Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,215 Times in 2,565 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

Responding to trade rumors involving multiple teams, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert flatly tells me, "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

Ed Werder

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

Steelers G.M.: Wallace not available for trade

Posted by Evan Silva on July 29, 2012, 1:34 AM EDT

Reuters
The scribes in Pittsburgh have suggested that a likely outcome to unsigned restricted free agent receiver Mike Wallace’s training camp holdout is a trade out of town. The Steelers on Friday signed fellow wideout Antonio Brown to a lucrative, long-term contract. They will not be satisfying Wallace’s contractual demands.

But Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert tapped the brakes Saturday on the Wallace trade speculation. Colbert says Wallace isn’t going anywhere.

“Mike Wallace is not available for trade,” Colbert told ESPN’s Ed Werder.

The Steelers appear to be digging in for a potentially lengthy, ugly holdout with their best wide receiver. In an ideal world from an organizational standpoint, Wallace would cave, report to camp after signing his one-year, $2.742 million restricted tender, and play his tail off in a contract season.

That’d be an awfully feeble course of action on the player’s part, however. If Wallace is making this a business decision, he’ll sit out the first ten regular season games and report thereafter, only to gain an accrued year toward 2013 unrestricted free agency.

Colbert is talking tough now, but you can be sure he’s still fielding phone calls. As is always the case in these kinds of scenarios, it’s going to be interesting to see which side becomes the first to budge.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

It's not a good. Usiness decision to sit out. He can't impress other teams, teams who didn't offer anything this year, if he joins the team for six games without knowing the new offense. Practice won't be in teaching mode at that point and he would have had no preseason. He cannot think he will be effective enough to return to the stating lineup and if the Steelers are sailing into the playoffs when he might play after gaining some understanding of the play book, it makes him look less important that they got there without him.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Colbert is talking tough now, but you can be sure he’s still fielding phone calls. As is always the case in these kinds of scenarios, it’s going to be interesting to see which side becomes the first to budge.

My bet is that Wallace will budge before the Steelers organization does.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

On the other hand:

Sunday column: Upgrade talent, get Mike Wallace!

The Dolphins added talent to their list of players practicing today by signing first-round pick Ryan Tannehill.

But as I write in my Sunday column, they need more talent.

And I suggest they chase a trade for Pittsburgh Steelers unsigned receiver Mike Wallace. Now, understand, ESPN's Ed Werder was told by Steelers GM Kevin Colbert that Wallace is "not available in trade."

Sorry, I've covered this league too long to know that often a "no" means "not now" and sometimes it transitions to "yes, absolutely." Flatly, the Steelers know they are going to lose Wallace after this season and get practically nothing (probably a compensatory pick) in return. They may well decide to cut their losses and actually get something for Wallace instead.

I understand making a move such as this would be expensive on multiple levels. The Dolphins would have to pay the Steelers draft choice compensation and then pay Wallace a hefty contract that averages between $11-$12 million per season.

But that's the cost of doing business, folks, when the receivers you drafted (Cylde Gates, for one) did nothing as rookies and aren't exactly doing great things the first few days of this training camp when there's been no hitting and receivers should be dominating the action.

So I say the Dolphins should be in the queue (British term in honor of the Olympics) for some major upgrade at receiver and a major talent addition to the roster.

Will they be? I believe they will at least make the call.

By the way, since my writing of the column, rumors are swirling that the draft compensation for Wallace has dropped -- with talk of a third or fourth-round pick for him being the commonly used price. Are you kidding? That's a bargain.

Think about it ... a 26-year-old ready-made game breaker for a third round pick?

If Wallace was in next year's draft, knowing what we know about him, he'd be a top 10 pick.

Anyway, read the column, please.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy

Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,943 Times in 8,702 Posts
My Mood: Dead

As far as trading him goes, I mentioned this in the "Antonio Brown" thread (which has disappeared):  
The Steelers HAVE to get a R2 (or R1) pick for Wallace.  

SCENARIO 1:  
Trade Wallace for a R3 pick.  
[Only a R3 pick.]  

SCENARIO 2:  
Wallace sits out.  But, he plays the final six games AND the play-offs... AND the Steelers would receive a R3 compensatory pick.  
[Six games, play-offs, & a R3 pick.]  

SUMMATION: Of course, there a few other viable scenarios (Wallace sits out & then gets franchise tag; and, of course, re-signing Wallace), but since we're talking about trades, getting "only" a R3 pick for Wallace makes little sense; it HAS to be a R2 (or R1) pick.  Otherwise, it makes more sense to keep him.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,113 Posts

I hope Miami makes a play for Wallace. Get something for him and see what Matt Moore or Ryan Tannehill can do for his receiving stats.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I hope Miami makes a play for Wallace. Get something for him and see what Matt Moore or Ryan Tannehill can do for his receiving stats.
same here. i hate keeping a player for just one more year when you know the chance of getting them signed are low. i mean for god sakes detroit got a 1st for roy williams and the pats got a 1st for branch ...

why didn't they fix this "holdout" clause when they negotiated the new CBA ? not showing up for camp is one thing but being allowed to miss over half the games is another.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
As far as trading him goes, I mentioned this in the "Antonio Brown" thread (which has disappeared):  
The Steelers HAVE to get a R2 (or R1) pick for Wallace.  

SCENARIO 1:  
Trade Wallace for a R3 pick.  
[Only a R3 pick.]  

SCENARIO 2:  
Wallace sits out.  But, he plays the final six games AND the play-offs... AND the Steelers would receive a R3 compensatory pick.  
[Six games, play-offs, & a R3 pick.]  

SUMMATION: Of course, there a few other viable scenarios (Wallace sits out & then gets franchise tag; and, of course, re-signing Wallace), but since we're talking about trades, getting "only" a R3 pick for Wallace makes little sense; it HAS to be a R2 (or R1) pick.  Otherwise, it makes more sense to keep him.  
I also wonder what happened to the thread.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
same here. i hate keeping a player for just one more year when you know the chance of getting them signed are low. i mean for god sakes detroit got a 1st for roy williams and the pats got a 1st for branch ...

why didn't they fix this "holdout" clause when they negotiated the new CBA ? not showing up for camp is one thing but being allowed to miss over half the games is another.
I guess during bargaining the league didn't want to trade any more horses. They would have to give up something to get something.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote