Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

I would love to hear how you concluded that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box" from what I said above. My point was that regarding some things, such as evaluation of how a player performed during the season, a professional journalist and an amateur one (aka a "blogger") are essentially on equal footing. Both of them have the same amount of access to the game footage. Now, why do YOU think an "accredited journalist" is more fit to give a player evaluation than a blogger, or at least a 'good' blogger? I honestly think that Dave Bryan probably watches more game tape on the Steelers than just about any Pittsburgh journalist out there. In fact, writers from the Tribune have cited Bryan's work before, and he's been frequently appearing on their online radio show recently as well, so his insights are clearly respected by some coveted "accredited journalists".

Now, the question is, does it matter if anybody said that Sylvester did not light up the playing field in his limited snaps on defense? I honestly can't imagine anybody that watched his regular season defensive snaps concluding anything but average at best play. Do you disagree? Do you think Sylvester looked like a hidden gem during his play against the Patriots and Ravens? Because that's what really matters here, not who said what and what that who's credentials are. I have yet to read anybody anywhere with any level of credibility say much of anything overly positive about Sylvester's play last year on defense, and that's probably because he didn't manage to do anything, and frankly looked uncomfortable.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
Rick5895
Team President
 
Rick5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St.Thomas, ontario , canada
Posts: 2,154
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5148
Thanks: 23
Thanked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

This will be Stevensons 3rd season with the Steelers, if he makes the team, something I doubt. Yes he did miss OTA's last season, however, he still had training camp, practice during the season and the experience of last season being his second. He should have at least picked up some of the defense. He appeared to not. He started 2 games and didn't register a tackle, and to me that is incredulous. A starting inside linebacker in our system not registering a tackle in 2 games playing the "buck". He registered a total of 7 tackles (4 solo and 3 assists) last season, that's not good enough for a special teams "ace" either. If those tackles were made in the 2 games he started then fine but they weren't.
I think the signing of the veteran ILB /special teams player and the fact the coaches appear to be impressed by IVY and the kid from Florida are very telling of Sly's future as a Steeler. It's either to lite a fire under him or to replace him. Guess we will find out which it is come training camp.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,496
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 420
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I would love to hear how you concluded that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box" from what I said above. My point was that regarding some things, such as evaluation of how a player performed during the season, a professional journalist and an amateur one (aka a "blogger") are essentially on equal footing. Both of them have the same amount of access to the game footage. Now, why do YOU think an "accredited journalist" is more fit to give a player evaluation than a blogger, or at least a 'good' blogger? I honestly think that Dave Bryan probably watches more game tape on the Steelers than just about any Pittsburgh journalist out there. In fact, writers from the Tribune have cited Bryan's work before, and he's been frequently appearing on their online radio show recently as well, so his insights are clearly respected by some coveted "accredited journalists".

Now, the question is, does it matter if anybody said that Sylvester did not light up the playing field in his limited snaps on defense? I honestly can't imagine anybody that watched his regular season defensive snaps concluding anything but average at best play. Do you disagree? Do you think Sylvester looked like a hidden gem during his play against the Patriots and Ravens? Because that's what really matters here, not who said what and what that who's credentials are. I have yet to read anybody anywhere with any level of credibility say much of anything overly positive about Sylvester's play last year on defense, and that's probably because he didn't manage to do anything, and frankly looked uncomfortable.
I apologize that I dont have time to read your laundry list of circlular questions and assertions. Honestly, after reading posts where you twice refer to Bruce Arians as the Steelers head coach......the rest is gibberish.

The series of events that lead to misinformation by some bloggers can be illustrated in this very thread:

1. Blogger watches some Steelers games and posts opinion on Sylvester.
2. Steeler fan reads blog that says "Sylvester only playing well on special teams", like Millerstheshit posted in post #3 of this thread.
3. Opinions snowball in fan forum's that Sylvester has not been playing well in OTA's or only showing promise in Special Teams, as fans believe the blog is reliable reporting and that Sylvester is on the way out.

Facts could be that Keith Butler thinks Sly is the 2nd coming of Derrick Brooks, but the blogger never interviewed coach Butler, rather just watched some games and posted his opinion.

I am sure that some bloggers are better than others, but none of them seem to post their background or experience. Until then I will rely on the writings/postings of guys like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Jay Glazer, etc. I just don't have time to read blogs from guys that work at Best Buy during the day and have a Steelers blog.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I apologize that I dont have time to read your laundry list of circlular questions and assertions. Honestly, after reading posts where you twice refer to Bruce Arians as the Steelers head coach......the rest is gibberish.
Okay, first of all, how is your first comment anything more than just you being an asshole? Because I accidentally wrote "head coach" instead of what I obviously meant to write ("offensive coordinator") you can't take me seriously? That sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to avoid responding to something that you have no argument against. You want to believe that Sylvester played quite well on defense last year because you like the player, so instead you throw out ad hominems against people that disagree with that. Why you even bothered to write that is beyond me. Kind of like how the authority of the writer is evidently more important to you than the authority of the argument the writer makes. The fact that you apparently ignore my posts because I accidentally wrote "head coach"? That's pathetic. Pathetic and embarrassing on your part. I apologize for taking you for somebody with more reason than that if what you say above is actually true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The series of events that lead to misinformation by some bloggers can be illustrated in this very thread:

1. Blogger watches some Steelers games and posts opinion on Sylvester.
2. Steeler fan reads blog that says "Sylvester only playing well on special teams", like Millerstheshit posted in post #3 of this thread.
3. Opinions snowball in fan forum's that Sylvester has not been playing well in OTA's or only showing promise in Special Teams, as fans believe the blog is reliable reporting and that Sylvester is on the way out.
How is this any different than when "an accredited journalist" does the exact same thing? Or do you not realize that it's no different at all? The opinions of "accredited journalists" on the quality of a player is no more or less accurate than amateur journalists, and I don't understand why you would think otherwise. They don't teach you how to break down game footage when you major in journalism, so how would they have any better of a grip on doing so? You think Keith Butler takes Gerry Dulac aside to show him Sylvester's game tape and how to break it down? He doesn't. Journalists are not football analysts and are no more likely to have played the sport or know much about the game's mechanics regardless of whether they are amateur or professional.

Your characterization of the article in question is far from accurate, anyway. Evidently you did not read it. It's no different than some things Dulac and Bouchette write on the PG+ blog where they occasionally speculate on things based on moves the team made. So for your benefit, here's a rundown of the article, which takes as its starting point the signing of Brandon Johnson.

Bryan notes that Sylvester is not the only one who has been limited in OTAs at linebacker and that that is why Johnson was brought in (because they need bodies). He then notes a recent interview by Colbert in which he mentions that "the rookie year we were kind of excited in him, but last year he had a couple of setbacks" due to a lingering knee injury. Bryan earlier notes a personal observation that Sylvester "did not flash" (his exact words) in his extended playing time against the Patriots and Ravens. Which quite frankly I've never seen anybody disagree with. When you consider that he didn't register a single statistic in either game, I find it hard to imagine that anybody could contest the legitimacy of the observation that he "did not flash".

Bryan then goes on to speculate that perhaps Sylvester's roster spot may not just yet be locked up already in mid June, and notes that while Sylvester's contributions thus far in his career have been pretty much entirely on special teams, Johnson is regarded as a high quality special teams player, having been the special teams captain of the Bengals at one point, and also has a chunk of notable starting experience. He also throws in a mention of Mortty Ivy. The bottom line is that he says Sylvester might not be just handed a roster spot on a silver platter but will have to actually fend off the competition, which frankly is reasonable as far as speculation goes. The article says nothing about him being "on the way out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Facts could be that Keith Butler thinks Sly is the 2nd coming of Derrick Brooks, but the blogger never interviewed coach Butler, rather just watched some games and posted his opinion.
You do realize that access to position coaches is pretty damn minimal, right? And that recent comments that Butler has made about Sylvester have not exactly been glowing praise? He does make note of Butler's comment that Sylvester needs to show him more and that Sylvester "might think he does [have long-term starting potential], but he has to convince me first".

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I am sure that some bloggers are better than others, but none of them seem to post their background or experience. Until then I will rely on the writings/postings of guys like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Jay Glazer, etc. I just don't have time to read blogs from guys that work at Best Buy during the day and have a Steelers blog.
You really seem to know nothing about Steelers Depot. It's not your average fan blogger. Average fan bloggers don't have their work cited by Mark Kaboly from the Tribune and are not invited to discuss the Steelers on the Tribune's radio show. It's funny, "accredited journalists" give Dave Bryan more respect than you do. If you actually read Bryan's writings on his site you would be aware that he's not your stereotypical blogger. And maybe you would also realize that your words mean more than your credentials.

Maybe you can actually attempt to address things that I say instead of feigning indifference because I accidentally wrote "head coach" instead of "offensive coordinator" once on an online forum. You give me no reason to believe that you're not just trying to avoid answering questions because you know you have nothing to respond with, because you're quite simply wrong.

And if you're wondering about my tone in this post, it's due to your lack of respect that you chose to show me in yours. I'm not going to respect what you have to say if I have no reason to expect a reciprocation.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,496
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 420
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,332 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Okay, first of all, how is your first comment anything more than just you being an asshole? .
Actually, my first comment was using some of the same language that you used several weeks ago in a thread about Colon. If you believe that condescending comments about others posts in this forum are the actions of an A-hole, then count yourself one.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Of course that's the only thing you respond to. You must have no argument against anything else I said. Also, please provide your evidence when you make claims. I continuously do so when I make claims as a courtesy to others.

I was really disappointed to see that you chose to take the route that you did in this thread. I'm still incredulous to your first statement because it just sounds completely absurd to dismiss everything a person has to say because he made a typo. But until you for once decide to actually respond to the points that I make, I am left to presume that your ad hominem responses and lack of substance in addressing my points is simply an indication that you can't defend your position. I'd still love to hear what you have to say about Sylvester's few dozen defensive snaps last year that even the coaches seemed underwhelmed by. I also hope that you some day learn that what is written should hold more weight than who wrote it.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,070
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 21,724
Thanked 23,020 Times in 9,393 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Sylvester's few dozen defensive snaps last year that even the coaches seemed underwhelmed by.
Agreed: his 2011 season was disappointing, especially after such a promising rookie season.

What could have caused the difference? IMO, I feel that it was a lack of a training camp. Young players need reps & coaching, neither of which Sly received last summer.  

Again, as a rookie, Sly looked outstanding (the Browns game).  Alas, in his second season, he looked lost.  This season, WITH COACHING (via having training camp), I am thinking we'll see more of that player that we saw promise in as a rookie.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

I think it had more to do with the lingering knee injury he had last year. Colbert mentioned it last week, and I believe Butler did as well, but this wasn't known during the season, like Worilds' wrist injury. I think he just needs more reps on defense to get more comfortable and he should be fine. However, I honestly don't know if he'll ever end up starting, and I say this more because of Sean Spence than because of Sylvester. I think Spence will be the next middle linebacker with Timmons after Foote is gone. Of course that's just a prediction
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15,070
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 21,724
Thanked 23,020 Times in 9,393 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I think it had more to do with the lingering knee injury he had last year. Colbert mentioned it last week, and I believe Butler did as well, but this wasn't known during the season, like Worilds' wrist injury. I think he just needs more reps on defense to get more comfortable and he should be fine. However, I honestly don't know if he'll ever end up starting, and I say this more because of Sean Spence than because of Sylvester. I think Spence will be the next middle linebacker with Timmons after Foote is gone. Of course that's just a prediction
I was unaware of the knee injury; that would make sense, as well.

Sore knee + no training camp = bad season.

Sly has the right temperament. He reminds me of Harrison. I hear you...but I'm not counting him out just yet.

Spence (IMO) is the new breed of ILB: used to negate the recent advent of TEs. Spence will play a LOT...early. Like a nickel-LB (akin to the nickel-CN, except he'll be covering the TEs). I had the kid pegged as a sleeper, like Zach Thomas: not big, but a great player.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Don't get me wrong, I actually do like Sylvester a lot. In fact, I liked him more than the other 2 LBs they picked that year, especially relative to their draft status. His game tape from college showed great instincts in coverage that really impressed me, although that hasn't been as apparent in the pros (even in preseason). And while I don't think he will beat Foote out in training camp to start week one (especially if whatever injury he currently has lingers on into preseason), I think there's a VERY real possibility that the team could start Sylvester after a while if Foote stuggles, and I expect the team to rotate him in more this year the way they rotated Farrior and Foote last year. He may even be the starter next season for all I know if they decide not to retain Foote. But I think the long-term goal would be to have Timmons and Spence in the middle, especially when you consider that they used a 3rd rounder on him. And they were really close to drafting Hightower as well if DeCastro had not fallen to them. So while I do agree with the basically universal consensus that Sylvester's current regular season defensive highlight reel is criminally unremarkable, that does not mean that I don't believe he's a good player that can contribute more than just on special teams and might even start some games during the next couple seasons. Right now he's the first LB up in the middle should Timmons or Foote miss a game.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts