Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts
Default Smash The Mouth!

another great article by jim wexell that should be music to the ears of many a steelerfans (of course it is certain to draw the ire of those who still insist on apologizing for uncle arians)-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1206898.html

Quote:
LATROBE – The Pittsburgh Steelers have run the ball 44 percent of the time or less only four times in franchise history:
* After they did it in 1991, they fired Chuck Noll.

* After they did it in 2003, they changed offensive coordinators.

* After they did it in 2009, they publically demanded an improved running game.

* And after the same coordinator did it again last year, he was fired.

New coordinator Todd Haley seems to get it. The run-pass ratio the first two days of full-contact practices was, oh, 65-35.

Regardless of the specific number, a point is being made.

“It’s an attitude,” said running backs coach Kirby Wilson. “Running the football in the National Football League is hard and it takes a determined effort by everybody, all the people up front, the wideouts, tight ends, the backs. It’s a collective mindset that we all have got to be physical and get the job done.”

Polamalu is one of several defensive players who’ve questioned the Steelers’ offensive direction over the last few years.

“I wouldn’t say that I had problems with the offense,” Polamalu corrected. “I’ve had problems in the way that our team jelled together as a whole.”

Up until about 2008, Polamalu appreciated the way the Steelers’ offense gave the frenetically paced defense a chance to rest with its controlled pace. But that began to change under coordinator Bruce Arians, as the game as a whole seemed to change.

“Everything is such a trend,” Polamalu said. “This bold passing offense, spreading the field, the trend has caught on with a lot of teams. People don’t think you can have success with ground-and-pound and good defense. But the top two teams in college football last year were just that, and you can’t get any more trendy than the Oregon-style offense in college football. But everybody wants that New England-style offense, that Indianapolis-style offense.

“Everything just has to mesh together. I believe in the tradition that’s been passed down within our culture here as a Steeler and that’s always been play good defense, control the ball – passing or running. I just think that we’ve got to mesh together better than we have in the past.”

Polamalu said the best offense he ever defended was the 2004 New England Patriots.

“They were really balanced,” he said. “They played against the defense’s weakness every week.”

The 2004 Patriots ran the ball 51 percent of the time thanks to the arrival of Corey Dillon and his 1,635 yards. Otherwise, the Patriots haven’t run the ball more than 47 percent of the time in Bill Belichick’s 12 years. And they haven’t won a Super Bowl since that 2004 season.

In 6-foot, 230-pound Isaac Redman, the Steelers have a back who compares favorably to the 6-1, 225-pound Dillon. While Dillon averaged 4.3 yards per carry during his 10-year career, Redman has averaged 4.8 per carry in 37 regular-season and postseason games.

“He’s one of the smartest halfbacks I’ve ever worked with,” said Wilson. “He’s very instinctual and he’s got very good football intelligence and I trust him in all aspects, whether it be first down or third down.”

Third down?

“Absolutely,” Wilson said. “There’s your third down back.”

The Steelers have powerful big backs behind Redman in Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay. And young Baron Batch has pleased both Wilson and coach Mike Tomlin with the way he’s run after missing his rookie season with a knee injury. Chris Rainey’s speed will be utilized in spots. Even Rashard Mendenhall believes he can return by the start of the season.

And the group will be running behind a line that’s bigger than its listed weights, with players such as Willie Colon, Ramon Foster, Max Starks and Trai Essex in their athletic primes.

Of course, there are also the young blue-chippers: Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro and Mike Adams.

“Massive. MASSIVE men,” Wilson said with emphasis. “And they’re experienced. They’re experienced tough guys who like to fight, football-wise. But what I think is impressive about that whole group: They don’t care. They just want to smash people. They’re big, tough guys and they’re loving this new scheme, so to speak. They get a chance to double-team, pull, trap. It’s a beautiful thing to them. So right now they’re leading the charge. They’re doing a good job.”

Will the plan continue through camp? Will the offense make a believer out of Polamalu and his like-minded defensive veterans?

“Yeah, no doubt about it,” Wilson said. “That’s our bread and butter. We’re going to continue to be physical. We’re going to continue to run downhill runs, off-tackle runs, and mix in our screens and draws. But we want to be physical and it all begins with our offensive line, which we in our room are really, really high on. We’re impressed with what we see. We’re impressed with those players and how they have really gravitated to the new attitude toward the run game, and so they’ve got the lead. And we’re following and trying to keep pace.”
i believe fantasy football fans and arians apologists believed in arians magic more than the culture and tradition troy polamalu speaks of. arians biggest flaw was thinking he was bigger that the steelers and that tradition which was a proven formula, and thumbing his nose at his bosses.

i sure wish Sixburgher AKA banned member and former moderator fansince76 would come out of hiding so he could call polamalu a dumbass know nothing hater as well.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
TheDude
Draft Prospect

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!
Member Number: 24204
Default Re: Smash The Mouth!

I think the key is a philosophy that allows the offense and defense to compliment each other. Polomalu had that under cowher early in his career. A high pressure D, that needed breathers throughout the game....it benefits from a ball control, move the chains type offense.

And a lot of those high powered offenses....they (more often than not) sputter in the postseason
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,435 Times in 1,406 Posts

running for seven.

redman, dwyer, batch and rainey... that some exciting stuff right there.

i like clay and mendy but love the top 4.. then again mendy with a new o line could be a treat as well
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts

Polamalu = Arians hater.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Great article, but WOAH! You dropped the Gary bomb there at the end. I like it.
I get along with FS76, but he definately seemed to loathe the "Cowherball" offenses.

Running the football is a physical mindset, a chance where the Offensive line gets to be the hammer instead of the nail in pass protection. I think having the ability to run the football does many things positive for an offense such as:

1.allow the team to get short yardage when needed.
2. allow play action passes to work
3. score in the red zone when there isnt enough field to spread in the passing game.
4. give your offense a physical identity and attitude.
5. control the clock and close out games when leading.

I'm not in favor of running all the time, but could never understand why anybody would want to de-value the run game as much as the Steelers did since 2007.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,529 Times in 9,943 Posts
My Mood: Dead

The trend and rules in football is: pass, pass, pass.  Ergo, just about ANY team can pass.  And, accordingly, defenses are now built to defend the pass.  

So... if a team commits to the run, defenses have trouble stopping them.  

And, since just about any team can pass, a team that can ALSO run is very, very dangerous.  

It doesn't need to be 65% (I think that that percentage is a training camp statement), but 55% or better would be awesome.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,278 Times in 2,308 Posts

Quote:
“Running the football in the National Football League is hard and it takes a determined effort
The only determined effort arians gave was running that damn bubble screen 15 times a game.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 08-01-2012 at 09:28 AM.
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I get along with FS76, but he definately seemed to loathe the "Cowherball" offenses.
spot on.

we like fansince as well, as long as he stays where he belongs and quits shedding his valuable blood sweat and tears monitoring us at steelersfever. for over a year he posted here under the member name Sixburger for nothing more than to still argue with the dozen or so of us he banned and to defend arians' greatness. now how backwards, childish, and immature is that? Im sure his membership would be a little disappointed if they realized how much time he spent on a board he loathes, "talking football" with people he loathes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It doesn't need to be 65% (I think that that percentage is a training camp statement), but 55% or better would be awesome.  
agree 100%
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
spot on.

we like fansince as well, as long as he stays where he belongs and quits shedding his valuable blood sweat and tears monitoring us at steelersfever. for over a year he posted here under the member name Sixburger for nothing more than to still argue with the dozen or so of us he banned and to defend arians' greatness. now how backwards, childish, and immature is that? Im sure his membership would be a little disappointed if they realized how much time he spent on a board he loathes, "talking football" with people he loathes.
That.......I did not know.

I decided to walk away from that site and come back here. I like a lot of the posters over there, but many of them seemed not to be as active as they used to be.

The one constant on that site is that Revs is still trying to flame bait any newbies to the forum and get into an arguement with them so they get banned before they can establish themselves in the forum. I think its some kind of weird power trip to keep any new members from his club or something.

Its unfortunate to see new members join a site to talk football and get berated by the veteran troll, which gives them a bad sense of what the site is all about. Its why I like things over here better, as it seems like a more casual and open forum for discussion, sarcasm and being a fan.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The trend and rules in football is: pass, pass, pass.  Ergo, just about ANY team can pass.  And, accordingly, defenses are now built to defend the pass.  

So... if a team commits to the run, defenses have trouble stopping them.  

And, since just about any team can pass, a team that can ALSO run is very, very dangerous.  

I'm fine with being more physical and putting more commitment to the ground game, but our best playmakers are at QB, WR, and even TE. If anything, it should be 55% in favor of passing, maybe even slightly more.

I understand the argument about some defenses not being able to stop the run as well because of the passing trend the league is going towards (and I have to admit I wouldn't mind seeing a lighter Ray-Ray get run over multiple times), but keep in mind the rules of Goodell era football. It's harder to defend the pass, even if you have a good pass defense. DBs cannot be as physical with receivers as they once were.

The Steelers should no longer worry about run/pass ratio. Don't run it just because you feel you have to cling to some old tradition or keep vocal, cranky old yinzers happy. Just do whatever works best against your opponent and gives you the best chance to win.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote