media that his surgically repaired ankle feels great and regrets not having surgery following the loss to the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl.

Not practicing on Tuesday were James Harrison and Curtis Brown. Harrison likely is still having issues with fluid on his knee and there was no reason reported as to why Brown was out. While not reported, it is believed that Jason Worilds might be sidelined still as he recovers from off-season wrist surgery.

Casey Hampton and Rashard Mendenhall continue to reportedly work on the side as they both continue to rehab from knee surgery. Hampton told a member of the media not to count him out from being in the opening day lineup.

Baron Batch is no longer wearing the blue no-contact jersey that he has been seen wearing during the previous OTA sessions.

Emmanuel Sanders reiterated once again that he feels like he is back to 100 percent after having surgery on both feet last off-season. The third year receiver stated that he definitely feels like he has something to prove and his goal is 1,000 yards receiving this year.

Antonio Brown has taken over the locker that belonged to Hines Ward, and he is well aware of the significance of it.

Brett Keisel said that he is very impressed on how Ben Roethlisberger has grasp the new offense so far. "We are only going to go as far as he can take us," said Keisel.

Colon perhaps had the quote of the day. While in the huddle with the two rookies he said, "It smells like baby milk and pampers in here."

I will update with more news and updates as more are reported by the media.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06...s-notes-recap/
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,794 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: 2012 Steelers Minicamp – Day One News, Notes & Recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Brett Keisel said that he is very impressed on how Ben Roethlisberger has grasp the new offense so far. "We are only going to go as far as he can take us," said Keisel.
damn, what's the media gonna write about now? the new offense is too easy for uber genius ben, who hates todd haley, loves arians, and even went to haley's house and kicked his dog (but not really)?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Colon perhaps had the quote of the day. While in the huddle with the two rookies he said, "It smells like baby milk and pampers in here." LOL!!! Classic!!!
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,794 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Colon perhaps had the quote of the day. While in the huddle with the two rookies he said, "It smells like baby milk and pampers in here." LOL!!! Classic!!!
wonder if one of the rookies fired back saying 'nah, smells like a colon'
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Emmanuel Sanders reiterated once again that he feels like he is back to 100 percent after having surgery on both feet last off-season. The third year receiver stated that he definitely feels like he has something to prove and his goal is 1,000 yards receiving this year. How about 16 games played and 600 plus yards....First things first....16 games played
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Steelers Sign Long Snapper Matt Katula

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Scott Smith from XAM Sports reports this morning on Twitter that the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed long snapper Matt Katula to a one-year contract. Smith represents Katula. There is no word who was released to make room on the 90 man roster for Katula as of yet. Katula had reportedly worked out for the Steelers in May.

Katula was originally signed by Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2005 and was their long snapper for five seasons. He was released by the Ravens prior to the start of the 2010 season and signed with the New England Patriots in November of 2010, where he finished out the season. Following his release by the Patriots prior to the start of the 2011 season, Katula signed with the Minnesota Vikings in November of last year and he played in the Vikings final five games.

It is not uncommon for the Steelers to carry two long snappers in training camp and Katula figures to compete for the long snapping job with long-time Steeler veteran Greg Warren.

Contract terms are not yet known, but it is believed that Katula signed for the veteran minimum.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06...r-matt-katula/
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Steelers' top picks join team at minicamp

June 12, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

David DeCastro gets instruction from Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

The Steelers began their three-day minicamp today with three of their top four draft choice finally joining them on the field.

But, unless someone thought the Steelers were just going to hand starting jobs to guard David DeCastro and tackle Michael Adams, the two rookies worked with the second-team offensive line during the morning session.

DeCastro, the No. 1 pick, lined at right guard -- the position where he will likely begin the season with the first team. Adams, the No. 2 pick, lined at left tackle, but it remains to be seen if he is ready to be a starter.

DeCastro and Adams could not participate in the voluntary OTAs because of NFL rules that prohibit players whose college classes haven't graduated from attending.

Marcus Gilbert was at left tackle and Willie Colon was at left guard with the first team. Veteran Trai Essex lined at right tackle with the first-team offensive line.

But DeCastro and Adams weren't the only highly regarded rookies to finally get on the field.

Nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu, their fourth-round pick from Washington, also made his first appearance with his new team. Ta'amu is a thick 350-pound nose tackle from Samoa who will likely be the long-term replacement for Pro Bowl NT Casey Hampton. Like DeCastro and Adams, he could not attend OTAs.

"I'm happy to be here," Ta'amu said with a smile. "I'm a Steeler, man."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1xcep3jJk
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Columnist likes the arm, field presence of Steelers' 'new' QB

Jim Wexell, publisher of SteelCityInsider.net

Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 1
By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com

From the notebook of a sportswriter who likes the arm -- and, really, the field presence -- of the Steelers’ new quarterback:

-- But he must be nothing more than a camp arm, what with that No. 78 jersey they gave him.

-- Seriously, one rookie reporter raced off to his veteran mentor Thursday at Heinz Field to inform said mentor of his “scoop” about a No. 78 playing quarterback.

-- And more seriously, I loved Ben Roethlisberger wearing No. 78 in smirking defiance of the Steelers not having re-signed left tackle Max Starks yet.

-- The word I wanted to use was impudent. That word hit me after I saw rookie punter Drew Butler wearing the No. 9 of his idol Jim McMahon.

-- McMahon would’ve never complained about the new playbook, nor would he have praised the new draft picks throughout spring drills. He would’ve assured all that the new offense is a snap (even if it wasn’t, or even if he had no intention of learning it) and he would’ve ripped any rookie trying to replace one of his long and trusted bodyguards.

-- That’s what Roethlisberger did Thursday. Call him impudent if you must, but I love that he’s sticking up for one of his boys and that in chatting up the new offense in a positive manner he provided everyone around the team with more confidence.

-- Maybe some of the quarterback’s confidence has to do with the practice surge this past week of wide receiver Antonio Brown. Up until the last few practices, the star wide receiver had been Emmanuel Sanders -- by a long shot.

-- Brown made several acrobatic catches Thursday, but he had to laugh at one that was sheer luck. In a red-zone drill, Brown ran a corner route to the 3-yard line and didn’t turn in time for the ball. But the ball hit him in the head and he pinned it there and held on as he did two seasons ago against the Ravens. Brown also managed to keep his feet inbounds to move the chains. After practice I asked him about not getting his head around in time to find the ball. “Yeah,” he said with a big smile, “the ball found my head instead.”

-- After Thursday’s practice at Heinz Field, Brown and Sanders were off to the side taking their pads off, stretching out, cooling off, both beaming more confidently than ever with their standing on the team.

-- Sean Spence wasn’t so much a star yesterday, but his interception of Byron Leftwich over the middle brought out some of the news Spence had been making off the field.

-- The Steelers have already reversed their draft-day decree that Spence is a mack linebacker. The week-long absence of Stevenson Sylvester gave Spence an opportunity to play the buck position, and he’s opened plenty of eyes.

-- And most of those good impressions were made in the classroom. “He asks all the right questions,” said one coach.

-- But I wouldn’t write Larry Foote off just yet. He lined up to race Chris Carter and another linebacker in a 10-yard dash. Foote won by a step because he came off the snap more quickly, more instinctively.

-- Remember, with the disappearing of the fullback, buck backers -- or playcallers in the Steelers’ scheme -- don’t have to weigh 240 pounds anymore. Spence is listed at 231, but looks smaller.

-- I asked someone who watches practice tape if he’s been impressed by any of the young unknowns. He said that seventh-round pick Kelvin Beachum is “one who makes me say ‘wow.’”

-- After relaying this to another writer on the sideline, the writer -- who was watching practice and listening to me at the same time -- said, “As in, ‘Wow, look how fast Chris Carter just ran by Beachum.’”

-- Sure, rookies will have bad moments, but since hearing that tip I’ve been impressed by Beachum’s mobility, solid base, and versatility.

-- The other “wow guy” mentioned was seventh-round pick Toney Clemons. The WR who was great the first week and bad the second week bounced back impressively this third week.

-- As for the other seventh-round picks, another source told me TE David Paulson is “coach’s guy” and CB Terrence Frederick had been slowed by a hamstring problem “but he just made a play.”

-- Since I shared Mike Tomlin’s affinity for Paulson before the draft, I’ve been keeping an eye on him, and Paulson finally made his breakthrough this week. He had his best day Thursday. He even caught a pass over the middle and turned it up for a touchdown. He’s not flashy, but is plucky.

-- As for Frederick, all I can say is that he and undrafted rookie Terry Carter play as a CB tandem way down on the depth chart and Frederick is smaller but more polished, and, frankly, better.

-- A scout asked about my 12-year-old daughter’s athletic progress. She’s the goalie for a soccer team that just won the State Cup, and like everyone else has her flaws. After giving me some drills for her, the scout said, “Tell her to make her weakness her strength. That’s what the great ones do.”

-- Thinking it was wisdom passed down from the mountaintop, I repeated this to my daughter, who said, “Duh.”

-- Justin Kapinos is not letting Butler, the highly touted rookie, pull away in the punting derby. And undrafted rookie WR Marquis Maze had a two-“my bad” day with his coaches. So I’m moving safety Robert Golden to the top of the odds board for the roster chances of the undrafted rookies.

-- If the 202-pound Golden is the No. 1 undrafted rookie at this point, OLB Adrian Robinson is No. 1-A. The difference being the amount of talent in front of Robinson.

-- Robinson himself isn’t sure what running past tackles Marcus Gilbert and Trai Essex means in the spring without pads, but he’s as hopeful as the rest of the “tape-watchers” in the Steelers’ organization.

-- Andre Freeman, the undrafted rookie cornerback from Slippery Rock, made a stunning interception in the corner of the end zone Thursday. That kid’s not going away anytime soon, either.

-- Have to love Wes Lyons’s receiving potential as a tight end, but if you watch him hit a sled you want to yell “Stop ducking your head! You’re making my spine hurt!”

-- Tight end coach James Daniel came through with this comment to Lyons: “One thing we say in football is don’t duck your head, so don’t duck your head. You get hurt when you duck your head.”

-- He sounded like the commercial that ends with “so don’t end up in a ditch by the side of the road.”

-- FB/TE Jamie McCoy did the best job with the sled. Leonard Pope -- who’s probably heard about “pad level” ever since he was 10 years old -- adjusted best to Daniel’s instructions.

-- Cortez Allen is holding off Curtis Brown for the No. 3 CB job, but a scout told me Brown is probably the second quickest player on the team -- behind rookie RB Chris Rainey.

-- Rainey was born in prison but was standing there next to me, just off the field, at the pinnacle of his profession. I asked him if he could explain that gigantic chasm in a few sentences, but he could only laugh. One source told me that Rainey’s “smart, very smart, gym-rat smart.”

-- Rainey was wide open in the flat, but dropped the pass while no doubt salivating over the open grass in front of him. Tomlin went from saying “Get some!” to “Awww.” Ziggy Hood, who was hustling out into the flat, said to Rainey, “You dropped that. Time to die!”

-- Yep, Ziggy’s growing into a leader, and reading the papers, too.

-- And a few plays later Rainey made one of the sickest 360 spin moves of the spring.

-- If it’s not Spence, it’s Rainey who’s the most impressive rookie here.

-- Scout.com sent a survey to we team publishers, and one question was “Worst Draft Pick.” I honestly couldn’t think of one, so -- and this was two weeks ago -- I wrote, “Kelvin Beachum (?)” Well, after watching nine workouts, I e-mailed Scout to ask if they could change that to “None.”

-- At least the lower echelon -- picks 3 through 7D -- have shown great value. Next week we’ll have the opportunity to gauge the top picks, and no one expects to be disappointed.

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports...62cd81eb2.html
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,419 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Sounds like Spence and Rainey are doing good so far hopefully they will carry this into camp and pre season and have a chance to contribute come day one.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
damn, what's the media gonna write about now? the new offense is too easy for uber genius ben, who hates todd haley, loves arians, and even went to haley's house and kicked his dog (but not really)?

Its not just media...its in here too....i'm sure they'll say that Bret is covering for Ben and that by "grasp" he really meant "desperately reaching" and that if you read further into the quote from Bret, that there is no doubt dissention between Ben and Haley
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote