Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Ben on NFL Network today

Found this article on NBC via Yahoo, but I watched the "interview" on NFL Network. To my surprise the NFL Network crew was actually giving the Steelers some respect, even Sapp a few times.

Ben Roethlisberger: I don’t know how to avoid taking hits

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT

AP
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says that for anyone who wants him to change the way he plays to avoid taking hits and stay healthier, he has some bad news: He doesn’t know how.

Roethlisberger spoke to reporters in the Steelers’ locker room today and said that the key to staying healthy is to avoid getting hit. But the only way he knows how to play the quarterback position is the way he’s always played it, and sometimes contact is part of that.

“I don’t think there’s this big revelation, like I need to do this or I need to do that,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s, ‘Don’t take hits.’ But I don’t know how to do that.”

Of course, it could be on the Steelers’ coaches — specifically new offensive coordinator Todd Haley — to teach Roethlisberger how. But Roethlisberger said that all the coaches can do is change the Steelers’ protections, because he has no intention of changing the way he plays.

“I’m not going to change my game,” Roethlisberger said. “Coach can do what he wants to add protection and do things like that, but I’m going to play the game the way I know how. It’s worked OK for me so far.”

It’s easy to see why Roethlisberger would think he doesn’t need to change: He’s been awfully successful the way he is. But three months after he turned 30 years old, it may be time for him to think about how he can keep playing well for years to come, by finding a way to take fewer hits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-taking-hits/

I have never thought his "style of play" was to blame because his "style of play" is avoiding a sack due to our poor O line play and O play calling. I don't think he needs to try and find a way to change his game, the additions to the O line and proper play calling will change it enough on their own. I also could see why he wouldn't want to change much due to his success as the article mentions. That said, (and you can look through all 1200+ posts of mine and you will be lucky to find 2 that are negative about Ben), he had ANOTHER ridiculous answer. To say "the coach can do what he's going to do but I'm not changing" will be interpreted by many as "the coach can f*ck off because I know how to win". Everybody has talked about Haley getting in players faces and I have been saying since day 1 that with as much as Ben has accomplished Haley doesn't need to be "getting in his face" since he has never won anything. But you don't go off saying things to the media about it that sound disrespectful. Also, this is the second time he has admitted to not knowing how to do something, first he said he would just now have to start learning where protections are coming from, and now about not getting hit. He just makes himself sound stupid. To be clear, I don't think Ben is stupid, it makes him SOUND stupid IMO. I love Ben but he just doesn't seem to get how to deal with the press, he either reads a proper speech off of a paper or he freelances it and sounds like a dumb ass.

Last edited by tanda10506; 06-15-2012 at 02:40 AM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Ben on NFL Network today

I completely see where he's coming from as far as "he don't know how to avoid taking hits"...thats the way he's played for years.
At this point, its not a matter of him learning how to avoid hits.....its the new system (and new lineman) helping him avoid hits unnecessarily.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
That said, (and you can look through all 1200+ posts of mine and you will be lucky to find 2 that are negative about Ben), he had ANOTHER ridiculous answer. To say "the coach can do what he's going to do but I'm not changing" will be interpreted by many as "the coach can f*ck off because I know how to win". Everybody has talked about Haley getting in players faces and I have been saying since day 1 that with as much as Ben has accomplished Haley doesn't need to be "getting in his face" since he has never won anything. But you don't go off saying things to the media about it that sound disrespectful. Also, this is the second time he has admitted to not knowing how to do something, first he said he would just now have to start learning where protections are coming from, and now about not getting hit. He just makes himself sound stupid. To be clear, I don't think Ben is stupid, it makes him SOUND stupid IMO. I love Ben but he just doesn't seem to get how to deal with the press, he either reads a proper speech off of a paper or he freelances it and sounds like a dumb ass.
And if the comment was disrespectful to anyone, it's Rooney. He's the one who said Ben needs to "tweak" his game.

Tanda, your response to Ben's comment is similar to what a few of us have been arguing in the "get over it" thread. Ben's latest comment isn't just an isolated remark. It's yet another in a growing list of jabs and defiant comments. I won't rehash that argument here ... we've done enough of that in the the other thread.

Regarding Ben's comment, I don't understand why he's so resistant to change. He obviously loves his image of the big, tough quarterback usually playing on one leg and willing his team to victory. And most fans love that image as well. But that style of play quite possibly cost us the division title and a first-round bye last season. Regardless of the O-line protection, Ben has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. There's nothing wrong with learning to make quick reads and getting rid of the ball. Ben and fans (myself included) love his tough-guy image, but it's not all about Ben. It's about the team. And what's best for the team is for Ben to avoid hits and stay healthy. He can be a hero without playing with injuries that would sideline most other quarterbacks.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
And if the comment was disrespectful to anyone, it's Rooney. He's the one who said Ben needs to "tweak" his game.

Tanda, your response to Ben's comment is similar to what a few of us have been arguing in the "get over it" thread. Ben's latest comment isn't just an isolated remark. It's yet another in a growing list of jabs and defiant comments. I won't rehash that argument here ... we've done enough of that in the the other thread.

Regarding Ben's comment, I don't understand why he's so resistant to change. He obviously loves his image of the big, tough quarterback usually playing on one leg and willing his team to victory. And most fans love that image as well. But that style of play quite possibly cost us the division title and a first-round bye last season. Regardless of the O-line protection, Ben has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. There's nothing wrong with learning to make quick reads and getting rid of the ball. Ben and fans (myself included) love his tough-guy image, but it's not all about Ben. It's about the team. And what's best for the team is for Ben to avoid hits and stay healthy. He can be a hero without playing with injuries that would sideline most other quarterbacks.
He's not being "resistant to change". He just said its his style....the new offense will take care of as much of it that it can and the rest will work itself out. And apparently he's taking to the new playbook faster than expected.
Stopped reading into things so much and super-overanalyzing so much.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I still think the Ben vs Haley thing is being way over-analyzed. It is a dull offseason, so the press is looking to scare up a story at any costs.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Ben plays with passion and purpose. In the heat of the game he is going to revert to "his" style. It has been quite evident since his college days this is his way to play, if Rooney is not happen with two Superbowls using this style then they should not of drafted him.

Now if Haley can put him at ease in a new set where he is able to get rid of the ball quicker and utilize some more of his weapons, i.e. RB and TEs then he can avoid some contact that has been on him in past years, but like I said if pressure is coming he will fall back into his way of play, it is only natural.

I do not understand why Ben is vilified for playing the game the way he always has yet James Harrison is taken an entirely different way in his approach to tackling. The fines and penalties come James way yet he refuses to change and play the way he has always played. I happen to find very little wrong with James approach and I also find little wrong with Ben, and if Haley tries to completely change him then we have lost a big advantage with Ben as a QB.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
He's not being "resistant to change".
Huh? Direct quote from Ben:

Im not going to change my game.Coach can do what he wants to add protection and do things like that, but Im going to play the game the way I know how. Its worked OK for me so far.

That's not being resistant to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Stopped reading into things so much and super-overanalyzing so much.
What am I "super-overanalyzing"? Rooney said that Ben needs to "tweak" his game, and Ben said he isn't going to do it. That's not MY analysis. Those are comments made by Rooney and Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Ben plays with passion and purpose. In the heat of the game he is going to revert to "his" style. It has been quite evident since his college days this is his way to play, if Rooney is not happen with two Superbowls using this style then they should not of drafted him.
Ricco, I agree with you that even if Ben did try to change, there's a good chance he'd revert back to his old style in the course of a game. We saw that with Tebow last season. He worked on his throwing motion, and it was much improved ... until he got into games and reverted back to his old style. Change is difficult, but it isn't impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I do not understand why Ben is vilified for playing the game the way he always has yet James Harrison is taken an entirely different way in his approach to tackling. The fines and penalties come James way yet he refuses to change and play the way he has always played. I happen to find very little wrong with James approach and I also find little wrong with Ben, and if Haley tries to completely change him then we have lost a big advantage with Ben as a QB.
I don't think anyone, including myself, is vilifying Ben for playing the way he does. I like Ben and hope he is our QB for years to come. But his style of play is going to shorten his career. That's why Rooney wants him to "tweak" his style of play ... not because he isn't happy with the results, but because he isn't happy with all the punishment he takes.

I don't buy the argument that Ben can be effective only when he's scrambling around and making something out of nothing. He's a damn good QB, and he can be just as effective, if not MORE effective, if he learns to get rid of the ball quicker. And fewer hits means fewer chances of serious injury. No professional athlete, including Ben, should ever believe that they're so good that they don't need to improve their game.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I agree Bens career could be shorten if he continues to take hits, but is that not an NFL career in a nutshell. One hit, one injury and any players career is over. While I will hate to see it happen to any player, I would rather he keep playing the way he does. I know that my mindset was to play wide open. that is one reason I love to watch Ben play QB (even if he was not ours) , he plays with that instinct that he will do anything to make the play. Is he a smart QB, likely, is he one of the smartest, less likely. Is he a warrior on the field, yea without a doubt. Can Haley make him even better, likely so. Could Haley also in his zealous fashion do things that could make Ben less effective, yea he could. I just think all this chatter about whos pulling whos string is over the top, both Ben and Haley will have to compromise to make this work, if either one draws a line in the sand then this could be a disaster waiting to happen. I for one think it is going to be OK and both will work to a common goal. But to those who place all the blame on Bens inability to adapt to Haley, should be a little forthcoming in the concept that Haley should adapt some to his new QB.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
I know, I've contributed a few posts to that thread too, but I've been arguing "in favor" of Ben, until now. Again, I don't want him to change his game it all, he will stop getting hit with this new O line and with an occasional FB or HB to pick up blitzes. Actually, since his "style" is running from a bunch of guys trying to smash him, and now those guys won't be able to chase him anymore, his style will change by default. Ben doesn't step out of good pockets so he will, by default, "change his game". But as we talked about in the other thread, that's not the point. The point is, however you feel about it, don't sound stupid or disrespectful to the media, better yet, stay away from the damn media!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Point blank, Ben's not going to change. Shame on anybody who literally thinks that in the heat of battle and when defenders are barreling down on him to think that he's literally going to stop, think and "avoid the hit." He's going to continue being Ben. He's Ben for a reason. I think he said it perfectly. It's Haley's job to call the formation and protection but when the time comes, there's no way to "avoid a hit" at full speed. There just isn't.