Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,848 Times in 2,971 Posts
Default Steelers' Roethlisberger back from the brink

Steelers' Roethlisberger back from the brink

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Making the cover of Sports Illustrated is usually reserved for athletes at or near the pinnacle of their sport.

For Ben Roethlisberger, it proved to be the instance he hit rock bottom.

The cover depicting an unshaven Roethlisberger entitled, “The Hangover: Ben Roethlisberger — An NFL superstar’s repulsive behavior, the ultimate expression of athletic entitlement run amok, has forced even the most diehard fans to question their team and their football faith,” hit news stands two weeks after Roethlisberger was suspended six games by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for repeated boorish behavior.

Two sexual assault accusations in an eight-month span along with stories of a combative and entitled Roethlisberger in public were synonymous with the Steelers’ $100 million quarterback.

Fast-forward two years, and the stories about Roethlisberger are still there, but have a less abrasive context.

“I don’t think there is anything better than having your family on the field with you holding that trophy and confetti falling,” Roethlisberger said after practice Tuesday about his soon-to-be-born son.

A lot has changed in Roethlisberger’s life over the past 26 months. He’s gotten married, been awarded his undergraduate degree at Miami (Ohio) and now is expecting his first kid at the end of the year.

And maybe more importantly, Roethlisberger, 30, has turned his life around.

“Just from when I met him to now, it has been a total 180,” guard and good friend Willie Colon said. “I am extremely proud of him, and I am glad where he is at.”

Colon feels it is time Roethlisberger gets credit for how he has come back from the brink of self-destruction and transformed himself into a humble, family-first guy.

“People love to talk about when you are down and doing wrong,” Colon said. “But they don’t say anything when you are a married man, not cheating on your wife, having a kid, being an example in the community — they don’t want to talk about that. When you are on the straight and narrow, getting your life together and doing the right things, nobody wants to talk about you.”

Roethlisberger has kept his name out of the news. Other than his first sexual assault charges being dropped in January, Roethlisberger’s name has been synonymous with marriage, academia and family instead of booze and bad behavior.

“I am not surprised at all about the transformation he’s gone through,” veteran lineman Trai Essex said. “I don’t think it was that drastic of a change from the person he was to the person he is now. I don’t think he has strayed too far from what he has always been. But he has made an effort to become a little more vocal and be a little more transparent just so people can see who he is.”

Brett Keisel has been best friends with Roethlisberger since his rookie year and has seen the good and bad.

“He’s been though a lot,” Keisel said. “He’s done a great job rising up out of it.”

Roethlisberger points toward maturity and family but credits his renewed faith as the biggest reason he’s turned his life around.

Still, there is a faction of people who believe the “Big Ben” persona will make a return and that this recent behavior is intended to do nothing more than to repair his public image.

“You are always going to have the (jerks), so to speak, that will say some negative about what he’s doing,” Colon said. “For the people who know him and love him, we know where he is at. People have to start clapping on how his progression has been and forget about all the things he has been through.”

Added Essex: “He’s the same Benjamin he’s always been to me.”

http://triblive.com/home/1977462-85/...010-2012-april
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Default Re: Steelers' Roethlisberger back from the brink

Ben happy with first day of minicamp

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
June 13, 2012

The Steelers put in a full day of work on Tuesday, with two practices to jump start their three-day minicamp.

“I am sore and tired,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger when asked how he felt after the second practice. “I forgot how old I am and my body is wearing down. I just tried to get through this first day. We got through it and now get ready for tomorrow.”

Roethlisberger had his first opportunity to work with the team’s two top draft picks, guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams, but said he would like to look at the tape of practice before weighing in on how they looked.

“The hard part about it is it’s hard for me to watch them because I am doing a rep and then when I remember to watch them it seems like it’s their last rep,” said Roethlisberger. “I have to watch them on film.”

One player who was missing from minicamp is wide receiver Mike Wallace, who still has not signed his tender offer.

“I would love to have him here because he is a great friend and teammate,” said Roethlisberger. “I am not worried. I know he is going to get here when it’s right and when they get something done.”

Roethlisberger seemed pleased, though, with how things went overall and it appears he is getting more comfortable with Todd Haley’s offense.

“We did pretty good,” said Roethlisberger. “I am speaking about the guys I get reps with. I felt like the day went well.”

Roethlisberger did admit that he made some mistakes with terminology during practice, but doesn’t expect that to be a problem for long.

“I called a play I thought was a play but it’s a formation now,” said Roethlisberger. “I got mixed up but we got it straightened out. I make that mistake once or twice a day where I revert back to old things or words. I have to try not to do that anymore. It’s like riding a bike with training wheels and hopefully we will get them off soon.”

It wasn’t just football that Roethlisberger talked about on Tuesday. He recently announced on his website that he and his wife Ashley are expecting a son later this year and he talked about being a father after practice.

“Family is super important to me,” said Roethlisberger. “We are excited. I can’t wait for the day to come.”

Roethlisberger said he will look to the examples set by his own father, Ken, to help him be a good father.

“I have said many times he is my role model,” said Roethlisberger. “If I could be like him I would be happy. That is who I am modeling my future fatherhood after.”

Steelers’ fans will be happy to hear that Roethlisberger’s wish is to be able to hold his son on the field after winning a Super Bowl one day.

“You talk to any player and the ultimate goal is to have your son or daughter at a Super Bowl,” said Roethlisberger. “So that is going to be my goal now to get a Super Bowl. There is nothing better than having your family with you when you are on the field and that confetti is falling on you.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...9-c99bc862b7fc
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

“I am sore and tired,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger when asked how he felt after the second practice. “I forgot how old I am and my body is wearing down.

Ben Roethlisberger: 'Not going to change'

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...oing-to-change

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- As the Pittsburgh Steelers wrap up their final minicamp of the offseason this week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made it clear that he is learning a new offense and not a new style of play.

Reducing the hits on Roethlisberger has been a major story line this offseason from Art Rooney saying the Super Bowl-winning quarterback might have to "tweak" his game to the Steelers using their first two draft picks on offensive linemen.

RoethlisbergerRoethlisberger reiterated Wednesday that he won't change his mindset of extending plays just to cut down on the number of shots from defensive players.

"I’m not going to change my game," Roethlisberger said. "Coach can do what he wants to add protection and do things like that. I’m going to play the game the way I know how. It’s worked OK for me so far."

No AFC quarterback was sacked more than Roethlisberger last season (40 times), and no quarterback in the NFL has endured more than the 261 sacks he has since 2006.

While Roethlisberger has only missed two games because of injuries the past four seasons, his performance suffered last season as he battled through a sprained foot (which required a metal plate in his shoe), a broken right thumb and a high-ankle sprain.

"I don’t think there is this big revelation like I need to do this and do that," Roethlisberger said. "It’s 'don’t take hits,' but I don’t know how to do that."

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley said last week that he won't try to limit the number of times Roethlisberger throws on the run.

"It's one of the best things he does, and it's what separates him from all the other guys in the league for the most part," Haley said. "So you don't want to take that great ability away from him."

Asked if anyone has told him to go down and not take so many hits, Roethlisberger said, "Yeah, all the time. My mom, my wife and my grandma."
part of me really wants ben to tone down the almost defiant rhetoric, but another part of me really respects the statement in bold.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

ďI am sore and tired,Ē said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger when asked how he felt after the second practice. ďI forgot how old I am and my body is wearing down.

Ben Roethlisberger: 'Not going to change'

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...oing-to-change

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- As the Pittsburgh Steelers wrap up their final minicamp of the offseason this week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made it clear that he is learning a new offense and not a new style of play.

Reducing the hits on Roethlisberger has been a major story line this offseason from Art Rooney saying the Super Bowl-winning quarterback might have to "tweak" his game to the Steelers using their first two draft picks on offensive linemen.

RoethlisbergerRoethlisberger reiterated Wednesday that he won't change his mindset of extending plays just to cut down on the number of shots from defensive players.

"Iím not going to change my game," Roethlisberger said. "Coach can do what he wants to add protection and do things like that. Iím going to play the game the way I know how. Itís worked OK for me so far."

No AFC quarterback was sacked more than Roethlisberger last season (40 times), and no quarterback in the NFL has endured more than the 261 sacks he has since 2006.

While Roethlisberger has only missed two games because of injuries the past four seasons, his performance suffered last season as he battled through a sprained foot (which required a metal plate in his shoe), a broken right thumb and a high-ankle sprain.

"I donít think there is this big revelation like I need to do this and do that," Roethlisberger said. "Itís 'donít take hits,' but I donít know how to do that."

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley said last week that he won't try to limit the number of times Roethlisberger throws on the run.

"It's one of the best things he does, and it's what separates him from all the other guys in the league for the most part," Haley said. "So you don't want to take that great ability away from him."

Asked if anyone has told him to go down and not take so many hits, Roethlisberger said, "Yeah, all the time. My mom, my wife and my grandma."
part of me really wants ben to tone down the almost defiant rhetoric, but another part of me really respects the statement in bold.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I like the whole article, along with the statement in bold. I don't want to see Ben change his game - the toughness, the mobility, the will to win, the ability to extend the play and make something out of nothing. This is a man that can put a team on his back and win a game all by himself. None of that stuff can be taught, and we're lucky to have ringside seats.

But I do want him to embrace the opportunity to play in an NFL-caliber offensive system, to have the chance to achieve what he's truly capable of. He's surely earned it.

It's gonna happen, I'm sure of it. At some point, his eyes are going to be wide open when it all clicks. The best is yet to come!
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

Ben's a gunslinger. He always has been, and we've one two SuperBowl's thanks in part to his ability to extend plays.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,209 Times in 653 Posts

Ben, don't change a thing. Just be more aware of not exposing yourself to the hits that could jeopardize a season..
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

As a wise poster here once observed (can't remember who), people forget that Ben isn't running around just to get exercise; he's running around because large, fast men are chasing him. Defenders are generally on top of him as soon as the ball arrives at his fingertips, and sometimes even faster.

It's great to have a QB who can dodge a tackle, escape from where a pocket was supposed to be, scramble outside, fight off another defender, and complete a long pass to some tired receiver who's just invented a 2nd or 3rd route. But that shouldn't be Plan A.

When Ben sees all the benefits of having actual designed plays, he's gonna love it - and even more so as the years go by, and the old bones hurt a lot longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Ben, don't change a thing. Just be more aware of not exposing yourself to the hits that could jeopardize a season..
That's the beauty of finally filling our 5-year vacancy at OC. With actual designed plays, he won't need to change a thing - and he'll automatically avoid a lot of this exposure. All he needs to do is learn them.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Ben Roethlisberger: I donít know how to avoid taking hits

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says that for anyone who wants him to change the way he plays to avoid taking hits and stay healthier, he has some bad news: He doesnít know how.

Roethlisberger spoke to reporters in the Steelersí locker room today and said that the key to staying healthy is to avoid getting hit. But the only way he knows how to play the quarterback position is the way heís always played it, and sometimes contact is part of that.

ďI donít think thereís this big revelation, like I need to do this or I need to do that,Ē Roethlisberger said. ďItís, ĎDonít take hits.í But I donít know how to do that.Ē

Of course, it could be on the Steelersí coaches ó specifically new offensive coordinator Todd Haley ó to teach Roethlisberger how. But Roethlisberger said that all the coaches can do is change the Steelersí protections, because he has no intention of changing the way he plays.

ďIím not going to change my game,Ē Roethlisberger said. ďCoach can do what he wants to add protection and do things like that, but Iím going to play the game the way I know how. Itís worked OK for me so far.Ē

Itís easy to see why Roethlisberger would think he doesnít need to change: Heís been awfully successful the way he is. But three months after he turned 30 years old, it may be time for him to think about how he can keep playing well for years to come, by finding a way to take fewer hits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-taking-hits/
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

The Transformation of Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

by Neal Coolong on Jun 13, 2012

Gone is the six-game (reduced to four, in classic Goodellian style) suspension for uncharged accusations of sexual assault for Steelers 30-year-old QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Here is a marriage, a degree from Miami University and a child due sometime probably during the season.

It almost seems as of Roethlisberger is following a different kind of playbook now. One aimed at restoring his image, once tainted and possibly irrevocably altered.

Do we buy it?

It's a valid question, considering, as Tribune-Review writer Mark Kaboly points out, it wasn't long ago Roethlisberger graced the cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline "The Hangover: Ben Roethlisberger - An NFL superstar's repulsive behavior, the ultimate expression of athletic entitlement run amok, has forced even the most diehard fans to question their team and their football faith." It drove a permanent wedge between naive idol-worship and cold reality of human nature for an entire generation of Steelers fans.

Even the reminder of the story suggests it's still fresh in the collective mind of Steeler Nation. While certainly one can see optimism in his decision to finish his degree (now that he has, he'll be inducted into Miami's athletic Hall of Fame) and start a family, does this somehow make Roethlisberger a better person, in our eyes? Is it even our place to judge?

It's fair to say no one would suggest doing the things he's accused of doing are within his rights in any way, but should his apparent pursuit of the picket-fenced house with family lifestyle a la Norman Rockwell make people like him more?

Ben Roethlisberger is as famous as he is because of his ability to play a game. I'll never be one to suggest that kind of fame does not have its place in society, nor will I rail against American culture's need to place people doing what he does on a pedestal. The struggle between class differentiation will never go away, we have decades upon decades of entertainers to prove that.

I wish the Roethlisbergers well with their child, their marriage, their health and their happiness. It's tough for me to feel his ability (desire?) to achieve that makes him any more of a hero than his football accomplishments do. It seems mutually exclusive. While some married people may argue keeping a healthy, honest marriage alive is harder than throwing a football with Justin Smith draped on his back, I'd just as soon leave them in the separate worlds where they currently reside.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...rger#storyjump