Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Ben on NFL Network today

Whenever a coach asks an elite athlete to alter his game, it almost always fails. It happens in baseball all the time. Look at Derek Jeter last year. He got off to a horrible start because he changed his swing. Then when he got injured, her reverted back to what he's been doing his entire career and he ended up hitting like .350 for the rest of the season and has continued that this season. Kevin Colbert just said today that there's basically nothing wrong with Ben not changing his game, by the way.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,495 Times in 7,392 Posts
My Mood: Dead

They continually asked Earl Campbell to "change his style" (go put of bounds, avoid direct hits). But, Earl was Earl...and Earl was GREAT.

Honestly, his style shortened his career, but when Mean Joe Greene admits that he hated playing against you, you're doing something right.

Give me six amazing years of Earl Campbell...and 12* amazing years of BR.

*(BR retires after winning three SuperBowls in a row.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Ben has to walk that fine line this year of when to be the new improved Ben and the old keep a play alive Ben. If we are behind in a game and need a comeback then Ben needs to extend the play at all costs and risks to get a big play made. The entire 2008 season on the way to and including the super bowl was Ben playing his kind of ball. The last three years we've seen that style at times hurt the team when leads have been blown by costly intereptions trying to force a big play down the field. If the team gets a lead this year then they need to run the ball and dink and dunk a defense to death and boredom until they get set up for a big bomb down the field. Smart Logical football is all the team is really asking of Ben.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,039 Times in 547 Posts

Not asking Ben to change his game, asking him to throw the ball away after 6 seconds instead of 12. He can still scramble, just limited the chances of mistakes. Ben getting injured cost us high seed. I believe if he was healthy in the SF game, we win the game.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,264 Times in 3,960 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Ben Roethlisberger shrugs off hits, suggestions to change style

By Aditi Kinkhabwala NFL Network
June 18, 2012

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 314 times in 114 career starts, an average of 2.75 per game.

PITTSBURGH -- In the NFL, quarterbacks have the million-dollar arms and the protect-at-all-costs bodies. So in practice, quarterbacks wear red jerseys, ones that scream, "Do not touch!"

Except at Pittsburgh Steelers practice. There, there are only white jerseys and black jerseys. And a quarterback who thinks he's a hockey player.

"I don't think we could ever have a -- I don't want to say prissy -- but I don't think we could ever have that style of quarterback here," safety Troy Polamalu said.

"Ben," safety Ryan Clark said, "is a real football player."

Ben, of course, is Ben Roethlisberger, the 6-foot-5, two-time Super Bowl-winning signal caller who, in the ninth year of his career, still doesn't understand the concept of saving his body.

Roethlisberger was a regular on the injury report last year. A shot to the knee, a sprained foot, a broken thumb, a high ankle sprain ... On it went, a badge of honor to his teammates -- "He's beat up like everybody else is beat up," Polamalu said -- but a (broken) bone of contention for Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Rooney suggested Roethlisberger "tweak" his game back in January, after a beat-up Roethlisberger wasn't at his best both at the end of the season and in an unpleasant, opening-round playoff loss in Denver. So the question this year becomes: Is a smarter, more productive Roethlisberger one who goes down, runs out of bounds and does all those things his mom begs him to?

"Oooh," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said.

"Um," tight end Heath Miller said.

Cotchery hemmed, Miller hawed. Cotchery called it a good question and then said he's glad he's not a coach. Miller chuckled and then said there are plenty of times he watches tape of his quarterback scrambling under, past and just plain over tacklers and says, "What was Ben thinking?"

And then both said they wouldn't want a more careful, less reckless Roethlisberger on their football field. Miller said Roethlisberger's toughness trickles through every part of the Steelers' roster. Cotchery said without the hell-bent crazy, Roethlisberger wouldn't be, well, Roethlisberger.

"I think the way Ben plays is what makes him special," Cotchery said. "You never want to take that away."

Most quarterbacks, if they get hit enough, see their numbers slide. Swarm them enough, bother them enough, their accuracy slips. Not Roethlisberger. He keeps coming, staying upright after hits that would pancake a lineman. The flip side? Does he really need to be taking hits that would pancake a lineman?

"It's just: Don't take hits," Roethlisberger said of his advice to himself. And then, "But I don't know how to do that."

"Of course you don't want him to get hurt," Clark said. "You take the good with the bad. That's like me telling Troy, 'Hey Troy, I want you to do exactly what the book says every play.' You take away someone's greatness when you limit what they can do with their athletic ability or their God-given talent."

And yet, Clark acknowledged, "We need Ben on the field. We need a healthy Ben Roethlisberger to be a healthy Super Bowl contender."

Roethlisberger has been sacked fewer than 40 times in season exactly once in the past six years, in 2010, when he spent the first four games of the year suspended. He's been taken down more than any other quarterback in that span and conventional wisdom says a signal caller that rash with his body gets defensive players salivating. A guy who insists on extending plays extends time to get walloped, right?

"No," Ravens nose tackle Haloti Ngata said, shaking his head, smiling politely and yet all the while saying: Take that conventional wisdom under some other center.

"That's a hard quarterback to get down. When people actually hit Ben, he's moving in different ways," Ngata said.

Right, but all that moving around makes him extra vulnerable. Sure, Eli Manning looks like a goober when he does his slide thing, but a defensive player can't (legally) hit him if he's down. And that caution means the Giants know he'll be there, the next series, the next quarter and the next week.

"Yeah, maybe, but that's the thing about Ben," Ngata said. "He's a big guy himself. For DBs, safeties, smaller linebackers -- it probably hurts them more than it hurts him. ... If I was him, I wouldn't change anything."

And as far as Roethlisberger is saying now, he won't. In fact, he was almost defiant in promising, "I'm going to play the game the way I know how."

So yes, he can be en route to becoming a father later this year. Yes, he can be 30 and find aches don't ease as fast as they did at 20. Yes, his boss can offer a directive, masked as a suggestion. But change?

That's for the offensive line, refashioned with the Steelers' first- (David DeCastro) and second-round (Mike Adams) picks. That's for new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook, which has new protections. That's for the running backs, who will chip more, and for the receivers, who have to be better about getting into their hot routes on time. What it's not for is Roethlisberger, who patiently answered my every question, never conceded that there may be power in prudence and ultimately said this:

"I don't think I'm prissy."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...o-change-style
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #16
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
That's for the offensive line, refashioned with the Steelers' first- (David DeCastro) and second-round (Mike Adams) picks. That's for new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook, which has new protections. That's for the running backs, who will chip more, and for the receivers, who have to be better about getting into their hot routes on time. What it's not for is Roethlisberger, who patiently answered my every question, never conceded that there may be power in prudence and ultimately said this:

"I don't think I'm prissy."
This^. Ben's "style" is just running from defenders that have blown by the offensive line. If the offensive line plays well and Haley has the right protections in place Ben's "style" will change by default. Ben doesn't leave good pockets, look how he stayed in the pocket and picked apart Tennessee and New England, so if the pocket is good his game will change on it's own. If all goes well, the O line plays well, the protections are correct, and the running game is effective, Ben will get very little pressure. The blitz won't be brought often when the quick pass and toss sweep are a threat, and when they do bring it I am confident in our O line to pick it up most every time. I can't wait for this season to start!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
This^. Ben's "style" is just running from defenders that have blown by the offensive line. If the offensive line plays well and Haley has the right protections in place Ben's "style" will change by default. Ben doesn't leave good pockets, look how he stayed in the pocket and picked apart Tennessee and New England, so if the pocket is good his game will change on it's own. If all goes well, the O line plays well, the protections are correct, and the running game is effective, Ben will get very little pressure. The blitz won't be brought often when the quick pass and toss sweep are a threat, and when they do bring it I am confident in our O line to pick it up most every time. I can't wait for this season to start!!!
Well stated. What is perceived as his "style" is indeed largely a result of more than average pressure. Also, the Greg Cosell article posted the other day supports your assertion that Roethlisberger is not one to vacate a clean pocket for no reason:

Quote:
One part of Roethlisberger’s improvement for which he does not get enough credit is his ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. It sounds strange to say that, because that’s the essence of NFL quarterbacking: delivering from the pocket. Yet the continued emphasis on his distinctive style has led many to disregard his pocket passing. I charted all 60 of Roethlisberger’s pass plays of 20 yards or more in 2011. Only five of them came outside the pocket. Time and again, Roethlisberger exhibited one of the most essential attributes necessary to play at a consistently high level: the ability to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver the ball with accuracy. That’s an element of his play that often gets overlooked. It shouldn’t.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
agree. he's proved he can surgically pick apart defenses when he doesn't have defenders in his face 1-2 seconds after he snaps the ball. adams and decastro will be huge additions
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Ben is dumb. If you can't read between the lines then maybe you are too. What Ben has said and is saying is that he can't read defenses and he does not understand protections. He needs 5 or more seconds to do what other good QB's can do in 2-3 seconds. It's like a smart kid doing a math problem really fast and a dumb kids needing to count on his fingers.

Ben is big, strong, and athletic, but he is not smart. The best athletes are not the best QB's. There have been many great athletes that played QB and almost all of them don't have rings or are even in the league long. But the smart ones last a long time and make bad teams look good.

Ben has rings yes but he had great teams as well. Ben plays best when the Steelers run the ball well, has a ton of time in the pocket, and when the D is ranked in the top 5.

Again not a smart QB but a very big and athletic QB.

To say I don't know how to not take hits even sounds stupid. Any smart QB understands that means read the coverage, see the protection, understand what the play is and get the ball to the best read as fast as possible. If not then get rid of the ball by throwing it away. Not Dhuuu...I don't know how. That just sounds caveman-ish.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Cheeky

A better running game will help and quicker throws. I don't mind Ben's game, he is a play maker...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote