Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,962 Times in 3,514 Posts
Default Browns Draft WR Josh Gordon In Supplemental Draft

This guy may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer

Cleveland sacrificed a 2013 second-round draft pick to select Josh Gordon in Round 2 in Thursday’s Supplemental Draft....

Gordon measured in at 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds at a workout for NFL teams earlier this week. He also chalked up a 36-inch vertical and broad jump of just over 10 feet at that event, while his 4.52 40 time was lower than anticipated. Still, he has excellent speed for his size and showed off outstanding hands throughout a 42-catch sophomore season at Baylor....

Of course, that was in 2010.

Gordon has not played a competitive down of football since the Texas Bowl on Dec. 29, 2010, and he comes with the dreaded “character issues” label attached to him. Back in October 2010, Gordon and a then-Baylor teammate were arrested after falling asleep in a Taco Bell drive-thru. Police found marijuana in the car the two were in, though Gordon was not driving. Less than a year later, Gordon was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules; he later revealed that he had failed a drug test.

Gordon transferred to Utah, then changed his mind and entered the Supplemental Draft — but too late for the 2011 version, forcing him to sit out the entire year.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/07/12/receive...emental-draft/

How baked do you have to be for everyone in the car to fall asleep in the drive-thru?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,634 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Re: Browns Draft WR Josh Gordon In Supplemental Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This guy may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer

Cleveland sacrificed a 2013 second-round draft pick to select Josh Gordon in Round 2 in Thursday’s Supplemental Draft....

Gordon measured in at 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds at a workout for NFL teams earlier this week. He also chalked up a 36-inch vertical and broad jump of just over 10 feet at that event, while his 4.52 40 time was lower than anticipated. Still, he has excellent speed for his size and showed off outstanding hands throughout a 42-catch sophomore season at Baylor....

Of course, that was in 2010.

Gordon has not played a competitive down of football since the Texas Bowl on Dec. 29, 2010, and he comes with the dreaded “character issues” label attached to him. Back in October 2010, Gordon and a then-Baylor teammate were arrested after falling asleep in a Taco Bell drive-thru. Police found marijuana in the car the two were in, though Gordon was not driving. Less than a year later, Gordon was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules; he later revealed that he had failed a drug test.

Gordon transferred to Utah, then changed his mind and entered the Supplemental Draft — but too late for the 2011 version, forcing him to sit out the entire year.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/07/12/receive...emental-draft/

How baked do you have to be for everyone in the car to fall asleep in the drive-thru?
Before you get the food? Never happened. Soon after? A couple times.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

A second rounder!?!? Browns will be Browns I guess. I could understand a fifth or even fourth on this guy but a second for a team that is clearly in a rebuilding stage and needs all the picks they can get?
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,397 Times in 4,792 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Josh Gordon “more than shocked” after second-round selection

Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2012

When quarterback Tim Tebow joined the Jets, the word of the day was “excited.” For receiver Josh Gordon’s NFL arrival in Cleveland, the magic word is “shocked.”

“I was more than shocked for sure,” Gordon told FOX 26 Sports in Houston after being picked in the second round of the 2012 supplemental draft. “I definitely didn’t think that high, but I’m thankful for the opportunity. . . . I’m definitely in shock. It still probably hasn’t hit me yet.”

The former Baylor receiver perhaps shouldn’t be shocked. His agent, Jeff Nalley, thinks Gordon could have gone even higher, if he had played in 2011.

“Josh, in any other circumstances, is a first-round pick,” Nalley told FOX 26 Sports. “We talked to so many teams, did so much leg work with so many teams and they did their homework.

“What they found out was he’s a really good guy and he’s also a tremendous player. Every team that I talked to, they spoke to his ex-coaches. They spoke to his teammates from Baylor and not one had anything bad to say about him. It was good to see that come out during this process. I’m just excited for the kid.”

Still, Gordon was in the supplemental draft for a reason — and the reason is that he ended up leaving Baylor after being indefinitely suspended by the team in 2011 following a failed drug test.

Gordon’s former quarterback at Baylor, Robert Griffin III, offered a candid assessment of Gordon before the supplemental draft. “He’s been a kid that’s been in a bunch of unfortunate situations, and he knows that he was the reason that those [situations] happened,” Griffin told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “So I think any team that gets him, of course they’re gonna feel like they’re rolling the dice on the kid. I think that in the end, he’ll be successful if he wants to be successful. That’s all on him. And he knows that. He knows he’s used up all his chances and everybody’s watching him.”

The fact that the Browns rolled the dice by giving up a second-round pick in 2013 suggests that team president Mike Holmgren wants to get the situation in Cleveland turned around sooner rather than later. In fewer than three months, they’ve added four players on offense via the first two rounds of the draft: running back Trent Richardson, quarterback Brandon Weeden, tackle Mitchell Schwartz, and Gordon.

It won’t be easy to get Gordon up to speed for his rookie season, given that he didn’t play in 2011 and that he wasn’t involved in the offseason program. Then again, those same circumstances applied in 2011 to second-round receiver Greg Little, who didn’t play football in 2010 and (like every other rookie) wasn’t involved in the offseason program.

Still, a perennially bad team can become a consistent contender by making only a handful of great moves, and the Browns are at least giving their fans reason to hope that the corner finally is being turned.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...und-selection/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote