Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: Landis Notified of Positive Doping Test

Isn't he from PA?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Isn't he from PA?
Yes, Farmersville, Pa Lancaster County.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Landis denies cheating, but may lose Tour title
Associated Press
Posted: 11 minutes ago

LONDON (AP) - Floyd Landis' stunning Tour de France victory just four days earlier was thrown into question Thursday when his team said he tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race.

The Phonak team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test. If Landis is found guilty of doping, he could be stripped of the Tour title and fired from the team.

But Landis told Sports Illustrated on Thursday that he didn't cheat.

"No, c'mon man," he said when asked if he used some kind of testosterone patch to gain an advantage.

In a teleconference held later, Landis said he knows his reputation might be permanently tarnished. "Unfortunately, I don't think it's ever going to go away no matter what happens next," Landis said.

"I think there's a good possibility I'll clear my name," Landis continued. "Regardless of whether this happens or not, I don't know if this will ever go away."

Landis said he wouldn't be surprised if people were skeptical of him and the sport of cycling, but he pleaded for time to clear his name.

"All I'm asking for," he said, "is that I be given a chance to prove that I'm innocent. Cycling has a traditional way of trying people in the court of public opinion before they get a chance to do anything else.

"I would like to be presumed innocent until proven guilty - since that's the way we do things in America."

Arlene Landis said her son called Thursday from Europe and told her he had not done anything wrong.

"He said, 'There's no way,"' she said in an interview with The Associated Press at her home in Farmersville, Pennsylvania. "I really believe him."

Second-place finisher Oscar Pereiro, who would become champion if Landis is not cleared, said he was in no mood to celebrate.

"Should I win the Tour now it would feel like an academic victory," Pereiro told the AP at his home in Vigo, Spain. "The way to celebrate a win is in Paris, otherwise it's just a bureaucratic win."

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the International Cycling Union (UCI) on Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

The 30-year-old Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third overall. Despite a degenerative hip condition that will require surgery, he regained the leader's yellow jersey two days later.

Phonak's statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour. The team said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

It wasn't immediately known when the backup sample will be tested, but Phonak manager John Lelangue said the team would ask for that to happen in the next few days.

"He will be fighting ... waiting for the B analysis and then proving to everyone that this can be natural," Lelangue said in a telephone interview.

Arlene Landis said it could take two weeks for the results of the backup test to be made public.

"Of course he wasn't happy about it, but they're spoiling everything he's supposed to be doing right now," she said. "Why couldn't they take care of this before they pronounced him the winner? Lance (Armstrong) went through this too. Somebody doesn't want him to win.

"Why do they put you through two weeks of misery and spoil your crown? My opinion is when he comes on top of this everyone will think so much more of him. So that's what valleys are for, right?"

USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said that organization could not comment on the matter until the process is complete. Carla O'Connell, publications and communications director for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, also had no comment.

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said Landis was notified of the test Wednesday morning. He said the cycling body doesn't require analysis of the "B" sample, but that Landis requested it.

"We are confident in the first (test)," Carpani said. "For us, the first one is already good."

"It is obviously distressing," Tour director Christian Prudhomme said at a Paris news conference, stressing the backup test still must be done. Prudhomme said it would be up to the UCI to deretmine penalties.

Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid on WADA's list of banned substances, and its use can be punished by a two-year ban.

Testosterone can build muscle and improve recovery time when used over a period of several weeks, said Dr. Gary Wadler, a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency and a spokesman for the American College of Sports Medicine. But if Landis had been a user, his earlier urine tests during the tour would have been affected.

"So something's missing here," Wadler said. "It just doesn't add up."

Landis wrapped up his Tour de France win on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Armstrong, long dogged by doping whispers and allegations, won the previous seven. Armstrong never has tested positive for drugs and vehemently has denied doping.

Landis' inspiring Tour ride reminded many of fellow American Tyler Hamilton's gritty 2003 performance. Hamilton, riding for team CSC, broke his collarbone on the first day of the Tour but rode on, despite the pain, and finished fourth overall.

But, a year later, Hamilton, then riding for Phonak, tested positive for blood doping at a Spanish race and now is serving a two-year ban. He has denied blood doping.

Speculation that Landis had tested positive spread earlier Thursday after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders - including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso - were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe. Landis was not implicated in that investigation.

Asked repeatedly what might have tripped his positive test, Landis refused to lay blame on anything in particular. "As to what actually caused it on that particular day, I can only speculate," he said.

Landis said he was still in Europe, but declined to say exactly where. "Not to be elusive, I have to figure out a way to get to the airport and get home."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/story/5822020
Old 07-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Testosterone can build muscle and improve recovery time when used over a period of several weeks, said Dr. Gary Wadler, a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency and a spokesman for the American College of Sports Medicine. But if Landis had been a user, his earlier urine tests during the tour would have been affected.

"So something's missing here," Wadler said. "It just doesn't add up."
This is exactly what I was thinking when I first heard about this. It really doesn't make sense.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Yes, Farmersville, Pa Lancaster County.
Yep, that's correct. Landis is originally from Lancaster County, PA, but now resides in San Diego. His parents are Mennonites.

Shame on Landis if he was doping, but I'm hoping he wasn't.
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 AM   #16
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

I dunno...I think the French would do ANYTHING to tarnish the Americans...whats this?..like 7 yrs in a row we've won that race?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
SteelerzGirl
Banned

I heard on DVE on my way to work this morning that it's not looking good for Landis. He had a very high level of synthetic testosterone in his system.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Floyd Landis is a cheater

Landis is a cheater.

I'm really dissapointed to see this happen. First the world thought Lance cheated and now Landis becomes the first man to ever be stripped of a Tour de France title. Just a sad day in sports.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: Floyd Landis is a cheater

I have no sympathy for him or anyone of his ilk Barry Bonds!!
You have to be stupid to cheat in the first place because you'll eventually get caught and then you lose any and all credibility.

You get what you deserve.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #20
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Default Re: Floyd Landis is a cheater

I have no sympathy for Landis either. I think they should rename the race the Tour de Farce because that's what this race is becoming anymore.

I don't understand why athletes feel they can't compete on their abilities alone. It truly baffles me how they can be satisfied winning knowing they cheated.