Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,534 Times in 2,680 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Shooting at Batman movie

Ten people reported dead and nearly 40 injured at Aurora Mall
Shooting at Century Theater inside Aurora Mall during a midnight shooting of The Dark Knight Rises.

Read more: http://www.850koa.com/cc-common/news...#ixzz219Yeh3Dq

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Default Re: Shooting at Batman movie

Mass shooting at Batman premiereAT least 20 people have been hurt following a shooting at a cinema in Aurora, Colorado.(0:40 / 3.8MB)

The shooting took place at Aurora's Town Centre. Picture: Courtesy of NBC Source: news.com.au

AT LEAST 10 people have been killed and more than 20 wounded when two gunmen wearing a gas masks and body armour opened fire at a crowded cinema premiere in Denver.

Authorities have confirmed 10 dead and 39 injured in the shooting at at a cinema at a shopping mall in Aurora, Colorado.

Police arrested the alleged gunmen and were searching for another, following chaotic scenes at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises, the latest Batman movie, KDVR, a local Fox affiliate, reported.

Local radio station 850 KOA Radio quoted witnesses as saying that an individual wearing a gas mask opened fire in a theatre at the Aurora Mall.

The attacker then set off what appeared to be a smoke bomb or teargas bomb.

One witness, Hayden Miller, told Denver's 9News he was in an adjoining cinema when he heard "10-20 shots" and "small explosions".

"We heard people screaming," Mr Miller  said.

He said a voice then came over the PA system and "told us to get out".

"Everyone was running, screaming," he said.

One suspect was in custody, police said. It was unclear whether other suspects were involved.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Britain's Sky News that "a lot of people thought the gunshots were part of the movie."

"They heard what they thought were firecrackers," she added, citing witnesses. "Then they saw the bullets flying."

Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told AP: ``The scene is still very active and we have little information for release at this time.''

Swedish Medical Centre spokeswoman Nicole Williams said two people injured at the theatre had arrived at the hospital in critical condition.

She told AP emergency workers had said there could be several more patients.

The shooting happened in cinema 9 of the complex.

Witnesses also reported hearing explosions.

The bomb squad is also on the scene.

Aurora, a suburb of Denver, is not far from Littleton, scene of the Columbine High School massacre in 1999 that claimed 13 lives.

Check back for updates on this developing story

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

I just heard there was no evidence of a second gunman on an interview with the chief investigator. They have a suspect in custody.

14 people dead. 50 wounded.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,394 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Absolutely makes my stomach churn. There are some sick people in this world. I read that a police officer carried a 9 year old little girl with a gunshot wound to the back, out of the theatre. Simply unbelievable how someone could be so evil. Prayers to the victims, the families, the firefighters, ems personnel, and police officers involved in this situation.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

lunatics and their guns
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Numbers now 12 dead and 38 hurt. Gunman named as James Holmes, 24

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/aurora...9#.UAlPs3NCuYQ

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

The way mass casualty stories unfold in America has taken on a chilling familiarity.

As New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg again calls for gun-control efforts from our national leaders and critic Anthony Lane examines whether the shooter in Aurora, Colorado, could have been inspired by the villain in The Dark Knight Rises, it's clear that we as a nation have developed an awful template for reacting to our growing catalog of domestic mass-casualty events.

The age of new media being now well-established, it goes a little something like this:

First we get the shaky camera phone videos and the tweets. Then the distraught eyewitness interviews and 911 call recording. Quickly, the shooter is identified. Politicians issue statements of shock and sorrow. The shooter's parents, if interviewed, are confused and abashed or else hide. The social media forensics begin. People with the same or a similar name as the shooter are harassed. There is speculation he is part of a right-wing group, or an Islamic terrorist, or a former Army veteran. The FBI and the armed forces check their records and issue denials or confirmations. Calls for better gun control efforts are issued once again. Defenders of the Second Amendment fight back immediately, or even pre-emptively. The victims of the shooting are blamed in social media for being where they were attacked. More eye-witness interviews. The shooter's parents are castigated. Survivors speak. Warning signs are identified as the alleged shooter's past is plumbed. We ask if violent movies are to blame for his actions. Or cuts to mental-health services. And talk about what kind of country we are, if we have culture of violence. The death toll fluctuates. International voices from countries where guns are heavily regulated shake their heads at us. People leave piles of flowers and teddy bears at the shooting site. There are candlelight vigils, and teary memorials. Everyone calls for national unity and a moment of togetherness. Eventually, the traumatized community holds a big healing ceremony. It is moving, and terribly sad, and watched by millions on TV or online. A few activists continue to make speeches. The shooter, if still alive, rapidly is brought to trial. There is another wave of public discussion about our failures, and the nature of evil. Politicians make feints at gun-law changes, which fail. And then everyone forgets and moves on. Everyone, that is, except the survivors.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...-grief/260110/

Yep

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 07-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,635 Times in 1,991 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Wow...I was just at a midnight premier last night, and trust me, if a lunatic wanted to find a place to go insane, that's it. So many people, and such a small place for all of them to squeeze into.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Wow...I was just at a midnight premier last night, and trust me, if a lunatic wanted to find a place to go insane, that's it. So many people, and such a small place for all of them to squeeze into.
According to the NYPD Commissioner (chief of Aurora PD is former NYPD so the source presumably is reliable), the shooter had dyed his hair red like The Joker

Shooter also appears to have rigged his appartmet with booby traps - "“Chemical elements, incendiary linked together with all kinds of wires,“

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...g-in-colorado/

One seriously f***ed up person
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,635 Times in 1,991 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
According to the NYPD Commissioner (chief of Aurora PD is former NYPD so the source presumably is reliable), the shooter had dyed his hair red like The Joker

Shooter also appears to have rigged his appartmet with booby traps - "“Chemical elements, incendiary linked together with all kinds of wires,“

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...g-in-colorado/

One seriously f***ed up person
From what I was hearing, one of them had a mask on, looked just like bane. Crazy shit.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote