Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,222 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default D. Lolley day 5 camp notes-

lots of good stuff in here-

http://burgh.us/f9l

Quote:
I finally got to sit and watch - OK, stand and watch - an entire practice Sunday for the first time at this camp without having to hustle somewhere else or have things abbreviated by the threat of rain.

I saw some pretty good things out there.

Second-year linebacker Chris Carter looks physically bigger on the field and his functional strength is improved. Once just a guy who could beat you with his quick first step, Carter can now lock onto somebody and force them where he wants to go instead of the other way around.

He did this in the backs on tight ends drills against David Johnson, then handled Leonard Pope.

Carter told me after practice that he's added eight to 10 pounds of muscle.

Being that he's starting opposite LaMarr Woodley with both James Harrison and Jason Worilds on the PUP list, it was a good move for Carter.

@ The Steelers had a physical pads practice and had some players dinged up at times.

Starting running back Isaac Redman took a shot early and sat out a few plays, but the most serious injury was to cornerback Keenan Lewis, who suffered an injury to the AC joint in his right shoulder during a sideline collision.

He could be sidelined a while, with Cortez Allen moving into his starting spot.

Offensive linemen Trai Essex and David DeCastro also suffered minor ankle sprains, but are not expected to miss any time.

Tight end Heath Miller (ankle) and punter Jeremy Kapinos (back) were joined on the sidelines Sunday by wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who was given the day off by head coach Mike Tomlin rather than have him practice on field turf.

As for good news on the injury front, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith is expected to be activated from the PUP list on Wednesday. He has been out with a shoulder injury.

@ Funny moment of the day came when offensive tackle Max Starks was working with the other PUP list players on his conditioning.

After running back Rashard Mendenhall completed a cone drill with the ball in his hands, Starks did the same.

I told the guy next to me that if Starks had the ball in his hands on a play, something had gone terribly wrong.

Starks came to his senses on the next drill and declined the ball when Mendenhall offered it to him.

@ The catch of the day belonged to first-year receiver Jimmy Young.

Working against Ike Taylor, Young went to the ground down the sideline on the final play of practice to snare a perfect pass from Byron Leftwich, hanging onto the ball as his helmet popped off upon contact with the ground.

@ While Carter looked improved, both Johnson and Leonard Pope disappointed in the backs on tight ends drill.

The clear star was LaMarr Woodley, which is why they are paying him the big bucks. Woodley whipped everyone in sight.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
tony hipchest

Default Re: D. Lolley day 5 camp notes-

great compilation of all the tweets from teh beat writers and reporters that were present at camp today-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...day-5-updates/
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

These little injuries are typical for training camp, but after last year's injury madness I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit worried. Hate to see guys miss time when they have to learn a new offense. Good news on Carter, maybe he becomes a really good LB as he get's more strength and learns the system more. Woodley performing strong already is great news.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,504 Times in 788 Posts
My Mood: Hot

David Johnson disappoints in one on one drills.......I'm shocked!!!!
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
great compilation of all the tweets from teh beat writers and reporters that were present at camp today-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...day-5-updates/
Good link

I have been following Mark Kaboly and Alan Robinson (former AP reporter who covered a lot of Pittsburgh sports before joining the Trib-Review this summer) on twitter

Gerry Dulac and Ed.B. have the advantage of writing for the Post-Gazette in terms of readers but Robinson and Kaboly are a good pair of reporters

Kaboly agrees Woodley was destroying everyone today but was not as impressed with Carter as Lolley was

Kaboly also reports Ta'amu hurt his foot - allegedly because the vets made him walk 2 miles to Walmart Wednesday night

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
tony hipchest

other tidbits-

alameda taamu missed time due to foot injury. he thought he "broke it" when the vets made him walk to wal-mart for snacks the evening before. appearantly they told him the 5 mile hike was "just down the street.

max starks says the new playbook is pretty similar and in some casess less and easier, once you get past the different verbiage and the reasons plays have different verbage.

best quote of course came from tomlin who said there would be a few dead indians in his cowboy movie tonight.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Good link

I have been following Mark Kaboly and Alan Robinson (former AP reporter who covered a lot of Pittsburgh sports before joining the Trib-Review this summer) on twitter

]
thanks for the heads up #justfollowed
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,691 Posts

Quote:
best quote of course came from tomlin who said there would be a few dead indians in his cowboy movie tonight.
I liked these quotes from today

Steelers D-line coach John Mitchell on #1-ranked defense of 2011: "You can cut stats up any way you want to. We didnít have a good season."

https://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/s...57815571107840

When Ike Taylor was asked about Wallace"My name is Ike and his name is Mike.I would give you his phone number,but I donít think he would like thatĒ

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...45287411572737
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
thanks for the heads up #justfollowed
Yeah, he's the "new" guy at the Tribune-Review. I've been enjoying his articles lately on Wallace/Brown.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
tony hipchest

heres some of my favorites (love that willie colon seems pissed at the world)-

Chris Adamski‏@BuzzsawPGH

Willie Colon:"You gotta be able to kinda let people across the field from you know that you got teeth too--and that you're willing to bite."

Steelers RReports‏@CBSSportsNFLPIT

Says somethin bout Steelers mindset & history that they all seem so perturbed how bad D was last yr. Um, D ranked #1 in NFL in pts AND yds!

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwala

Ambassador Rooney here again. What a rock star. Definitely seeing why Steelers CB Ike Taylor can call him "Pops"

Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird

Beachum owns DE Ike Igbinosun in lineman drills, then gives him shot to chops after Ike trash talks. DL coach Mitch yells at Ike to shut up

https://twitter.com/Steelers_Fever