Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default DeCastro, Adams will have hands full

DeCastro, Adams will have hands full
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...lineman-season
About Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review Sports reporter Alan Robinson can be reached via e-mail or at 888-PIT-More Tribune-Review Tribune-Review

By Alan Robinson

Published: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 20 hours ago

Doesn’t matter where a player is drafted, how much money he earns, how many All-American teams he made or how many college games he dominated. There’s nothing easy about being an NFL rookie offensive lineman.

“There’s no comfort level, none at all,” said Alan Faneca, the most accomplished offensive guard to play for the Steelers and a player who well remembers what a challenge his rookie season was in 1998. “You’ve been thrown a playbook that’s two or three times bigger than it was in college. You’re going out on the field thinking, not playing.”

You’re lost.

Even the best players struggle with terminology, the playbook’s complexity, the significantly upgraded competition, Faneca said. The same lineman who spent a couple of seasons roughing up college undergraduates becomes overwhelmed going up against defensive linemen with 10 years of experience and a commensurately deep bag of tricks.

Faneca, a nine-time Pro Bowl lineman who retired last year, knows exactly what the Steelers’ top two draft picks, David DeCastro and Mike Adams, will be going through when training camp starts Wednesday in Latrobe.

DeCastro, from Stanford, is being called the best guard to come into the league since … yes, Faneca. Adams, a mountainous pass blocker who often obliterated pass rushers at Ohio State, will get the chance to start at left tackle.

But there’s a reason the Steelers brought back Max Starks, signing the offensive tackle to a one-year contract to compete with Adams. Game speed in the NFL is difficult for rookies, and the blocking assignments can vary greatly from week to week.

“What you get this Wednesday doesn’t look at all what you got last Wednesday,” Faneca said.

The only rookie offensive linemen to start a Steelers opener during the Super Bowl era are Tom Ricketts (1989), Marvel Smith (2000) and Maurkice Pouncey (2010). Faneca and Kendall Simmons (2002) also started as rookies, but not in the opener.

“It’s hard,” Faneca said. “It’s just not the same as college football. My rookie season, I was playing next to Dermontti Dawson, one of the all-time greats, and I’m trying to live up to that playing. But it was a veteran crew, and they imparted knowledge that stuck. After a while, that made it easier.”

The Steelers’ offensive line, a perceived weakness for years, is undergoing an overhaul that began in 2010 with the drafting of Pouncey, a center. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert came aboard last season, and DeCastro and Adams arrived this spring.

But DeCastro and Adams were limited to a three-day minicamp last month, and their first extensive exposure to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system won’t begin until next week. It seems likely DeCastro will start the Sept. 9 opener in Denver, but he still must beat out Ramon Foster and Trai Essex.

“It can be a struggle for a rookie,” said Jamie Dukes, an NFL Network analyst and a 10-season lineman in the league. “You don’t know the personnel. You don’t know (Bills defensive lineman) Mario Williams’ moves. You’re blocking several layers deep, and blitz pickup can be an issue.”

The advantage that DeCastro and Adams own over linemen who came into the league only a few seasons ago is that the proliferation of passing-heavy, spread-type offenses is speeding up the learning curve.

“How many rookie linemen start? Fifteen years ago, the answer was none,” said former Dallas Cowboys player personnel vice president Gil Brandt. “But the players we get today from colleges are so much better equipped to play in the NFL. Adams and DeCastro, they pass-blocked more in one year than the player we used to get did during an entire college career.”

In 2007, all four offensive linemen drafted in the first round — Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley and Ben Grubbs — became starters almost immediately.

Dukes said this familiarity with the passing game means “from an academic standpoint, it’s not as big a challenge that wide receiver or quarterback is. You just have to get up to speed.”

For all the challenges of developing brand-new linemen, the Steelers appear to be embracing them more eagerly than the rival Baltimore Ravens. And that might be the biggest difference between franchises with so many similarities and identical 12-4 records last season.

Even if Starks starts, the average age of the Steelers’ offensive line starters — with DeCastro in the lineup — would be 25½. All five projected Ravens starters are older than that, with an average age of nearly 32. And keeping linemen healthy as they age can be a challenge.

“But you’ve got to be up to the task,” Faneca said. “It’s how hard you work, your willingness to go out there and watch the older guys who are trying to help you along and lead you in the right direction.”

Alan Robinson is a staff writer for Trib Total M edia. He can be reached at arob inson@tribweb.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,569 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: DeCastro, Adams will have hands full

This was actually already posted in another thread, but it's no big deal. It'll be easier to see here.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

good read. i loved Faneca and hated losing him
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Welcome to the NFL boys hope you work out cause if you do we will have another ring or two for sure!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,331 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i'm 100% confident that decastro will make the lineup.

adams, i'm optimistic on him, but don't expect him to beat starks in his first go. I hope he does, though.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Goofy

I'm excited to see what these guys can do.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,097 Times in 2,112 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

I spent the last few hours at sea. Expected signing news when I got back. get on it

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,337 Times in 3,987 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Mike Adams still first in line to start at Left Tackle

July 20th, 2012

With the return of Max Starks to the Steelers many are questioning who will be the starting Left Tackle. It still looks though as if there will not be a question to who the starter is. Starks basically answered that question for us in an interview with WDVE. Starks plans to start the preseason on the PUP List. He still wants to start and plans to compete but by the time he can practice it may be to late.

That means that Mike Adams is still first in line to start. That is what he was drafted to do and that was what was expected from him. As a second round pick at the position of left tackle you are expected to contribute to the team.

The Steelers know what they are getting from Starks when he is healthy. Starting him on the PUP list is better for this football team. It gives Mike Adams more first team reps and gives him time to learn the offense. He can gel with the guys around him each and every practice on each and every snap. That is what he needs. Repetition, repetition and more repetition.

With Adams having this oppurtunity to work with the first team he will be able to show what he has got. He will be going up every day against 2 of the best pass rushers in the league. Woodley and Harrison are not going to take it easy on him in practice. The harder they go the more the team will know about Adams heading into the season. If he can block those guys then he can handle an NFL pass rush. There are not to many guys better then those two.

I love the idea of having Starks back on this team for insurance but I have full confidence in Adams. With the Steelers coaching and some discipline this kid has all the makings of a great left tackle. He has the size and skill to succeed. The only thing that can hold him back is himself.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...ck+and+Gold%29
Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

First things first: when is DeCastro going to sign?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Yeah, I hope Adams gets abused and Heyward stays on him to teach him how to be a pro. If he can stay focused and motivated, he can be great.