Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Go 'Lers
Water Boy

Member Number: 23944
Default Expansion teams in Pittsburgh

Will there ever be another pro sports franchise to come to the city of Pittsburgh? Let's explore the options and see...

National Basketball Association: Now I know we have talked about this from time to time. Why not. We have a new arena, stable economy, Mark Cuban has lobbied several times to say we can support it. Despite a very good market in Pittsburgh, another team would do more to stretch our dollars thin.

Verdict: Nagonna happen

Reason: A balance of 3 of the 4 major sports leagues in one city of our size is a good balance for right now. Besides, the NBA's only option is to relocate a team rather than expand and we certainly don't want any other cities team, we want a team of our own.

Major League Soccer: here is a sport with rapidly growing popularity (no, really) and an increasing number of youth signing up for leagues. Some think we are moving away from "contact heavy" sports, others see the world most beloved game finally washing up on our shores. Either way, this would be the perfect time to get a team for less than it will be later. After all, Rooney saw the opportunity with football back in the 30's and look how that worked out! It's time to do it again.

Verdict: despite all what I wrote above, it won't happen.

Reason: the team in Columbus already wears black and yellow!

...but in all seriousness, I truly believe a soccer team is the way to go. We already have a great stadium and just use the lower bowl of Heinz Field. The price of a franchise is substantially going to be cheaper now then when the league has grown to 30.

What are your thoughts?
Go 'Lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Expansion teams in Pittsburgh

some circles felt we would lose the Pirates before we would ever get any other team in town - I'd love to see an NBA team in Pittsburgh, although do enjoy watching the world cup - just can't get into the league on any regular basis

- with Pirates still not really filling the seats despite a little upswing, don't know where a new team would pull ticket sales from - I have zero clue about where most of the income for a team usually comes from - but I'd think that without a rabid interest I agree, prob neither going to happen. I'm sure at first, like opening any new field, there would be a brief explosion of attendance just to check it out, but then fizzle. Just mho :)

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Doubtful Pitt will get a basketball team. Pirates and Penguins have enough problems extracting funds from its fans.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Soccer???
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514

Give it 20 years. Pittsburgh is pretty much at the cusp of finally beginning a population recovery... played right the "Cleveburgh corridor" has the potential to become a major world economic zone. Will it happen? Let's wait and see...

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Doubtful Pitt will get a basketball team. Pirates and Penguins have enough problems extracting funds from its fans.
really? the Penguins aren't having any trouble right now with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and the current core. As long as those guys are still wearing black and gold, it's going to be mighty hard bringing a basketball team in and having to compete with a successful Penguins team with an already established fan base.

the NBA isn't exactly thriving right now in terms of popularity either. i wouldn't even think about it for another 10-15 years if the Penguins are in the dumps again.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Go 'Lers
Water Boy

Member Number: 23944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
The teams mentioned above are still doing fine with getting ticket revenue (even the Pirates) but I agree that we wont see an NBA team anytime soon for two reasons
  1. Our population
  2. The media market would be stretched too thin with a new team AS WELL AS college teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Soccer???
YES, soccer is rising in popularity. I want Pittsburgh to stay ahead of the curb just like Art Rooney did when he brought an NFL team to the city even when people said he was nuts!
Go 'Lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Don't see it. Not enough of a population base to support 4 pro franchises.

That's not to say I wouldn't have loved a NBA team in the Burgh but don't see it happening anytime soon regardless of the new arena. Besides the NBA is finding out that some of the strongest franchises are in towns where they are the only game in town like OKC and Spurs.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

If OKLAHOMA CITY can support a basketball team, we can. People say we won't support it, but we've never been given a chance to. All the teams that folded were in the late 60's, times have changed and they would easily thrive here.

Yinzers can say they hate the NBA all they want, but the truth is if you had a team to root for you'd get into it.

I will never care about a soccer team. I couldn't care less if an MLS franchise made it here.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,192 Times in 599 Posts

I have been noticing how Pittsburgh is becoming a little more mainstream in the sense that they are filming more and more films in Pittsburgh. Steelers are still a blue collar city but I think for it to get back to being a mainstream city in America, they would have to turn it's city into a Chicago style city. More modern culture and current attractions. The Pirates and Pens need a billionaire to buy those teams who doesnt really concern himself with the bottom line. The Steelers are in the NFL, plus the Rooney's are great business men, they are already a billion dollar business. The Pirates and Pens need a Mark Cuban type. One of my dreams is to continue to do well in business and in 20 years, buy the Pens. I might not be accepted into the good ole boy club in baseball, but I would love to own the Pens.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote