Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Haley, Steelers are rushing to make a point

The mere fact that Ben and Haley are thinking of the same play in certain situation is a really, REALLY good sign of where things are heading . . .so stoked.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Might have something to do with the fact the team that was dead last in rushing won the Super Bowl.

I don't think anyone is saying "don't run the ball." Just don't run the ball because you feel like you have to in order to please the fans stuck in the 70's. Quality is more important that quantity when running.
So living by statistical exceptions is the way to go I guess. Better run out and get lightning strike insurance.

The Arians offense devalued the running game. It made the team relatively one dimensional on offense. It made teams not respect the run, so they focused on pass rush and put hits on the QB. Then, when the team needed to close out games with a run game they could not.

The 2002 Cleveland Browns offensive issues in the AFC Wildcard game was a microcosiim for the last 5 years of Steelers offensive inefficiency. I am happy and hopeful that we have moved on from that.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
So living by statistical exceptions is the way to go I guess. Better run out and get lightning strike insurance.

The Arians offense devalued the running game. It made the team relatively one dimensional on offense. It made teams not respect the run, so they focused on pass rush and put hits on the QB. Then, when the team needed to close out games with a run game they could not.

The 2002 Cleveland Browns offensive issues in the AFC Wildcard game was a microcosiim for the last 5 years of Steelers offensive inefficiency. I am happy and hopeful that we have moved on from that.
I guess you didn't read the rest of my post after my reference to last year's Giants.

Oh well, back to Cowherball then! Why step on a team's throat when you can play for field goals and put all the pressure on your defense!

That chin itself would make a good fullback!
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the rest of my post after my reference to last year's Giants.

Oh well, back to Cowherball then! Why step on a team's throat when you can play for field goals and put all the pressure on your defense!

That chin itself would make a good fullback!
And I guess you didnt read my reference to an offense being one dimensional.

Oh well, back to scapegoating the Steelers coach of the 90's and your hate for "Cowherball".
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
And I guess you didnt read my reference to an offense being one dimensional.

Oh well, back to scapegoating the Steelers coach of the 90's and your hate for "Cowherball".
This is where some in Steeler Nation have me confused. They want three yards and a cloud of dust offense, but they also want less pressure on the defense to win games. That kind of football puts TREMENDOUS pressure on the defense.

And yes, I did read you're reference to an offense being one dimensional, my response was this:

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying "don't run the ball." Just don't run the ball because you feel like you have to in order to please the fans stuck in the 70's. Quality is more important that quantity when running.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,108 Times in 4,597 Posts

Quote:
This is where some in Steeler Nation have me confused. They want three yards and a cloud of dust offense, but they also want less pressure on the defense to win games. That kind of football puts TREMENDOUS pressure on the defense:
Wrong. Polamalu even says "wrong".

3 and out puts tremendous pressure on the defense.

in the 4 minute offense when you are trying to win the game, 3 yds and a cloud of dust erases 2.25 minutes off the clock WITHOUT a first down. get a first down = game over.

wasnt cowher like 100-1-1 with a 10 point lead and pretty much undefeated taking a lead into the 4th quarter?

compare that to all the 4th quarter leads we have lost when arians decides to air it out and ben throws an interception or gets sacked and fumbles (or we simply go 3 and out four times in a row. the defense is GASSED.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
This is where some in Steeler Nation have me confused. They want three yards and a cloud of dust offense, but they also want less pressure on the defense to win games. That kind of football puts TREMENDOUS pressure on the defense.

And yes, I did read you're reference to an offense being one dimensional, my response was this:
Honestly, I think you have assumed that a majority of Steeler Nation wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I havent seen anybody on this board or SU that has said they want that.

And if you want to take pressure off the defense to win games, then have a team that can run a 4 minutes offense and close out games, instead of one that throws incomplete passes to give the ball right back to the opposition.

Seriously G....why the Cowher hate?? Did he spit on you at a game one day??
Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,706 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Deja vu.  Are we reeeally discussing this AGAIN???  

Running for running's sake is not what anyone is advocating.  

Running when the Steelers need to and/or should run is what people are advocating.  

3rd & 1:  try running everyone once in a while.  

1st & goal from inside the 1:  try running everyone once in a while.  

Two minutes left, in FG range, trying to secure a lead & run out the clock (eg the Denver play-off game from last season):  try running everyone once in a while.

And, about Cowher: 

1994: Poorest of luck in the AFCCG (a game wherein passing yard records were broken, and the league's two leading rushing attacks never eclipsed 70 yards... and, from the 3 yard-line, they pass... knocked down... ugh).  

1995:  The "N" (a nameless, bearded QB) throws two INTs, directly at Larry Brown (setting up 10 easy points).  

1997:  Kordell throws three INTs in the red-zone.  

2001:  Specisl teams snafu.  

2004:  BB was a rookie.  Throws three INTs (two of which were returned for TDs).  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Wrong. Polamalu even says "wrong".

3 and out puts tremendous pressure on the defense.

in the 4 minute offense when you are trying to win the game, 3 yds and a cloud of dust erases 2.25 minutes off the clock WITHOUT a first down. get a first down = game over.

wasnt cowher like 100-1-1 with a 10 point lead and pretty much undefeated taking a lead into the 4th quarter?

compare that to all the 4th quarter leads we have lost when arians decides to air it out and ben throws an interception or gets sacked and fumbles (or we simply go 3 and out four times in a row. the defense is GASSED.
Arians called for too many high-risk passes in those situations IMO. You can ice a game with lower risk passes when the other team isn't letting you ice it on the ground. In this situation Arians should've used the TEs more (along with many other situations).

Remember the first Raven game in 2010? Steelers pinned deep in their own zone, but could ice the game with a first down. Run run run punt. You don't think a short, safe pass should have been attempted? Tomlin shouldn't coach scared. Remember 3rd and 19? Remember the end of the AFCCG against the Jets? I doubt Troy was disappointed in those outcomes. It's not just run or bust.

Time of possession is important, but scoring point is much more helpful in taking the pressure off a defense.

The mentality seems to be if the defense is rested then it's invincible. Wrong. Absolutely wrong. Oh sure you can take a lot of time off the clock, but if you end up punting away because you didn't want to pass on a 3rd&6, or you settle for a FG because you're scared to let your QB take a shot at the endzone you're still putting tremendous pressure on that defense.

If it comes down to another 3rd & 6 with the choice between playing scared and running or trusting Ben, I'll trust Ben. I hope to see this offensive line control the line of scrimmage and minimize those situations, but I also hope Haley creates some short passing plays just in case.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Deja vu.  Are we reeeally discussing this AGAIN???  

Running for running's sake is not what anyone is advocating.
Agreed. El-Gonzo seems to think I want Ben to break Brees' record from last year.