Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts
Default N.F.L. Fans Will Have Access to Coaches’ Film

The N.F.L. is giving fans the chance to pay to see the same game film that players and coaches review. That should lead to better analysis, despite what critics like Charley Casserly said last year.

Kevin Clark, The Wall Street Journal: “The footage, which will be released on the league’s “Game Rewind” package, was long-desired by NFL fans but not granted for every play until now. The service that includes the All 22 will cost $69.99 and feature every play once the game is over.”

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: ”You can watch using the broadcast feed, with the option to click on the coaches’ film on any play. Or you can just go all coaches’ film, all the time. That’s all we ever wanted.”

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...lm/?ref=sports

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: N.F.L. Fans Will Have Access to Coaches’ Film

Cool! This stuff has been locked up for quite a while.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Can I see the NE practice tapes?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

So it's on NFL.com or is it going to be a Sunday Ticket add on?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
So it's on NFL.com or is it going to be a Sunday Ticket add on?
NFL Rewind which is on NFL.com

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/sec...es?ttv=3&ttp=3

That also offers online replays of network broadcasts of all games from 2009 - 2012
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Would be cool if it were free
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

NFL opens Pandora's Box by offering All-22 tape to public

By Michael Lombardi NFL Network
Front Office View
Published: June 22, 2012 at 11:56 a.m.

The All-22 film allows viewers to see every player on the field at the same time -- a must in coaching circles.

When I was working for the Cleveland Browns back in the early 1990s, then-owner Art Modell routinely asked me questions after each game. He always prefaced them with a declaration: "Now, kid, you know I am not second-guessing, but rather first-guessing ... " With the NFL allowing fans to view the All-22 film this season, I have a feeling there is going to be plenty of first-guessing in every NFL city after every game all season long.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features. Get NFL Game Rewind.

Yogi Berra once said, "You can see a lot just by observing." With the All-22 tape -- a staple in coaching circles which quite simply allows the viewer to see all 22 players on the field at the same time, as opposed to just following the ball -- observations will be made across America. But here's the fundamental question: From this influx of observations, will the right conclusions be drawn?

It is one thing to simply watch the All-22 coverage. It is quite another to understand what is really happening on the field. There are people in some personnel departments across the league who will watch the All-22 and not be certain which players deserve blame and which ones deserve praise. This is not a knock on personnel folks, but rather a tribute to the complexities involved in just one football play.

Professional football has become a game of high-level chess. Therefore, if the people critiquing the All-22 tape are not well-versed in the strategy, the potential for misinformation becomes even greater. Bottom line: Mondays in the NFL just got worse for all the coaches who lose on Sundays.

Early in my career, I drove Hall of Fame 49ers coach Bill Walsh around in his car. Oftentimes, our conversations centered on my goals -- how I could reach them, and what I ultimately wanted to become. At that time, I thought I really knew the game of football. But in reality, each time I viewed the All-22, I was just watching film. Not studying, not improving, not learning. Just running the machine. As Coach Walsh would tell me, I did not understand the play, so I couldn't correctly evaluate the player. Each time you watch the All-22, you must be able to simultaneously assess the play and the player to understand both. This is not easy for some in the NFL, let alone fans who want to access the coaches' tape.

And therein lies the problem with All-22 tape becoming available to the general public, particularly when it comes to passing plays. Someone will be open and many fans will assume that the quarterback did not make the right read or was locked onto another receiver. Yet in reality there is a progression on every pass play -- based on the coverage -- that a quarterback must rely on to determine who gets the ball. What might appear to be open on the All-22 might not be on the progression.

Correctly studying the All-22 requires a complete understanding of schemes -- both offensive and defensive -- and what each player is supposed to do on each play. Let's go back to the example mentioned above, where it appears a receiver is open, but the quarterback does not get him the ball. The viewer must know the coverage and understand the principles of the coverage -- what looks like man at times can really be matchup zone -- before determining whether the quarterback really missed a potential target. Computing all of this information is very difficult if you are not in the meetings each day, not around the team and not privy to the playbook.

By allowing everyone to see the All-22 film, the NFL has opened up Pandora's Box -- which is fine, as long as everyone understands that many observations are going to be wrong.

Fans should want to watch football from the coaches' viewpoint, as it will help broaden their knowledge of the game, allowing them to see more than just where the ball is going. But be careful what conclusions are drawn and always preface your observations like my old boss Art Modell did, with a "first guess."

Follow Michael Lombardi on Twitter @michaelombardi

Want to access the All-22 film for your favorite team?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote