Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers’ Mendenhall says he’s healing ‘wonderfully’

Steelers’ Mendenhall says he’s healing ‘wonderfully’
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...rfriendly=true
By Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, July 13, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
Updated 2 hours ago

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall posted a Twitter message Friday that his injured right knee has “healed wonderfully.”

General manager Kevin Colbert said last month he expects the former 1,000-yard rusher to begin training camp July 25 on the physically unable to perform list.

Mendenhall tore the ACL in his right knee during the final regular-season game Jan. 1 against Cleveland. The normal recovery time for the injury is nine to 12 months.

Isaac Redman is expected to start at running back if Mendenhall isn’t ready for the Sept. 9 season opener in Denver.

Dawson, Brister, Maas join lawsuit

Hall of Fame inductee Dermontti Dawson, former Steelers quarterback Bubby Brister and 1980s-era Pitt defensive line star Bill Maas are among the more than 2,600 former NFL players who have joined in the nearly 100 lawsuits that allege the league long ignored the dangers of repetitive head injuries.

Dawson, who played for the Steelers from 1988-2000, will be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 4.

He and 46 other ex-players filed suit July 3 in Mississippi.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Steelers’ Mendenhall says he’s healing ‘wonderfully’

I really hope Mendehall misses the first 5 games. I want to see Redman carry the load for a while and see what he can do.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

I'd love to see Mendy ready at the beginning of the season, but with Redman we have NO need to rush him back, so lets make sure he's 100% before we play him, whenever that is.
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera176 View Post
I'd love to see Mendy ready at the beginning of the season, but with Redman we have NO need to rush him back, so lets make sure he's 100% before we play him, whenever that is.
Agree completely! If nothing else, we have 2 competent backs that hopefully are fresh late in the year.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

The question is.. If Redman plays remarkably and averages over 100 yards per game up to the time Mendy heals.. Do you keep Redman as the starter or have him backing up Mendy again?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Ironman55
Water Boy

Member Number: 24174

Besides Mendy, I am actually excited to see how Baron Batch does in his return. He was looking good before the injury last trainging camp. Chris Raney will fill the scat back role also. Bring on the pre-season baby!!

Last edited by Ironman55; 07-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Ironman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

I am sorry that Mendy got hurt but it has been stated over and over again that ACL injuries take at least two years to get back to normal especailly for a RB who has to make drastic cuts. If he plays this year at all I don't think he is going to have any explosiveness because a player tends to be very tentative. His explosiveness was almost non-existent before the injury as he danced behind the line all the time instead of hitting it hard. If he couldn't get it right before the injury, what makes anyone think he will be any better after it. I think Mendenhall will see the last of his time on the Steelers this year if he plays at all. They may have to put him on I/R so that they don't lose one of the talented RBs (Rainey and Batch) to some other team. I am not a huge Mendy fan although I think a lot of his problems were Arians and O-line related.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

His tweet gives or implies nothing about returning earlier than expected. Healing is one thing, rehabbing the ACL back into football strength and flexibility is another thing.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,342 Times in 3,990 Posts
My Mood: Cool

SB Nation Ranks Steelers RBs 30th in the NFL

by Neal Coolong on Jul 22, 2012

Apparently, SB Nation's Ryan Van Bibber is not aware of Steelers RB Isaac Redman's power over time and space.

He ranked the Steelers' running backs 30th of the 32 teams in the NFL recently, suggesting the possible absence of prize back Rashard Mendenhall will affect the team in a negative way.

Mendenhall tore his ACL at the end of the regular season, and could begin the year on the PUP list, which would keep him out of the first six games of the year.

Redman is the likely starter, and has done well in previous spot-starts in the past, including an impressive performance in a playoff loss in Denver.

The depth behind Redman, though, is a secret strength of the Steelers, and it's one of the main training camp battles to watch beginning Thursday.

Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay have logged carries during the regular season, and Baron Batch showed promise before tearing his ACL in training camp last year. Rookie Chris Rainey has great speed, and could be a contributor on special teams as well as a situational back on the offense.

While the Steelers won't likely keep all five, it is possible they do, assuming Mendenhall misses the start of the year.

That may not even happen, though, it's purely speculation.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...denhall-injury
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,555 Times in 886 Posts

I can't wait to see Mendenhall running into the back side of Ramon Foster again.... oh, that's right, No more BA, & Foster will be on the bench...

Seriously, I would not under estimate this running back group. This is a good group of young kids that if they stay healthy, could be with us for a while. From a depth perspective, this may be the deepest and most diverse pooIe of runners I can remember.

Add to that, from a talent perspective, they'll be running behind a vastly improved offensive line, that will be opperating a MUCH better offensive system.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote