Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default 5 things to look for during the preseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers

My article:

Quote:
Every team has questions in training camp, and despite their pedigree, the Pittsburgh Steelers are no different. For the fans, the best opportunity to look for their own answers is to watch the preseason games.

The Steelers will open their preseason schedule against the Philadelphia Eagles tomorrow, so here are a few things to look for, in no particular order, that could be key to the team’s success during the 2012 season:

1. Defensive line success

The Steelers are likely to start the 2012 regular season with only one third of the players that opened the 2011 season on the defensive line. Left defensive end Aaron Smith is retired and nose tackle Casey Hampton might start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. And even if he does not, he may not start immediately.

4th year former first round defensive end Ziggy Hood will be entering his first season as a starter, despite being forced into a starting role many times over the past two years due to Smith’s health. He had a pretty underwhelming season last year by some measures, but underwent a rigorous offseason training program this year.

Steve McLendon is no longer the 280 pound man he is listed as on the Steelers’ website. Reportedly now a lean 325 pounds, McLendon has reportedly had an electric camp. Hood and McLendon will likely only get a series or two in the first preseason game, making initial evaluations difficult, but it will be the first opportunity for most to see for themselves how the two young men have developed since January.

2. Health at wide receiver

With star wide receiver Mike Wallace still holding out, 3rd year man Emmanuel Sanders is currently slotted as a starter alongside 2011 team MVP Antonio Brown. Sanders broke his foot at the capitulation of the 2010 season in Super Bowl XLV and struggled with injuries throughout the 2011 season, so how he holds up will be crucial to the Steelers’ success.

Jerricho Cotchery, either the 3rd or 4th receiver depending on if Wallace decides to join the team, battle hamstring injuries last year, but seems to be free of nagging ailments thus far. With Wallace’s continued holdout, however, quality depth at receiver is relatively thin. The top three guys must stay healthy, or the team may be forced to seek help elsewhere.
Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/5-th...teelers-part-1
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,625 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: 5 things to look for during the preseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers

Good read, although your "Tweet" button isn't effective. The G+ and FB buttons work, though.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default Re: 5 things to look for during the preseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers

Good article, surprised that a completely revamped offense didn't make the list of things to watch!

But just FYI if you're still able to change it, I think you wanted some word other than "capitulation" in this sentence: "Sanders broke his foot at the capitulation of the 2010 season in Super Bowl XLV and struggled with injuries throughout the 2011 season, so how he holds up will be crucial to the Steelers’ success." Not sure what you meant to say there.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

I excluded the overall new offensive scheme because I don't think a lot of it will be shown during the preseason, especially not in the first game, so I don't think a lot of questions about the new offense will necessarily be answered by watching the preseason. I think if I was going to include a 6th item it would have probably been how Chris Carter does.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I excluded the overall new offensive scheme because I don't think a lot of it will be shown during the preseason, especially not in the first game, so I don't think a lot of questions about the new offense will necessarily be answered by watching the preseason. I think if I was going to include a 6th item it would have probably been how Chris Carter does.
perhaps so , but you don't think the top 2 picks who have high hopes riding on em , are less note worthy than hood and mclendon ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

If you're referring to the numerical listing, I wrote above that that it's in no particular order.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,698 Times in 1,777 Posts
My Mood: Fine

thanks for the write-up

My question to you is - what was it about Hood's performance last season that was underwhelming? Was it getting beat at the snap of the ball?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

He got tied up with blockers too often and didn't work in sync with Woodley for a lot of the season. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the second worst run stop percentage in the league among 3-4 defensive ends and in the bottom 10 in pass rush productivity.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,796 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
He got tied up with blockers too often and didn't work in sync with Woodley for a lot of the season. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the second worst run stop percentage in the league among 3-4 defensive ends and in the bottom 10 in pass rush productivity.
Does Pro Football Focus explain that the job of a defensive end in Dick LeBeau's 3-4 defense IS" to get tied up with blockers", so that the LB's can flow to the ball and make tackles??
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

That was my observation, and I was referring to instances in which his job was to pass rush. Comparing Keisel's success against the pass and against the run puts it in perspective that Hood's 2011 season was disappointing.