Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Canesfan90
Water Boy

Member Number: 24210
Default Canes fan looking for an update on Spence

Greetings Steeler Nation,

I was a huge fan of Sean Spence while he was at the U and I'm excited to see him in Pittsburgh. I'm a defense guy, and the Steelers know defense. So naturally, I'm a big fan of Steelers Football (unless they're playing the Phins.)

I've been reading a few training camp reports and know Spence in currently in a competition for second team BUCK but I haven't really been able to get a good grasp on the situation. You guys are obviously keeping up with Steelers camp more than I am, so I wanted to get a feel for what the reports and expectations are for Spence right now. I also hear there is a school of thought that says he's poised to actually play Polamalu's position eventually? Not sure how realistic that is, but it certainly would be awesome. He's definitely got the headiness and hitting ability of Troy.

Thanks ahead of time for the update, I hope I'll be able to contribute to the community somehow. Anyone got any Dolphins questions? haha..probably not, we suck...
Canesfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts
Default Re: Canes fan looking for an update on Spence

i think when they say "troys position" they mean a joker style player (usually a hybrid lb) moreso than stron safety per se.

in our defense you will see troy lined up anywhere from defensive end to free safety and anywhere between. he is quick enough to fool the offense and get to the ground he is supposed to cover or meet the ball where it is designed to go.

the steelers definitely see that potential with spence. so far spence (and reportedly all young linebackers) have spent time practicing all LB spots both inside and out. Spence has his work cut out for him but is smart as a whip and the coaches really like him. It sounds like they will not pigeon hole him into a particular position based soley on his size.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts

here is snippets from a recent local article written about him (see link for full article)-

Quote:
Great article by jim wexell-

http://pit.scout.com/

Quote:
Rookie's instincts and understanding of the game have the Steelers considering whether Sean Spence can play a position that the gargantuan Levon Kirkland once made famous.

When Steelers linebacker coach Kevin Butler first met Sean Spence at the NFL combine, he told him that “

So why was Steelers special-teams coach Al Everest muttering on the sidelines about the possibility of losing Spence to the starting lineup the same way he had lost another rookie?

During spring drills, Spence had replaced an injured Stevenson Sylvester as the backup buck linebacker behind Larry Foote, and the buzz coming out of the Steelers’ linebacker meetings was that Spence was a true student of the game. He took the right notes and asked all the right questions. He was eating whole the complexities and nuances of a position Farrior claimed had taken him years to master.

Spence’s interception that day at Heinz Field had turned the defensive coaches’ buzz into the special-teams coach’s mutterings.

After the practice, Everest was asked to go on the record about Spence.

“Well, basically, right now, he’s doing everything. He’s doing a great job,” Everest said. “It’s all a part of football; wherever he can serve the team best. He’s a good player. He’s a good player. He’s smart, he pays attention, he listens and he applies. He’s a very impressive young man, I can tell you that.”

So impressive that Butler actually moved Spence from the “no rookie linebacker comes in and and starts” camp to the “we’ll see” camp after that spring dress rehearsal at Heinz Field.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,497 Times in 7,394 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I haven't heard much... but what I've heard has indeed been positive.  

I like Spence.  He reminds me of Zach Thomas: small, but instinctive & hard-hitting.  In turn, I am betting that he ends up having a similar career.  

I have been one of those  "conspiracy theorists" that could see him as a SS.  How likely is that?  Probably not very likely.  That said, I see him as the "new breed" of LB: a player who can run with the modern TE.  Fast enough to keep up with Hernandez & Davis, and big enough to tackle Gronkowski & Graham.  

In turn, I think Spence is the "new breed" of LB.  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think when they say "troys position" they mean a joker style player (usually a hybrid lb) moreso than stron safety per se.

in our defense you will see troy lined up anywhere from defensive end to free safety and anywhere between. he is quick enough to fool the offense and get to the ground he is supposed to cover or meet the ball where it is designed to go.
Great point.  He'd line up everywhere: ILB, OLB, SS...  

Also, I could see him lining up across from Gronkowski, Graham, et cetera for the entire game.  Like a large CB. If the TE stays in to block/it's a running play, the Spence plays the run.  If the TE runs a route, Spence covers him.  Spence is very instinctive and/or great at diagnosing run versus pass... making him perfect for this "N-LB" role.  (N-LB = nickel linebacker.)  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Canesfan90
Water Boy

Member Number: 24210

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
here is snippets from a recent local article written about him (see link for full article)-
This is great to hear. With all the "Thug U" stuff surrounding UM, Spence was a really refreshing experience for Canes fans during his time here. Spence could deliver the hit, occasionally deliver the reasonable cheap shot, and mouth off with opponents but he was first and foremost a football player, not a thug--and he understood that. He was the only one from the Northwestern class that stayed humble during all the hype and wasn't wearing the ridiculous shirts with their faces printed on them , he was also the only guy from that class to really produce--go figure. He's got a high football IQ, was a good student at UM, and was always lauded for his commitment to film. I'm a huge believer in these traits being the key to success. It's more common for player's character concerns to affect their progress behind closed doors in ways that don't make the headlines and fans rarely hear about. Spence is going to work his ass off, that's a fact, and he's going to contribute somehow for a long time just based on that.
Canesfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I haven't heard much... but what I've heard has indeed been positive.  

I like Spence.  He reminds me of Zach Thomas: small, but instinctive & hard-hitting.  In turn, I am betting that he ends up having a similar career.  

I have been one of those  "conspiracy theorists" that could see him as a SS.  How likely is that?  Probably not very likely.  That said, I see him as the "new breed" of LB: a player who can run with the modern TE.  Fast enough to keep up with Hernandez & Davis, and big enough to tackle Gronkowski & Graham.  

In turn, I think Spence is the "new breed" of LB.  
are you serving "in turn" ship?
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Grav
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14078

i can't wait to see this guy play in preseason!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
are you serving "in turn" ship?
Ergo, Steelers!!!... Ergo!!!