Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts
Default Butler- BUCK & MACK morphing into interchangable positions

this further explains the selection of Spence in the 3rd round. It is also a testament to the master dick lebeau as we witness the evolution of how defenses will be played to keep up with the high scoring passing offenses league rules have paved the way for.

steelersdepot breaks this down nicely along with an audio link to the actual interview (incredibly insightful)-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...e-linebackers/

Last edited by tony hipchest; 08-03-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed link
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,141 Times in 5,960 Posts
Default Re: Butler- BUCK & MACK morphing into interchangable positions

This link went to a page of tweets. A nice link, but not about Spence.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

hmmm...

fixed it.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Troy & Clark flip positions a lot... which is what makes Troy so difficult for QBs to "find."  Just when a QB thinks Troy is doing one thing, he's doing another... and, meanwhile, Clark is where the QB thought Troy should have been, then BLAMO!, the QB sees Clark (where he thought he had no defender), freaks out, and throws the ball away.  

Now... imagine a QB having that same problem reading the coverage LB (against his TEs).  Same result: balls thrown away (or intercepted).  

Furthermore, imagine right before the snap, the OLBs & ILBs flip-flop. The QB's reads (& O-line's reads) would alter... chaos ensues... wasted down.  

I like it.  Reminds me a lot of the Blitzburgh defenses in the 90s: QBs utterly confused.  
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,309 Times in 652 Posts

Sounds like Butler is saying that he wants to be able to have Timmons make calls, so if Foote is injured or ineffective....he can sub in the next guy up. Or have Jackson, Sylvester be able to sub for Foote.

I cant see them having to put Timmons outside again as much if Carter and Worilds are ready to backup. I still think you need a bigger thumper of an ILB on the strong side and that eventually may be Timmons, with Spence playing the weak side.

I honestly hope that Jackson shows well in camp and becomes the #1 backup at ILB. The guy can play inside or out like Keyaron Fox did.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts

it's time for timmons to become to leader of that defense IMO. I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier, but now that farrior is gone, and with foote not being a LT solution, timmons should be taking on that role

prolly in a year or 2 we'll likely see timmons at the buck and spence as mack. timmons isn't the prototypical buck but that's a lot of speed covering the middle of the field, which will be effective against the new breed of NFL offenses. lebeau and butler are doing a great job at building a defense that won't be obsolete in the coming years.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
it's time for timmons to become to leader of that defense IMO. I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier, but now that farrior is gone, and with foote not being a LT solution, timmons should be taking on that role

prolly in a year or 2 we'll likely see timmons at the buck and spence as mack. timmons isn't the prototypical buck but that's a lot of speed covering the middle of the field, which will be effective against the new breed of NFL offenses. lebeau and butler are doing a great job at building a defense that won't be obsolete in the coming years.
This is why I think it may be a good thing that we did not draft Hightower, even though he was the guy I really wanted.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushHard34 View Post
This is why I think it may be a good thing that we did not draft Hightower, even though he was the guy I really wanted.
i wouldn't have complained if we picked hightower, but sooner or later timmons would have to get used to calling defenses, when he's the sole MLB in nickel packages (since i'd assume hightower wouldn't be the guy for passing downs)

with spence in the picture though, either or could be on the field for passing downs. makes us less predictable and adds versatility
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Troy & Clark flip positions a lot... which is what makes Troy so difficult for QBs to "find."  Just when a QB thinks Troy is doing one thing, he's doing another... and, meanwhile, Clark is where the QB thought Troy should have been, then BLAMO!, the QB sees Clark (where he thought he had no defender), freaks out, and throws the ball away.  

Now... imagine a QB having that same problem reading the coverage LB (against his TEs).  Same result: balls thrown away (or intercepted).  

Furthermore, imagine right before the snap, the OLBs & ILBs flip-flop. The QB's reads (& O-line's reads) would alter... chaos ensues... wasted down.  

I like it.  Reminds me a lot of the Blitzburgh defenses in the 90s: QBs utterly confused.  
Clark has said NUMEROUS times that even HE doesn't know what Troy's doing at all times. That's why our defense simply works and it's why our defense is the hardest to figure out more-so than anybodies. If guys like Troy and Clark understand each other and play an unconventional type defense and safety-play that WORKS for them & if LeBeau allows it, then I'm all for that translating over to the Buck and Mack positions with our backers. Makes sense, since a TON of people compared Spence's football instincts, body of work and smarts to Polamalu.

We're going to be SO tough to beat, it isn't even funny.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
. Makes sense, since a TON of people compared Spence's football instincts, body of work and smarts to Polamalu.
When I watch(ed) Spence play, it was almost like he would move before the snap of the ball, and in turn, blow plays up.  Eerie & uncanny instincts.  

Spence reminds/reminded me of a certain long-haired SS.