Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #21
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 321
Thanked 879 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Hey Dodens, I might be walking into the middle of something I don't understand, but this looks an awful lot like a fight you picked. My question is "why?" You and Gonzo should both consider yourselves quality posters on SF by now, with nothing to prove to anyone. Let's move along if we can't keep it civil.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #22
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Well, I would beg to differ just a bit. I questioned why he believed that professional journalists were more skilled at film study than amateur journalists. He proceeded to claim that I trust amateur journalists more than professional journalists, and when I rebutted that point, he basically said that I'm an idiot not worth taking seriously because I wrote the wrong phrase once. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

The reason that I initially questioned him was, aside from the fact that I see no reason to believe that professional journalists are more skilled at film study than amateur journalists (excluding professional journalists that used to actually be involved in the sport), because I believed that his dismissal of Dave Bryan and his article was triggered by the fact that he likes the player in question, and I wondered if he would have brought up the author's credentials if the author agreed with him to begin with.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14,255
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 19,672
Thanked 20,856 Times in 8,671 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Spence in the middle, especially when you consider that they used a 3rd rounder on him. And they were really close to drafting Hightower as well if DeCastro had not fallen to them.
That is a great point. Sly "might" (or might not) pan out, but the Steelers were absolutely going to draft Hightower (& did indeed draft Spence). Ergo, they obviously see a need for an upgrade.

[Note: The Steelers historically have "over-drafted" LBs. It has worked, condidering they have been 5-6 deep at the position (Harrison behind Porter; Timmons behind Foote). This could just be more of the same...and not necessarily as much about Sly.]

Q: While I prefer Timmons as an ILB, might they be thinking of switching him to OLB (when Harrison retires/is released)? Timmons - Sly - Spence - Woodley [Just some food for thought.]
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 321
Thanked 879 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Well, I would beg to differ just a bit. I questioned why he believed that professional journalists were more skilled at film study than amateur journalists. He proceeded to claim that I trust amateur journalists more than professional journalists, and when I rebutted that point, he basically said that I'm an idiot not worth taking seriously because I wrote the wrong phrase once. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

The reason that I initially questioned him was, aside from the fact that I see no reason to believe that professional journalists are more skilled at film study than amateur journalists (excluding professional journalists that used to actually be involved in the sport), because I believed that his dismissal of Dave Bryan and his article was triggered by the fact that he likes the player in question, and I wondered if he would have brought up the author's credentials if the author agreed with him to begin with.
I guess my point here is that Hawaii 5-0 answered his question rather succinctly before you had the chance. No need to throw gasoline on that. And yet you did, from my perspective. I could be wrong, but then again an awful lot of conflict on these boards seems to center around you. At some point you have to accept the possibility that everyone else is right and you're wrong. Not factually, mind you, just tonally.

Tone it down.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,216
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 353
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,092 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Hey Dodens, I might be walking into the middle of something I don't understand, but this looks an awful lot like a fight you picked.
Ric, I agree with you here. As you know, I have posted on this site for several years and can only think of 1 poster that I ever had a problem with. The rest of the interactions with other posters have been respectful unless provoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

.
I used the "gibberish" comment as somewhat of an experiment. That is a comment that you referred to one of my posts about Willie Colon being better suited to guard as. I used your same verbage to see how you would react and of course you come off with an A-hole blast........classy.

I would suggest that you treat posters the same way that you would like to be treated, or else be more tolerant of when they treat you in the same manner.

I dont come here to pick internet fights or promote anything I have, just talk Steeler football with fellow fans. If you want to post opinions that you believe are the final word, on every topic that you weigh in on and then criticize all who have a different opinion......then expect criticism in return.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I guess my point here is that Hawaii 5-0 answered his question rather succinctly before you had the chance. No need to throw gasoline on that. And yet you did, from my perspective. I could be wrong, but then again an awful lot of conflict on these boards seems to center around you. At some point you have to accept the possibility that everyone else is right and you're wrong. Not factually, mind you, just tonally.

Tone it down.
Okay, well this is my perspective. I asked him a question. I wasn't answering a question, I was asking him a question. Then he made an accusation (that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation"). I used capital letters in my initial question, but that was to emphasize the subject of my question, not to shout. It's also not the first time that he's accused me of saying things that I haven't, either, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I generally only take a blunt tone when it's met with an equally blunt tone as well. I don't know what to do. People give me reputation points for sticking up for myself and defending my positions, so I'm getting mixed messages here. Maybe my tone is less light-hearted than most here, but I'm a serious person in general. And I also question people when I think they've gotten something wrong. I look back and read this thread and I see me asking a question, and I don't see anything wrong with asking that question. I see 3 words in capitals and I see the word idiot, although I didn't call anybody an idiot. Is this aggressive?

Edit: I decided to PM Gonzo instead of furthering this here.

Last edited by Steelersfan87; 06-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #27
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 321
Thanked 879 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Okay, well this is my perspective. I asked him a question. I wasn't answering a question, I was asking him a question. Then he made an accusation (that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation"). I used capital letters in my initial question, but that was to emphasize the subject of my question, not to shout. It's also not the first time that he's accused me of saying things that I haven't, either, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I generally only take a blunt tone when it's met with an equally blunt tone as well. I don't know what to do. People give me reputation points for sticking up for myself and defending my positions, so I'm getting mixed messages here. Maybe my tone is less light-hearted than most here, but I'm a serious person in general. And I also question people when I think they've gotten something wrong. I look back and read this thread and I see me asking a question, and I don't see anything wrong with asking that question. I see 3 words in capitals and I see the word idiot, although I didn't call anybody an idiot. Is this aggressive?

Edit: I decided to PM Gonzo instead of furthering this here.
Cool, thanks. Look, I'm not on as much as I should be, just pick up bits and pieces, so I'm not claiming even to know exactly what's what all of the time. Just making an observation based on limited evidence. As far as getting mixed messages, you're not getting that from me. I'm just playing Rodney King here (may he rest in piece)... can we all just get along?

And I want to stress that I think that you are both quality posters. Please keep up the good work. Carry on.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 9,286
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 8,404
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Cool, thanks. Look, I'm not on as much as I should be, just pick up bits and pieces, so I'm not claiming even to know exactly what's what all of the time. Just making an observation based on limited evidence. As far as getting mixed messages, you're not getting that from me. I'm just playing Rodney King here (may he rest in piece)... can we all just get along?

And I want to stress that I think that you are both quality posters. Please keep up the good work. Carry on.



__________________
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 321
Thanked 879 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post


Why do we always have to oil up before we hug?
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
Member Number: 18585
Thanks: 14
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Whats the word on Sly

Uh, Indian burns?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts