Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Troy Polamalu: I've hid concussions

Troy Polamalu: I've hid concussions

Updated: July 18, 2012, 3:58 PM ET
ESPN.com news services
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...ed-concussions

With the NFL set to face scores of concussion-related lawsuits from thousands of former players, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu admitted Wednesday that he's lied about head injuries in the past in order to remain on the field.

Polamalu When you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion -- I wouldn't ... If that is considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year.

-- Steelers safety Troy Polamalu

"Yes, I have, for sure," Polamalu told the Dan Patrick Show, also noting that he has chosen to continue playing injured in games when the team's medical staff would tell him not to.

Polamalu said he didn't tell any "major lies" when it comes to concussions, but explained that football players see a distinction between a hit to the head that completely removes you from play and a lighter one that doctors view as a concussion.

"I've had, I believe, eight or nine recorded concussions. We'll have another conversation after I'm done playing football," Polamalu told the show. "When you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion -- I wouldn't ... If that is considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year."

The four-time All-Pro related it to a knee injury that a player can get through.

"Somebody may say, 'Is your knee messed up?' It may be kind of messed up but you just kind of push yourself to be out there with your brothers," Polamalu said. "I wouldn't say there are any major lies where I totally lied my way out of concussions. In fact, during concussions, if it's serious enough you can't even be conscious enough to lie."

More than 2,400 retired NFL players are now plaintiffs against the league, claiming the NFL knew repeated concussions could lead to brain damage and yet hid the information.

But Polamalu is the latest current player to admit being willing to hide a head injury. Bears Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher admitted in February he also would lie about a concussion to stay on the field.

Polamalu, who started all 16 games last season, said he's willing to conceal a concussion because of the commitment players make to their teammates and the sport.

"There's so much built up about team camaraderie and sacrifice, and football is such a tough man's game," Polamalu told the Dan Patrick Show. "I think that's why it's so popular, why so many blue-collar communities and people feel really attracted to it, because it's sort of a blue-collar struggle that football players go through in terms of the physicality of the game and the commitment you need. ... It's that commitment you need to play football. You feel sore, you're beat up, you're injured, you're legitimately injured, most people may take three months off to work in an office, we choose to play the next week."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,957 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Troy Polamalu: I've hid concussions

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-keep-playing/

Troy lies to team about concussions and doesn't consider getting his bell rung a concussion. There goes any argument that they players understand the risks. Troy just admitted how ignorant he is of the medicine. If he said he understood that each time was in fact a traumatic brain injury and that he is increasing the likelihood of permanent lifetime deficits when he lies to go back on the field, I would say he gets it and is hurting himself by choice, howerver stupidly. But he thinks it's no big deal and there he is simply wrong on the medical facts.

The rookie symposium and all league meeting should teach the truth about brain injuries.

Copied this post from the NFL concussion lawsuit thread.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Kind of explains his reasons for his lackluster plays in some games....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I guess there's no way of knowing, but I do wonder how often players get concussions. If Polamalu is correct and players get 50+ a season then I would think more older players would be vegetable types. I think Troy either doesn't know the difference from hitting your head and getting a concusion or he's right and most NFL players will look like Mohammad Ali by the time they are 60.