Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Name the Best/Worst NFL Analysts

Lots of attention for the Warren Sapp comments recently when he repeated his mantra that the Steelers defense is "old, slow and it's over" again recently. I was wondering which analysts people liked or did not like. Could someone fill me in I am curious.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,115 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Name the Best/Worst NFL Analysts

Can't stand Warren Sapp. That guy is seriously dumb. He says the Steelers are slow and old, then they are the #1 ranked defense in the league. He's already written us off this season as well proclaiming that the Ravens would win the AFC North. I don't really have any other analysts that annoy me, Sapp is the only one that seems to get under my skin. He talks out of his ass more than any other and then gets paid for it to make matters worse.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,951 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Chris Collinsworth is definitely near the bottom.

Merril Hoge is one of the better ones.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I actually like Collinsworth. He heaps tons of praise our way, but dishes it out, too, when we deserve it and tells it like it is (we need more of that instead of all the a**-kissing that goes on nowadays).
I also love Jon Gruden. You can't even leave the room when he's talking.
I like listening to Herm Edwards.
Phil Simms : while he certainly roots against the Steelers, there's no denying he's interesting in the booth

The worst?

Eric Mangini : Horrible. He is an apologist for EVERYONE....he can't and won't criticize ANYthing. I almost wonder if its an attempt to get on everyone's good side to get a job with another team again. I put him at or near the top of the "garbage".
Warren Sapp : I have no idea why he still has a job. Talks with a mouthful of marbles and its nothing but trouble and problems when he's not on the job as well.
Michael Irvin : no comment even needed
Dan Dierdorf : another "sport apologist" who doesn't dare criticize one of his own, offering excuse after excuse after excuse for everything
Chris Berman : his tired old act stopped being interesting, what...about 15 years ago?

Although i don't consider him one of the worst, i'm surprisingly not a big fan of Merril Hoge doing analysis.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Games:
Best: Al Michaels. Love his play by play. Just has that voice.
Gruden: I like him. Has good insights.
Worst: Jim Nantz: Can't stand him or Simms, they both seem to slobber over the Patriots, and it seems we get their games a lot.
Non-games
Simms: He's not dumb but as I said, it annoys me greatly that he and Nantz seem to slobber on the Patriots and ignore their faults.
Best: Mike Mayock: Seems to know what he's talking about. I like him as a draftnik more than Kiper because I think Kiper lets his Baltimore fandom influence him a little too much. Mayock is better because he's more impartial plus he's a former player so he has that personal insight.
Dan Marino: Always liked Dan as a player and I like him as an analyst too
Bill Cowher: Nuff said
Worst: Chris Berman: This isn't my joke but one I saw on another sports forum but anyhow "I liked Chris Berman but then I turned 12." Says it all about him really. He's just obnoxious. I find Eisen annoying for similiar reasons.
Deion Sanders: I find him patronizing honestly. I mean it's cool that he's mentoring younger players but his calling out younger players who make smaller mistakes than he did seems pot calling kettle black to me.
Boomer Esiason: Just seems to have a grudge against the Steelers. He's gotten better I guess
Sapp: Old, slow, and yeah that's why you don't make predictions after game one.

I used to dislike Collingsworth honestly but he could be worse. Still feels weird having him on Madden with Gus Johnson whom I've never actually seen call a NFL game and who is too obnoxious at least in the game for my liking.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Games:

I used to dislike Collingsworth honestly but he could be worse. Still feels weird having him on Madden with Gus Johnson whom I've never actually seen call a NFL game and who is too obnoxious at least in the game for my liking.

yeah...i never understood the 'dislike' around here for Collinsworth. There is NO announcer out there who praises the Steelers more than Chris does....but he'll call us out on dumb stuff too.....but he's more on our side than not on our side.
I also find his commentary interesting as he refuses to kiss the fraternity's a** and will criticize when needed....unlike people such as the terrible Dierdorf
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Marshall Faulk speaks with authority about things he doesn't bother to research.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Marshall Faulk speaks with authority about things he doesn't bother to research.

yeah...forgot about him. I'm not a fan.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
yeah...i never understood the 'dislike' around here for Collinsworth. There is NO announcer out there who praises the Steelers more than Chris does....but he'll call us out on dumb stuff too.....but he's more on our side than not on our side.
I also find his commentary interesting as he refuses to kiss the fraternity's a** and will criticize when needed....unlike people such as the terrible Dierdorf
Dierdoff and Gumble have to be one of the worst broadcasting tandems in the game. Also not a big fan of Aikman and Joe Buck more so Buck than Troy even if Troy is a former Cowboy, he's not a blind Dallas homer.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I can't stand Sapp or Faulk. Both of them have a hatred for the Steelers that is beyond belief at times. Neither one can be objective when it comes to anything. Faulk seems to think he was the best player ever and they both drool over the dog killer like he is the best player ever. Can't stand either one.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote