Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default Ben's permant injuries

"As a result, he is left with an odd sensation in his lips. If he touches them, they feel as if someone "has stuffed cotton swabs" in the corners where the surgeons made their entry.

"I can't feel if I have food on my face," he said."

Will that eventually go away?

"Only pictures on the right side or straight on, he said, before relaxing and explaining that he still has a cut on the left side of his head that he usually hides with a baseball cap."

Also is you watch the KDKA video it looks like he has a bald spot on the top of his head. Will his hair grow back there?

Im just curious.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Ben's permant injuries

Hopefully to his ego also.........

Whoops, did I say that out loud?

As for the dent on his head and if it will grow back. Well, I'm not a doctor and I never had that type of head injury but I would have to say that it won't grow back.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-25-2006 at 01:34 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts

hair dont grow back on scars.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
"As a result, he is left with an odd sensation in his lips. If he touches them, they feel as if someone "has stuffed cotton swabs" in the corners where the surgeons made their entry.

"I can't feel if I have food on my face," he said."

Will that eventually go away?

"Only pictures on the right side or straight on, he said, before relaxing and explaining that he still has a cut on the left side of his head that he usually hides with a baseball cap."

Also is you watch the KDKA video it looks like he has a bald spot on the top of his head. Will his hair grow back there?

Im just curious.
I'm not a doctor either, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (j/k)

I had a similar type of surgery over 5 years ago and for about 6 months after the surgery, I had numbness in the area of the surgical site. There are nerves in the jaw that may have been cut due to the severity of his jaw injury or they may have been aggravated during surgery. There are also blood vessels, muscles and tendons in the jaw that may have been affected by the accident itself or again - the surgery. Blood vessels in the facial area are very close to the surface and can easily be temporarily damaged. I'm sure his docs have explained this to him. Dr. Pituch is my family's oral surgeon and he leaves no stones unturned! Ben had the best in the business.

Tony is correct - hair does not grow back on a scar.

Remember, siss - bald is beautiful!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal

*rubs bald head*

Old 07-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

LOL yes bald is beautiful and Ben makes it look even better. Im sure he will grow his hair out to cover it up.

I was mostly just wondering about the numbness in his face and if it was permanent damage. I'm glad its not.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

These injuries are further evidence as to how lucky Ben was to come out of that accident as well as he did. I have read that if had not hit the (relatively) soft windsheld rather than a metal surface on the car he probably would have been permanenetly disabled or dead and that if the angle of impact would have provided blunt force to the upper rather than lower areas of his head he also would have been in deep s**t. Under the circumstances, having the apparent sensation of having received novacain at the dentist and needing to grow your hair out to cover a scar is not a bad deal.

I know it is his call, but why Ben refuses to do PSAs on needing to wear a helmet escapes me.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Tony is correct - hair does not grow back on a scar.

Ha ha ha. Weren't we all born bald, and are gonna go bald as we age. Well, except for the ladies.

I just remembered the man that I used to work with (he's the first Steelers fan I saw alive) said "Never make a fun of people for their age and bald head, because you'll go through the sam thing" to some juvenile kids in Utah. I wouldn't worry about baldness. Just bring us some more rings for the other hand, we'll do our best to be there when you need us, right?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

My step dad had similar injuries to his jaw after and ATV accident several years ago. He was numb also (dribbled a bit when he ate!!) but he eventually got the feeling back after the nerve endings regenerated.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
INOX
Water Boy

Member Number: 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
hair dont grow back on scars.

Got one right through my eye brow. No hair grows there, but the ladies like it!
INOX is offline   Reply With Quote