Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
kmsteelerwr15
Team President

Location: going to school at Tusculum College but living in NC
Member Number: 1492
Default Signings

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
NEW YORK (AP) -- D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be right on time when Jets players report to training camp Thursday.

The No. 4 overall pick signed his contract Wednesday night, the Jets said. Fellow first-round selection Nick Mangold was close to signing his deal, and was expected to join Ferguson at team headquarters on reporting day. The Jets start practice Friday morning under new coach Eric Mangini.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets signed first-round pick Nick Mangold and second-round selection Kellen Clemens on Thursday, getting all their players signed in time for the start of training camp.

Mangold, a center out of Ohio State, is penciled in to start with fellow rookie D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The No. 4 overall pick signed his deal Wednesday night. Clemens, a quarterback out of Oregon, is expected to compete for the starting job with Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
ALBANY, New York (Ticker) - Defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka will be ready for training camp when practice sessions begin on Friday.

The New York Giants signed their first-round pick to a five-year contract on Thursday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

--------------------------------------------------

thats jus a few that happened today, im just to lazy to post the other.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Signings

According to NFL network, Vince Young agreed to a 6 year, 58 million dollar contract, with a little over 25 mil. guaranteed. That's actually 2 million more than the no. 1 overall pick got, with about 1 million less in guarantees.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe
According to NFL network, Vince Young agreed to a 6 year, 58 million dollar contract, with a little over 25 mil. guaranteed. That's actually 2 million more than the no. 1 overall pick got, with about 1 million less in guarantees.
$25 mil guaranteed for someone who is projected to ride the bench for 2 years is rediculous.

if the steelers ever have the bengals or browns "good luck" to get a top 5 pick, i see them trading out of the spot. id rather see someone like hines ward, faneca, polamalu get that type of money, not some unproven rookie.

i think ben at #11 and omar jacobs in the 5th is a better deal especially when 1 (if not both) could prove to be better than young, and over the course of a career, be much more economical.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
$25 mil guaranteed for someone who is projected to ride the bench for 2 years is rediculous.

if the steelers ever have the bengals or browns "good luck" to get a top 5 pick, i see them trading out of the spot. id rather see someone like hines ward, faneca, polamalu get that type of money, not some unproven rookie.

i think ben at #11 and omar jacobs in the 5th is a better deal especially when 1 (if not both) could prove to be better than young, and over the course of a career, be much more economical.
Im with you 100% on that one.

Its an open secret that he needs to the most work out of all the top QB's in this draft to make him NFL-ready - so would it be fair to say that some of the talents he has showcased in College so far are going to be almost irrelevant when he does start as an NFL QB?

I wonder when the infatuation with run'n'gun QB's is going to end.

Its nice to have a guy like Ben who can put the afterburners on to get himself out of trouble (I lost count of the amount of times we almost had him for a 7/8 yard loss only for him to twist and turn his way out of it) but I really dont think you want a guy who makes his WR's redundant by constantly running draw plays.

Factor in the inherent injury problems that come with getting pounded by angry LBers and I have to think that the QB position does not need to evolve beyond competent pocket passers who can scramble in an emergency.

On that subject, I think it is conventional wisdom that the better a QB gets, and the more games he plays the more he 'hangs in' to make a play happen rather than taking off on a run - to me, that is one of the areas Ben improved between last year and this.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Im with you 100% on that one.

Its an open secret that he needs to the most work out of all the top QB's in this draft to make him NFL-ready - so would it be fair to say that some of the talents he has showcased in College so far are going to be almost irrelevant when he does start as an NFL QB?

I wonder when the infatuation with run'n'gun QB's is going to end.

Its nice to have a guy like Ben who can put the afterburners on to get himself out of trouble (I lost count of the amount of times we almost had him for a 7/8 yard loss only for him to twist and turn his way out of it) but I really dont think you want a guy who makes his WR's redundant by constantly running draw plays.

Factor in the inherent injury problems that come with getting pounded by angry LBers and I have to think that the QB position does not need to evolve beyond competent pocket passers who can scramble in an emergency.

On that subject, I think it is conventional wisdom that the better a QB gets, and the more games he plays the more he 'hangs in' to make a play happen rather than taking off on a run - to me, that is one of the areas Ben improved between last year and this.

NM
and not to knock vince young or his style of play, cause i feel the same about alex smith and the deal the 49ers gave him. here philip rivers is going into his 3rd year as a very rich ball player and may still need 2 years before he starts showing the potential of eli manning. by that time his rookie contract is about up.

i think the often suggested rookie cap like what is had by the nba would be good. but on the flipside it would penalize the solid teams and allow the sorry teams to spend more on retooling in the free agent market. good if your team sucks and always gets these high picks, bad if you run a tight ship and stay on top year after year. maybe it is best as it is now. like i said id rather find a ben at 11 or polamalu at 17 than pay top $ for a huff/ s. taylor and a p. rivers in the top 10.

off topic i knew ben was the real deal his rookie season against the browns when he rolled out and stood in there for a 40 yard completion as he got completely leveled. bens riding without a helmet definitely goes hand in hand with his willingness to take a hit. sometimes it does seem like he thinks he can withstand any hit. i have seen him writhing on the ground a few too many times. hopefully maturity cures this.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Vince Young just signed a contract for more than the number one overall pick????

Reggie Bush must be having a spastic fit right about now.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote