Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,117 Times in 4,701 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Kapinos ready to take over as punter

Kapinos ready to take over as punter

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Steelers punter Jeremy Kapinos lost a split decision last preseason to Daniel Sepulveda, who earned the punting job after a close battle.

This time, however, with Sepulveda a free agent, Kapinos began minicamp as the favorite to win the starting job.

“I got a lot of last year’s competition with Dan,” said Kapinos, who returned to the Steelers late last season after Sepulveda went down with a knee injury in November. “Every practice you had to bring it against Dan. I hope he felt the same way about me. I had to bring my A-game every day, and it pushed me to new heights. We both bettered ourselves last year.”

Kapinos couldn’t land a job despite a solid preseason. General manager Kevin Colbert vouched for him with Cleveland and Detroit, but those teams pulled back.

“I worked out for Detroit, then the Lions signed a punter a week later,” Kapinos said. “You never know in this business.

“It seems when the Steelers get out of work, nobody wants to pick them up. I think they do such a good job of talent evaluation here that teams figure if you’re not good enough for the Steelers, then you can’t make it there.”

Batch out of the blue

Running back Baron Batch spent the past three weeks of organized team activities wearing a blue jersey to remind teammates that he is still off-limits when it comes to hitting because of ACL surgery last year. Batch finally was allowed to remove the blue jersey yesterday for the start of minicamp.

“Having the blue jersey on didn’t matter too much,” Batch said. “Guys will bump you up, but it was no different, really, from when I had it on and when I didn’t. The blue jersey was kind of a reminder to some guys to take it easy. Nobody really minded it too much.”

Legursky on the mend

Guard Doug Legursky had his left shoulder wrapped in ice after afternoon practice.

“It got bumped around a little bit in practice,” said Legursky, who is recovering from shoulder surgery. “It’s about coming back from the injury, but it’s good. It’s important for me to get the reps. I’ve got to work my shoulder back into shape.”

Legursky, who first injured his shoulder against the Colts in Week 3, expects to be at full strength when training camp opens next month.

Clay confident

John Clay was a considered a long shot to make last year’s roster. The second-year running back from Wisconsin is feeling good about his chances this season.

“The good thing is everyone’s starting at the same point with this new offense,” he said. “I still have that chip on my shoulder. I’m going to keep grinding. I don’t have any guarantees, so I have to keep improving.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...icamp-practice
Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,963 Times in 8,708 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Kapinos ready to take over as punter

My guess is that Drew Butler wins the job. I was hoping he'd be (one of) the R7 picks...and am glad he was signed as a rookie FA. Mike Scifres & Andy Lee have shown that a P can indeed "win" an occasional game (and be a major factor in many other games).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,117 Times in 4,701 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

competition breeds efficiency, now if we could only bring in someone to push Suisham for a roster spot...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,963 Times in 8,708 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
competition breeds efficiency, now if we could only bring in someone to push Suisham for a roster spot...
Exactly.

Alas, it shouldn't be too difficult...my 14 month old can kick a soccer ball just about as good as he can...

Really though, if for no other reason than to push Suisham, another kicker HAS to be brought in. Didn't Akers (or someone "old" but good) recently get cut...??? ,
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote