Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,524 Times in 1,531 Posts
Default Steelers make a statement, give Mike Wallace’s contract offer to Antonio Brown

this is a big " screw you" to wallace..

Quote:
A while back, according to those in the know in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers gave receiver Mike Wallace a contract offer somewhere in the area of $42 million over five years. If accepted, the deal would have resolved the fact that Wallace was given a first-round restricted free-agent tender, which guarantees him just $2.72 million in the 2012 season. Wallace was evidently unimpressed, which is why he's holding out of the Steelers' training camp. The team's response to the actions of their primary receiver over the last couple of years was essentially this: Go on and hold out -- we'll give Emmanuel Sanders your role as the "X" receiver in practice, and we'll give Antonio Brown, who almost matched your numbers in 2011, your contract.
And that's exactly what they did. On Friday, just two days after making their first public statements about Wallace's holdout during camp, the Steelers signed Brown to that very same five-year, $42.5 million extension. Brown will make the $540,000 he was set to make in 2012 as part of his rookie deal, but he also has $8 million guaranteed in the new deal. He'll make $4.5 million in 2013 (base salary and roster bonus), and $6 million in base salary in 2013 and 2014.
"We are excited to announce that Antonio Brown will be with the team through at least the 2017 season," Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement. "He has played a major role in our success over the past two years and we are thrilled he will be a Steeler for many years to come."
The deal keeps Brown under team control the next half-decade, and presents the Steelers with some interesting options. They can wait Wallace out and have him sign his tender whenever, have him sign his tender and trade him to another team willing to give him more money (getting a first-round pick in return), franchise him, or sign him to a long-term deal after he signs the tender.
These are the hypothetical options, and according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the third and fourth are already off the table. Having given Brown the big contract, Bouchette says, the Steelers have now decided that they will not be offering Wallace a long-term deal. So, they can enjoy his services through the 2012 season and let him walk after, or trade him to a team willing to give up a future first-rounder for perhaps the best speed receiver in the game. Bouchette also reports that there is no way the Steelers, who are already tight up against the salary cap, would give Wallace the franchise tag next year.
The Steelers have a nice little cottage industry of speed receivers, having drafted Wallace, Brown and Emmanuel Sanders in the later rounds of the last few drafts. Brown proved last season that he can be one of the best No. 2 receivers in the game, but for that kind of money, he'll now be tasked with drawing primary coverage over the next few years. It's always a challenge for any receiver when he discovers that he's the primary target of any pass defense ... now matter how talented he might be.
"What Mike Wallace brings to the table, which very few guys in the NFL do, is pure, pure speed," Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup recently told us, when we asked him if Brown or Sanders could take Wallace's "X-iso" spot on a consistent basis. "He may be the fastest receiver in the entire league. You're concerned about that, because you miss that element. No defensive coordinator wants to give up 60-yard touchdowns -- that's just the way it works. Can Brown or Sanders be that guy? Probably not, in terms of lifting off the coverage like that. But a guy like Antonio Brown could be a very good 'X' receiver in time. He's a terrific receiver who will only get better."
Brown, who was selected in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL draft out of Central Michigan, was named the team's MVP in 2011. He went to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner, and became the first player in NFL history to amass over 1,000 receiving yards and over 1,000 return yards in the same season.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Default Re: Steelers make a statement, give Mike Wallace’s contract offer to Antonio Brown

sure having a speed guy like wallace is nice, but by no means is it necessary. can anyone name the burners on the 3 teams that went over 5k passing this year? the pats probably didn't have a single guy that could run under a 4.4 forty. the saints or detroit is hardly known for their speedy receivers.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,657 Times in 2,353 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers make a statement, give Mike Wallace’s contract offer to Antonio Brown

It's not the same contract.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204

I still think (and probably holding out some hope) that a reasonable extension gets done.

I think if Colbert, Khan & Co believed that Wallace's expectations were too high....if that happened I think AB's contract woulda been structured differently (and been more frontloaded)
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I still think (and probably holding out some hope) that a reasonable extension gets done.

I think if Colbert, Khan & Co believed that Wallace's expectations were too high....if that happened I think AB's contract woulda been structured differently (and been more frontloaded)
from what i've read , the cap won't change much in 2013 , but the tv deal money kicks in in 2014 so thats when the cap will go up.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Antonio Brown has nowhere to go but up, talent-wise, so frontloading it is meaningless, especially when the team need cap space NOW. Mike Wallace should have peaked this past season. And maybe he did... we might not get to find out, which totally sucks.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Todd Haley entered the picture. Colbert asked him his opinion Haley probably stated something along the lines of "love to have him but we have plenty of other young weapons". Two plans were probably developed one with and one without Mr. Wallace.

REMEMBER KIDS WALLACE GOT ZERO OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS... the FO watched and waited.

Colbert, tells Tomlin they go over the economics, FO clears it with Rooney. They decide to go forward as they have done so waiting to see if Wallace comes forward and decides to play for a reasonable "fair" offer not a Fitzgerald deal that he "thinks" he is worth...

Wallace decides to not show up for camp...(HUGE I MEAN MONUMENTALLY STUPID HUGE MISTAKE KID)

Steelers play their TRUMP card and sign Brown (which they probably already had planned). Wallace GOT ZERO offers to play elsewhere . Right now he is just being plain old fashioned DUMB. He is young he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer obviously and he is making silly and stupid choices.

Steelers hold all the cards Wallace holds none. Steelers set a precedent once again and it tells players inside and outside the organization how they operate. THEY NEVER HIT THE PANIC BUTTON AND DON"T TRY TO MUSCLE THEM INTO SOMETHING.

I figure Wallace will show up for camp sometime soon if he wakes the hell up and realizes how stupid he has been. Maybe even signs a similar deal to Browns (maybe even a little better then Browns so he doesnt feel like a total douche) and realizes that with them solidly with he team for the next 4-6 years they have something really special to build on.

Pretty damn cool and I think most honest long time Steeler fans will agree. The Steelers know how to run a consistently successful organization and brand of football.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,998 Posts

i still trip out to think that a. brown was voted team MVP last year (not that it wasnt deserved- just suprising and unprecedented).

bottom line is AB doesnt need to replace mike wallaces stats. he was given all that money to replace hines wards smile and he already got those bases covered.

The steelers could easilly put up sponsorship for crest, aquafresh, denture creme, listerene, etc., at ketchup field in a heartbeat.

if polamalu took out a million dollar insurancy policy on his hair, i betcha the steelers got a billion dollar policy on his teeth.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,228 Times in 2,867 Posts

Peter King states what has been posted repeatedly on this board since Friday

I think the Mike Wallace story tells me one thing about the Pittsburgh Steelers: They compromise their salary and architecture principles for no one. I remember speaking with a person very close to the Steelers front office in the spring, and this person told me the Steelers valued receiver/returner Antonio Brown more than speed receiver Mike Wallace. "They'd rather pay Brown in 2013 than Wallace this year,'' the person told me. "Mike Wallace had better not overplay his hand.''

In the Steelers' eyes, he did.
So Pittsburgh, convinced it didn't want to risk losing both men next year when Brown would be a restricted free agent, gave Brown the deal they'd offered Wallace, a six-year, $42.5 million extension. Not bad for a sixth-round pick in 2010 from Central Michigan. Now Wallace is in limbo, not having signed his franchise tender ... and the Steelers saying they have no intention of trading him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...29/mmqb/4.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,657 Times in 2,353 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

If he's going to come in, today's the day for it being a day off. Sign the thing.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote