Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,396 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default NFL Rumors: Art Rooney II Not Happy With Mike Wallace

NFL Rumors: Pittsburgh Steelers Owner Art Rooney Not Happy With Mike Wallace

by Jeff Shull
June 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Mike Wallace was slapped with the franchise tag this off season with the hopes that the two sides could eventually sign a long term contract. Well, that hasn’t happened yet and not only has Wallace refused to sign his tag, but he is holding out of Steelers mini-camp.

Their president, Art Rooney II, is not happy about it. “He should be here,” the disgruntled owner said recently. The Steelers can apparently cut the offer from $2.7 million to $2 million or remove it altogether this Friday, but the club is not likely to use either option.

Head coach Mike Tomlin is not too worried about the situation, and believes it will work itself out in the end like most do. Though he is critical of Wallace not being at camp.

“Mike has always been guy who’s in tip top condition over a 12-month calendar since we had him,” Tomlin said. “He’s a sharp guy. I’m sure he’s working at the learning element of it. But there’s no substitute for being here and being around your teammates and learning the nuances and learning from other people’s mistakes.”

The Steelers are a first class organization and Wallace is a fantastic player and key piece to their offense. He’ll likely get what he’s looking for, but when is the only question. Wallace has averaged 66 receptions, 1,225 yards and nine touchdowns over the past two seasons. He is one of the best deep-threats in the league and opens up the offense for Ben Roethlisberger.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...llace/11008835
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: NFL Rumors: Art Rooney II Not Happy With Mike Wallace

Messing with the wrong owners here Mr Wallace. They will ship your candy-ass of to the Raiders. Then we'll see if you are really unhappy or not!!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,000 Times in 8,016 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Well, Wallace was NOT hit with the franchise tag; he was hit with a RFA tender.

If the author can't even get his first fact correct (his opening statement), I immediately question the validity of the rest of his article.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

doesn't matter if the author goofed a bit.....the fact is that Rooney still said it.....i saw Rooney had said this yesterday from multiple sources. Rooney, when he has something to say that he's serious about, usually only uses a couple words, but very strong words, to voice his displeasure (unlike the ridiculous, twitter, ranting Jim Irsay in Indy).
The Steelers are going to draw a line in the sand here....they're NOT going to overpay for a WR position when they Antonio Brown also coming up and multiple issues to take care of on the defensive side of the ball starting next year. I just dont' see Rooney giving in to an agent trying to play hardball.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,880 Posts

This is the Hines Ward/Plaxico Burress situation again

Steelers do not have the budget for 2 talented receivers and are waiting to see which one gets the commitment before signing Brown or Wallace

Wallace will gt tpaid in 2013 by someone but IMO he is not going to force the Steelers into a contract by holding out

According to the P-G the Steelers are not going to exercise their right to cut the $2.7 million RFA tender, which thye would do if they intended to burn the bridge - at this point Wallace needs to accept where he is at, have a big 2012 season, and figure if he does not sign with the Steelers as Ward did he will get big $$ somewhere else (like Burress did) elsewhere
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This is the Hines Ward/Plaxico Burress situation again

Steelers do not have the budget for 2 talented receivers and are waiting to see which one gets the commitment before signing Brown or Wallace

Wallace will gt tpaid in 2013 by someone but IMO he is not going to force the Steelers into a contract by holding out

According to the P-G the Steelers are not going to exercise their right to cut the $2.7 million RFA tender, which thye would do if they intended to burn the bridge - at this point Wallace needs to accept where he is at, have a big 2012 season, and figure if he does not sign with the Steelers as Ward did he will get big $$ somewhere else (like Burress did) elsewhere

i agree. There is no other "better" scenario for Wallace. This is where agents can become a big pain in the a**
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
[/B]

i agree. There is no other "better" scenario for Wallace. This is where agents can become a big pain in the a**

Agree! Still like Brown better though...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,000 Times in 8,016 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
doesn't matter if the author goofed a bit.....the fact is that Rooney still said it.....i saw Rooney had said this yesterday from multiple sources. Rooney, when he has something to say that he's serious about, usually only uses a couple words, but very strong words, to voice his displeasure (unlike the ridiculous, twitter, ranting Jim Irsay in Indy).
True....you are correct. After seeing that "above" article, I did some Googling, and Art II did indeed say it.

And, as you said, The Rooneys rarely speak, but when they do, they MEAN it.

Mike, you'd take heed...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

I am kind of over this Mike Wallace cry baby shit. You and your agent outplayed your dumb asses and got dick this off season. Be a man, get over it, play out your contract then go see what the market gives you. That's BUSINESS. These morons love to say it's a BUSINESS, but then, when the BUSINESS, gives THEM the BUSINESS, it's disrespect. Stupid hypocrites.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I am kind of over this Mike Wallace cry baby shit. You and your agent outplayed your dumb asses and got dick this off season. Be a man, get over it, play out your contract then go see what the market gives you. That's BUSINESS. These morons love to say it's a BUSINESS, but then, when the BUSINESS, gives THEM the BUSINESS, it's disrespect. Stupid hypocrites.
+1

Has Burress been signed yet? If Wallace doesn't man up I'd have Plaxi take the #1 wide out spot for one year, and extend Antonio right now.

Sure, I love that Mike can stretch the defense, but can he get good separation through intermediate routes.

Burress, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller.....if Ben couldn't complete passes to those five guys then he's a bad QB.

And Burress could probably be had for half what Wallace wants.