Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Mendy in the 2010 AFC Championship Game

So I bought NFL rewind, mainly for the coach's film, and have been watching a few of the Steelers games with my neighbor/friend who I normally watch every game with. We both hated Arians and thought that him and the bad O line were the reason we haven't had a good running game in a few years or use the RB in the passing game. After re-watching the 2010 AFC Championship game though, I think it was mainly Arians. If you watch the the game, especially in the first half, Mendenhall is used correctly. The formations and directions of the runs ACTUALLY CHANGE and Mendy actually does better in the passing game then he does in the running game. He looked kind of like Ray Rice. Now he did get a few decent blocks, but overall the 2010 O line, just like the previous few years before it and just like last year, was not very good. The O line didn't change for that game, in fact Pouncey went out, but Mendy still had a great game and was generating the majority of our offense. Now with Haley replacing the jackass and an O line that should be extremely better (especially in the run game), does anybody thing Mendy gets another shot and tears it up? I think if he gets a chance this year he will look like a top NFL back. Problem is with as good as our O line will be and with the pressure Ben takes off the running game, anybody will be good running for us. Redman will likely look great so I guess the question is will Mendy even get a chance? But if he does, and he does excellent, do we keep him? This year I did not see him utilized correctly even once so there's not much to go off of last season. But re-watch the game if possible, he looks like he's got "it".
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts
Default Re: Mendy in the 2010 AFC Championship Game

now watch the superbowl vs green bay. pat kirwan and tim ryan have broken down the coaches film many times now.

green bay barely even tried to stop our running game and when they did try they were completely unable to do it. they were overmatched and the formations and success and match ups dictated we could run at will and watch rashard have a record setting day.

to this day they still cant figure out why arians and ben were hell bent on getting into a shoot out with aaron rodgers when EVERYBODY knew the way to win the game was to keep the ball out of his hands. instead we threw 3 interceptions and only ran in predictable situations (still having good success w/ it until clay mathews was calling out our plays).

thats why arians sucked. he thought putting together a gameplan meant doing the exact opposite of what conventional wisdom said to do, thinking he was going to fool or trick the opponents. every team knew this was his plan going into every game and he became very stale and incredibly predictable. its a testament to what great talent we have, that the steelers are still routinely a 12-4 team who can win in spite of telegraphing the entire offensive game plan every single week. .

mendenhall should be fine in the haley offense once 100% healed.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

i think Mendenhall will excel with Haley, but what happens to him after that is the question. We did run pretty well in the SB, the horror of the loss and the fumble (that was actually David Johnson's fault) is all that came to mind when I first thought about that SB. As far as getting in the shoot out, the way to win that game was the same way we beat New England, just running instead of quick passes. It was hysterical when he admitted to not taking advantage of match ups or changing the game plan despite both the Packers CB's getting injured.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Mendy ran all over the Jets in that Championship game. I hope Redman starts the season well and that gives Mendy a little more time to get ready. Then they can ween him in with 10 carries a game. I'd really like to see a stable of capable backs. But nothing wrong with 2 or 3 guys splitting 35 carries IMO.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Hope Rashard comes back with a vengeance....I still believe he has what it takes if he can get close to 100% again

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Hope Rashard comes back with a vengeance....I still believe he has what it takes if he can get close to 100% again
I agree. I didn't really see it till I rewatched some games and focused on it, but I think if utilized correctly he will look a lot like Ray Rice, especially with a better O line like Rice has had (ours will be better!). I just think there is a team that will see it and offer him way more then we will. I have been all for Redman starting, I thought Redman was a better fit for our offense as it was ran last year, but now I'm more concerned about not ever seeing Mendy's true potential, or seeing it on another team. A stable of backs is great, especially if one of them is a big guy like Clay, but I don't know if Mendy would stick around for that. The more I watch the more I think he can be big somewhere else.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

UGH. Please dont talk about SB XLV anymore. That game seriously makes me nauseous thinking about it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Should Mendy get another contract from us? Absolutely. Will he? I doubt it. We just can't keep everybody. Sadly, I think he will tear it up for some other team that will know how to use him properly... which is to say everyone except the Indianapolis Colts.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Did they break down how many times he spinned in that game?

according to some, he spins every time he touches the football.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,912 Times in 2,994 Posts

breakdown of last years AFCC game actually shows redman spins 0.9 times more per game than mendenhall did/does.