Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Why Wallace is an idiot*

*if it is true that he turned down 5 years 50 million.

If Wallace did in fact turn down 50 million dollars over 5 years from the Steelers and plays this year for 2.7 or shows up by week 11 and plays for around 1 million he has just lost up to 9 million dollars meaning his deal next year as an UFA would have to somehow make up for that loss.

So assume the worst and he shows up week 11 and gets only 1 million in pay, he would have to make 49 million in the first 4 years of his new deal to equal what he would have gotten from the Steelers in that same 5 year span. That's a average of 12.25 million a year for a receiver that has played in only six games, probably not starting because he wouldn't know the offense and had a bad second half to his 2011 season.

And that is to break even with what the Steelers offered. Would you leave Pittsburgh to break even? Assuming he wants the same 55 million that Vincent Jackson got over 5 years. That 11 million average is still 5 million less over the next 5 years then he would have earned by signing with the Steelers.

So bottom line is he is choosing between

5 years 50 million to stay a Steeler.

or (assuming he gets no more then Vincent Jackson)

the next 6 years 56 million (counting the 1 mil he earned w the Steelers)

His 6th year from the new deal if he stayed here he would be a UFA or Franchise player meaning another signing bonus somewhere or a Franchise tag in the year 2017. Way more then that extra 6 million he earned by leaving. This is all assuming no one would pay him more then Vincent Jackson's deal.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Why Wallace is an idiot*

John Clayton claimed that he turned down a $9 million per season offer. Nobody ever names their sources when it comes to these things though, so it's impossible to know what's true.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,647 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
John Clayton claimed that he turned down a $9 million per season offer. Nobody ever names their sources when it comes to these things though, so it's impossible to know what's true.
I agree, but if he indeed turn down 45 million over five years, WOW.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Yea I have to agree for a receiver like him you could not ask for much more then that.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
You'd have to assume that the deal offered has been in that range judging from the deal Brown just got.
Long term, Brown will be the more complete receiver and I think the Steelers know that. But for his resume and potential demand for him next year, I think they paid a lot for him.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I said this 6+ weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
F'-him, and the horse he's gonna ride outta town on
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

If Mike Wallace leaves I think he will learn to regret that decision. Our O-Line may very well be on it's way to being fixed and with that Ben and Mike would have more time to hook up for the deep ball for years to come.
If he leaves, odds are he'll end up with a bad team or bad QB and disappear into oblivion. His best chance to get paid well, become a star, and win a SB (which he hasn't had the pleasure of yet) would be to stay right here.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
LlamaTorYoUp
Water Boy

Member Number: 24071

I don't think he's an idiot, but I don't think that this is going to play out as well for him as he thinks.

According to Bouchette yesterday on The Fan, he's been advised by virtually everyone in the know...including his agent...that this is not the way to go about your business. Ed mentioned that the Steeler's hardline stance was probably born in the second half of last year, when Mike's attitude changed dramatically (from hard-working, team-first to pouting and me-first). I think the Steelers took note, and weren't about to cave to a potential future sideline problem. Tomlin's quotes from this presser about 'this being bigger than himself or Mike' made quite a statement. I also take the AB signing as a strong indication that the the 2 sides are not close on terms.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

He is not an idiot and I for one think they should pay the man. He is a big part of the reason why Antonio Brown is so productive. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great WR, but Wallace draws so much attention from defenses that it frees up Brown. He's arguably the fastest man in football. I realize his production slipped in the second half of the season, but you noticed Brown's production picked up greatly. That's because teams game planned to stop Wallace and forgot about Brown. So even when Wallace wasn't catching the ball or getting open, he was still producing. If Wallace doesn't get signed then look for Brown's production to drop.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
He is not an idiot and I for one think they should pay the man. He is a big part of the reason why Antonio Brown is so productive. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great WR, but Wallace draws so much attention from defenses that it frees up Brown. He's arguably the fastest man in football. I realize his production slipped in the second half of the season, but you noticed Brown's production picked up greatly. That's because teams game planned to stop Wallace and forgot about Brown. So even when Wallace wasn't catching the ball or getting open, he was still producing. If Wallace doesn't get signed then look for Brown's production to drop.
Agreed but if the team has no use for him, let him go. Both parties would then have opportunity for a clean break.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote