Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Ben on NFL Network today

Quote:
Originally Posted by California-Steel View Post
Ben is dumb. If you can't read between the lines then maybe you are too. What Ben has said and is saying is that he can't read defenses and he does not understand protections. He needs 5 or more seconds to do what other good QB's can do in 2-3 seconds. It's like a smart kid doing a math problem really fast and a dumb kids needing to count on his fingers.

Ben is big, strong, and athletic, but he is not smart. The best athletes are not the best QB's. There have been many great athletes that played QB and almost all of them don't have rings or are even in the league long. But the smart ones last a long time and make bad teams look good.

Ben has rings yes but he had great teams as well. Ben plays best when the Steelers run the ball well, has a ton of time in the pocket, and when the D is ranked in the top 5.

Again not a smart QB but a very big and athletic QB.

To say I don't know how to not take hits even sounds stupid. Any smart QB understands that means read the coverage, see the protection, understand what the play is and get the ball to the best read as fast as possible. If not then get rid of the ball by throwing it away. Not Dhuuu...I don't know how. That just sounds caveman-ish.
Tom Brady holds the ball forever too, but he doesn't have defenders in his face right when the ball is snapped
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #22
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Ben is dumb. If you can't read between the lines then maybe you are too. What Ben has said and is saying is that he can't read defenses and he does not understand protections. He needs 5 or more seconds to do what other good QB's can do in 2-3 seconds. It's like a smart kid doing a math problem really fast and a dumb kids needing to count on his fingers.

Ben is big, strong, and athletic, but he is not smart. The best athletes are not the best QB's. There have been many great athletes that played QB and almost all of them don't have rings or are even in the league long. But the smart ones last a long time and make bad teams look good.

Ben has rings yes but he had great teams as well. Ben plays best when the Steelers run the ball well, has a ton of time in the pocket, and when the D is ranked in the top 5.

To say I don't know how to not take hits even sounds stupid. Any smart QB understands that means read the coverage, see the protection, understand what the play is and get the ball to the best read as fast as possible. If not then get rid of the ball by throwing it away. Not Dhuuu...I don't know how. That just sounds caveman-ish.

yep he's too dumb...
did you by any chance watch the steeler / patriot game 2011 ?
remember how the media morons kept repeating the same stupid phrase over and over ? ..."ben out bradyed the brady"
incase you missed the game , i'll translate... ben and the offense ran brady and the pats dink and dunk offense to PERFECTION.
on the other side of the ball the steelers defense took away brady's dink and dunk game.
could it be that maybe the douchebag calling the plays might have had something to do with it ? calling plays that have the receivers running 20-40 yd routes take a bit more time to develop than the 5-15 yard routes those "smart" qb's have called.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Pittsburgh passers threw a total of just 65 stretch vertical passes (those thrown 20-plus yards downfield), a total that ranked 18th in the NFL. If the additions of DeCastro and Adams can shore up the pass blocking, Ben Roethlisberger should be able to improve his stretch vertical attempts (passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield) total to the 80-90 range. If the Steelers gain 15 yards per attempt on those aerials, it would equal between 1,200-1,350 stretch vertical passing yards, a big leap from last year's 787 yards on deeper throws.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...should-improve
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

[QUOTE=Dodens Grav;1016995]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...should-improve[/Quote

This figure shows passes actually attempted, not plays that were called and then scraped because of a line break down resulting in a sack. But even so these figures show that Arians offense was not as deep ball happy as some would lead you to believe. With threats like Wallace and Brown the deep ball should be in play often to "open" up the underneath plays, of course some will say you establish the run to "open" up the passing game. It is the never ending question, which comes first?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:

You watching the same games the rest of us are? Ben can't throw in 2-3 seconds to receivers that haven't completed their routes yet. BA rarely called quick-hit routes. Ben has pretty damn decent numbers considering how poor his OL has been the last few years, and the OC inability to call a game worth a crap.

Brady writes a novel in the pocket with the protection he has. Peyton is pretty good at throwing the quick throw, but he can't run so he has to!
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
as ricco pointed out , the stat only shows the passes that were actually thrown...
here's a look at how what cali steel labeled a "smart qb" distributes his passes...
%.........................0-10 yds...........15-20 yds.................20 yds+
tom brady..............70.9....................21.7..........................7.4

http://www.patspulpit.com/2012/2/15/...-links-2-15-12

Quote:
Since 2007, Wes Welker has 554 receptions in the regular season. But only 11 of those receptions have been caught on passes thrown 20+ yards in the air, such as this pass was. Thatís only 1.99% of his receptions. One of those passes was by Matt Cassel in 2008, leaving just 10 career connections between Brady and Welker on passes over 20 yards down the field in the regular season.

In seven playoff games together, Welker doesnít have a reception longer than 19 yards no matter where the pass was thrown to.

Why would anyone expect Welker to make a play like that 100 times when heís never done it anywhere close to 100 times in his career? Heís the underneath slot machine. All the bread and butter plays between Welker and Brady are on short routes (under 8 yards). Itís not a surprise they would be out of sync on a pass and catch they practically never make together.
as i pointed out before , ben can play the role of the "smart qb" when the dipshit OC has a "smart" game plan...

Quote:
Playing efficiently and working almost exclusively on short, safe, underneath routes, Roethlisberger completed 36 of 50 passes for 365 yards and two touchdowns as the Steelers won their fourth straight following a 2-2 start.

"We can be as good as we want to be," Roethlisberger said. "When we don't kill ourselves and stop ourselves, we can be pretty dangerous."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...#ixzz1yfKMdivA
Quote:
Roethlisberger has built a career and won two Super Bowls by chucking it deep with abandon. On Sunday he didn't complete a pass over 26 yards. He didn't have to.

Roethlisberger consistently found Antonio Brown (a career-high nine receptions), Heath Miller (a season-high seven grabs) and speedster Mike Wallace (seven catches) on short and intermediate routes.

The West Coast-style approach worked perfectly.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...#ixzz1yfKeXd8l

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Ben Roethlisberger: I don’t know how to avoid taking hits

actual headline

Ben Roethlisberger: I can't avoid taking hits because my O-line has been dogshit for years, but I can't say that
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,096 Times in 2,158 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Ben Roethlisberger: I donít know how to avoid taking hits

actual headline

Ben Roethlisberger: I can't avoid taking hits because my O-line has been dogshit for years, but I can't say that
+1.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Ben Roethlisberger: I donít know how to avoid taking hits

actual headline

Exactly^

Quote:
Ben plays best when the Steelers run the ball well
We haven't ran the ball well in a while but he's been playing pretty good

Quote:
has a ton of time in the pocket
That's when every QB plays his best

Quote:
and when the D is ranked in the top 5.
Of course the team is more successful with a higher ranked defense, but that doesn't really directly affect Ben's play. Yes the situations he's put in may be better with a good defense, but when it comes down to making plays that doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Ben has shown that he can pick apart defense's just as good as Brady when that's the game plan and the O line plays at least somewhat decent, he did it to Brady's team after all. He's not stupid he just doesn't understand how to properly handle the media. He says things that make him look stupid and sometimes disrespectful. Saying that he didn't know how to avoid the hits sounds stupid, but in reality it's not because the hits are due to a bad O line. It's a little uncomforting to hear him say he is going to have to "learn where the protections are". Although he should know where the protections are, it's likely that Arians offense did not require that, thus no time was spent practicing it. Sounds like a lame excuse but that's how lame Arians offense was. DeCastro, Adams, and a healthy Colon will be huge additions to the O line this year and if the starting 5 stay healthy Ben may be one of the least sacked QB's in the league this year. He also might be the most efficient QB this year. He won't have a 5,000 yard season because we will be running the ball more often, but with our targets, proper play calling, and some time to throw, I can see him having the highest completion percentage in the NFL.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Defense has and will always be the cornerstone of any championship quality team in Pittsburgh. Now while last years defense was remarkable in nearly every way they were near the bottom in creating turnovers. You do not create turnovers you do not get short field situations. While the defense excelled in scoring and total yardage defense they also allowed the other team to at least punt often yet that results in longer fields for your offense. I believe our offense rated last in the league in average starting field position, this cannot happen this year. Our defense needs to create some turnovers, our offense needs to eliminate about a third of our own turnovers and in turn we should score more.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote