Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default How much are the rules hurting us? (warning: extremely long off season topic)

We are all sick of Goodel's new rules and it's obvious how it has hurt our team. The penalties have cost us big time and played a decent sized role in our 2nd loss to Baltimore this season. Also Harrison's suspension cost us at the worst of times. So there is no question that the rules, by design (just like they made the no contact after 5 yards on a WR because of the Steelers) have hurt our team at times. The thing that I am concerned with is how has it affected us overall? There was a time, just a few years back, where when commentators talked about playing Pittsburgh you would hear them say things like: "I just don't think the (insert team name) can handle getting hit this hard all game", things like: "the (insert team name) have never been hit like this" and other similar stuff. The more and more I rewatch games the more it's clear, the shear brutality of our defense was/is a major factor. Over the last couple years our defenders have had to worry more about not hitting a player late, not hitting a player a certain way, not getting to physical with a QB, making sure a WR has a chance to catch it and brace before a hit, etc. We still have had a great defense but it was obvious this year that it's just not the same. If you re watch some older games and look for it, even from 2008, you will see the affects we had on opposing offenses. The stands the defense would make in the 4th quarter were possible partly because the offense was weaker at the end of the game then at the beginning. Often times a player was out for the opposing offense by the 4th quarter. With our team as of late (since Beg Ben) we have successfully reigned over teams like the Ravens, Chargers, Jets, Bengals, etc. especially in the playoffs, and a lot of it has to do with being a more aggressive and physical team. Now with these new rules offensive players don't have to worry about getting hit so hard that they fumble and/or get hurt, they can just keep analyzing our defense and begin to figure it out, often times much earlier then the 4th quarter. When the offense doesn't get checked by the defense it can just keep coming at them and coming at them until something works. These new rules have took away the ability to check the defense. WR's focus more on being able to catch the ball because they know if Ryan Clark comes in and knocks them out while they are trying to catch it that they will get the 15 yards anyway, so it doesn't matter. QB's worry less in the pocket because they are getting as untouchable as the Punter and they know it. IMO it's obvious who these rules have hurt the worst. Different teams have different style's of play, some defenses beat you with speed, some try to outsmart you, but our style has been "be physical" (our defense is pretty smart too), and the rules have killed that style. In 2008, when we would stop a team 5 or 6 times straight and our offense would score 7 points total, I would think "there is no way the defense can stop them again".I would think that eventually something the opposing offense tries would have to work. But nothing ever worked, the opposing offense just didn't have enough in the tank to keep coming up with new stuff. Last year the defense was statistically #1 even though they failed at key points and never really passed the eye test IMO. No doubt injuries were probably the biggest reason, but the lack of turnovers has me concerned about Polamalu. This defense is totally different without him and if he's dropping off more this year then things might get rough compared to what we are used to. Some people believe that last year LeBeau was transitioning the defense to be more competitive in the new NFL, where speed and pass coverage trump physicality and defensive brutality. If that's the case and we were still #1 then we will be dangerous again. But I think the new rules have taken away our ability to play Steelers defense the way we always have, and defense has been the anchor of the team since the 70's. Does the defense become extremely dominant again? Does the offense exceed all expectations and take the pressure of our defense? Or do things change for the worse? Interesting to see what happens over the next few years, but it sure is nice being a Steeler knowing that even if our defense is not good by our standards, they will still be top 5.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: How much are the rules hurting us? (warning: extremely long off season topic)

Have you considered using paragraphs in your writing?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Default Re: How much are the rules hurting us? (warning: extremely long off season topic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Have you considered using paragraphs in your writing?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Unfortunately, with former players suing the NFL for money, the game will only worsen as far as physicality over the coming years. If the NFL greats of the past would quit suing the NFL because of the health problems their having outside of football (which they KNEW was a possibility before they started a career in the NFL), the NFL will either become safer, or go broke.

It's sad, but what's funny is, as you said, with all the safety, we're still the best.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

That is true, there should be protection for the league from understood risks. The league does provide health care for players after retirement correct?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I do. I can over look spelling, I misspell all the time. But a long post like yours is much easier to read if you have breaks. If nothing else places to stop and gather your thoughts before continuing. I have been called for no paragraphs also and I realized they were right. Continue with your contributions and every thing critical pointed out by others is not done with malice.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I believe we view the way officials call our games in a biased fashion. (Now I did not say we get a fair shake all the time), What I mean we notice calls that affect us in adverse ways, just like our "haters" like to point out calls they see as favorable to us..........(see Seahawks, Patriots, Browns, Bengals, Ravens, etc..) Do I think the "gentleman" rules of todays football hurt us, yes, but no more than it hurts the 49ers, Ravens, Giants, etc.... Our players and coaches have to adapt to the new NFL. We have already made strides in doing so.

Lets face it some plays do not belong in football, spearing, hitting defenseless players such as punters and or QBs after releasing the ball, horsecollars. As far as rules such as no contact beyond five yards I think the Patriots were as much the cause of that rule as us, esp. after they mauled Peyton's receivers in the playoffs one year. As much as I despise Roger and as much as some of these rules "hurt" football in general, the players are bigger, faster, stronger than ever before. Throw in equipment like helmets that are weapons in their own right than yea player safety has to be considered. If you want less illegal hits put leather helmets back on the players and watch how they change the way they tackle.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Ricco the 5 yards contact rule with the WR's was made for Mel Blount, the Patriots weren't having rules made for them till 2000 or 2001. And I understand safety has to be considered, but the game was pretty safe a few years ago without all the new bs. As far as the refs go, I totally disagree, even commentators have been pointing out some of the bad calls against us, and it's a higher number then those against other teams. Unfortunately there is no statistic for bad calls. And I disagree that it hurts other defenses as much as us, it does hurt them, but IMO not like us. You may be right though, again no statistic for that. As for the paragraphs, when I'm typing on my droid like that, that's how it's going to be. Cell phones have came a long way, but not long enough to use proper grammar in an online forum.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
You should if you want people to read what you write.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

While I understand the whole "protection" concept and all that great stuff...I don't understand the rules the NFL and it's shady comish have implemented into the league! You can't avoid concussions in a contact sport. Say what you want but your blind if you can't see how clear it is that Roger has beef with certain Steelers players.