Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Whats the word on Sly

Any news about how Stevenson Sylvester is looking in these mini camps as far as understanding the defense and being a capable backup to foote or push him for the spot?
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

He's been limited with an injury that I believe has been undisclosed up until this point. Kevin Colbert also said in a recent interview that he had some injury issues during the past season that hampered him as well.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Birds the word.

Good question. I'm quite curious too. I've read an article on yardbarker.com that wasn't sounding too promising. Some crap about him only playing decent ball on spec. Teams. Blah blah blah....

That's just one journalist opinion though.

I'd appreciate any added input.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

I think Sly is going to be competing with newly-signed Brandon Johnson for a roster spot and my money is on Johnson who is very good on special teams.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Yep, that's basically what I've read 5-0.

I've liked Sylvester. Definitely didn't hate on him..... I hope he breaks out.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Yep, that's basically what I've read 5-0.

I've liked Sylvester. Definitely didn't hate on him..... I hope he breaks out.

me too, may the better man win.

wonder what Sly's undisclosed injury is that has kept him out of OTAs?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post

. I've read an article on yardbarker.com that wasn't sounding too promising. Some crap about him only playing decent ball on spec. Teams. Blah blah blah....

That's just one journalist opinion though.
Was that the opinion of a Journalist, or just some blogger that hasn't even seen Sylvester play?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Was that the opinion of a Journalist, or just some blogger that hasn't even seen Sylvester play?
it was by Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot and he's very knowledgeable:

Just How Safe Is Steelers Inside Linebacker Stevenson Sylvester?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed veteran inside linebacker Brandon Johnson to the roster on Wednesday and immediately the status of 2010 fifth round draft pick Stevenson Sylvester is called into question.

The first thing that you have to keep in mind is that the Steelers are apparently down three linebacker bodies at mini-camp as James Harrison, Jason Worilds and Sylvester are sidelined right now. Harrison reportedly has fluid on his knee and Worilds is recovering from off-season wrist surgery. The nature of the Sylvester injury is still unknown at this time, but he reportedly missed some time during the OTA sessions in addition. Add all of this up and you can see why Johnson, who was worked out by the Steelers back in early May, was signed.

Sylvester has seen just over 70 snaps on defense during his first two seasons in the league, many of which have come late in blow-out games. 35 of those 70 plus snaps came against the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens in weeks 8 and 9 last season due to injuries to the Steelers linebacker corps, and the Utah product did not flash in either of those two games. Sylvester has contributed on special teams during his first two seasons, but that is about it.

Early in the off-season the Steelers released veteran James Farrior and it was thought that Sylvester would possibly be a lock to back up veteran Larry Foote as the strong-side linebacker in 2012. Following the selection of inside linebacker Sean Spence in the third round of the draft back in April, linebacker coach Keith Butler was asked if Sylvester has long-term starting potential. "I need to see more from him," said Butler. "He might think he does, but he has to convince me first." Butler also noted that his young linebackers missed valuable time last off-season because of the lockout. "What probably hurt our young guys last year, (Stevenson and Worilds) those two guys didnít have OTAs. Most of the time young linebackers get better their second year because of the OTAs," said Butler. "The first year, they come in and they go through a complex system. Theyíre having to think out there, and as a consequence they donít move very fast. Theyíre thinking. The next year they come in and itís night and day for them because of repetition. They go, ďOh, thatís what we did. That makes sense now.Ē They move much faster. Well, these guys didnít have the benefit of those OTAs, and we had to get them in training camp and they were like rookies. Instead of having the OTAs and the minicamp again and then the training camp, they just had training camp. We took out two-thirds of that process for them to learn by having the lockout. That hurt them quite a bit in my opinion, and Jason Worilds really came on for us at the end of the year. Iím sure that Sly will do the same thing this year."

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert was asked about Sylvester last Thursday when OTA sessions wrapped up, and if he would compete with Foote for the starting BUCK position this season. "Yeah, we have Larry and we have Stevenson Sylvester, who had a good rookie year, especially on special teams," said Colbert. Last year he had a little bit of a knee problem that nagged him and held him back for the season. They'll come in and they'll compete for that spot. Of course Larry is a veteran, and he will be ahead of him right now, but Sly will definitely give him some competition, because like I said, the rookie year we were kind of excited in him, but last year he had a couple of setbacks."

The comments that Colbert made were pretty generic, just as one would expect, but he did reveal that Sylvester had a knee problem that nagged him last year. Sylvester also showed up on the injury report with calf injury last year, but he was only inactive for the week 12 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

While Sylvester has made his mark on special teams, the recently signed Johnson is also known as a superb special teams player, and was even the special teams captain at one time when he was with the Cincinnati Bengals. Johnson, while not regarded as a full-time starter type of player, has played both the strong-side and weak-side over the course of his career. Also not to be forgotten is inside linebacker Mortty Ivy, who reportedly had a good training camp with the Steelers last year and former Florida linebacker Brandon Hicks, who Butler noted last Thursday as a player that had caught his eye during the OTA sessions.

While roster moves, OTA reports and injury reports in June have to be taken with a grain of salt, you have to think that Sylvester has secured absolutely nothing in regard to a 53 man roster spot this year with training camp just a little more than a month away. Missing precious time on the field because of an injury does not help his cause and he needs to make sure he is 100% healthy by the time the team reports to Latrobe. It's not time to throw him out with bath water just yet, but his situation certainly is worth paying attention to once training camp begins.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ester/11004383
Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Gonzo, do you actually value the FILM STUDY ABILITIES of journalists more than "bloggers"? Pretty sure journalists have no particular aptitude for breaking down game film, so I don't see why their opinions of how a player performed during the season should be more highly valued by default.

Besides, all Bryan said was that he didn't "flash" in the two games he saw significant reps. Any idiot could reach that conclusion successfully, because he didn't "flash" at all.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Gonzo, do you actually value the FILM STUDY ABILITIES of journalists more than "bloggers"? Pretty sure journalists have no particular aptitude for breaking down game film, so I don't see why their opinions of how a player performed during the season should be more highly valued by default.

Besides, all Bryan said was that he didn't "flash" in the two games he saw significant reps. Any idiot could reach that conclusion successfully, because he didn't "flash" at all.
Why do you trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box, locker rooms or that have relationships with team officials??

Your point about a blogger making the same conclusion as "any idiot" is pretty much the reason that I think they both have the same validity, unless I can see some kind of documented CV or experience.