Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Haley, Steelers are rushing to make a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Wrong. Polamalu even says "wrong".
....that's when you know your wrong

As far as the "3 yards and a cloud of dust", nobody is asking for that. What everybody want's is efficient running. "Cowherball" is definitely not efficient enough for what we now need, but with a good defense it's still a winnable strategy, just not as much now as it used to be.

Cowher never had a QB and went a while without a real #1 WR, let alone a viable #2 or #3 option. Yet we always had a RB that was effective, especially when we got the Bus, so what else was he expected to do. If Neil O'Donnel or Kordell threw as much as Ben has the last few years the turnover ratio and 3rd down conversion % would be so terrible that the defense would not have been able to make up for it. Even if they went 50/50, you don't really wan't Kordell or O'Donnel throwing that much.

Last edited by tanda10506; 08-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Agreed. El-Gonzo seems to think I want Ben to break Brees' record from last year.
Again, an incorrect assumption.

The only thing that I seem to know your thoughts on this topic is that you hate Cowher and his teams offenses of the 1990's.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,655 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post

yup, that's when you just have to immediately shut up and admit you're wrong.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I hate Cowher? Not sure I ever said that. Some of you must be bad at sensing sarcasm. He did good considering what he had, and back then the NFL wasn't as offensively-oriented as it was today. Still, there were some times I would've liked to seem him keep his foot on the pedal instead of playing not to lose. Steeler fans didn't need the stress. If he coached today I don't think he would be as conservative, especially if he had an established QB. Today he even admits the offense's strength is their QB and receivers.

My main point isn't about Cowher, my point is about not playing scared. Did you see those high-percentage passes Ben threw in the first series against the Eagles? THAT'S what I'm talking about. You can mix that in with the ground game to help ice a win at the end.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sit in a corner and grumble about Cowher since I hate him so much while simultaneously hoping Ben is the first QB to have a 6000 yard season.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #25
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the rest of my post after my reference to last year's Giants.

Oh well, back to Cowherball then! Why step on a team's throat when you can play for field goals and put all the pressure on your defense!

That chin itself would make a good fullback!
and what was the record under Cowherball with a lead? When we got a lead and ran the ball we hardly ever lost. There was nothing better than a 10pt lead going into the second half. Almost guaranteed a win.

and with the running game, quantity does matter. this ties back getting the lead and finishing the game. You lead going into the 4th qtr, you ran the ball sufficiently all day, the defense is tired and you control the clock.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #26
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post

As far as the "3 yards and a cloud of dust", nobody is asking for that. What everybody want's is efficient running. "Cowherball" is definitely not efficient enough for what we now need, but with a good defense it's still a winnable strategy, just not as much now as it used to be.

Cowher never had a QB and went a while without a real #1 WR, let alone a viable #2 or #3 option. Yet we always had a RB that was effective, especially when we got the Bus, so what else was he expected to do. If Neil O'Donnel or Kordell threw as much as Ben has the last few years the turnover ratio and 3rd down conversion % would be so terrible that the defense would not have been able to make up for it. Even if they went 50/50, you don't really wan't Kordell or O'Donnel throwing that much.
good points.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #27
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
This is where some in Steeler Nation have me confused. They want three yards and a cloud of dust offense, but they also want less pressure on the defense to win games. That kind of football puts TREMENDOUS pressure on the defense.

And yes, I did read you're reference to an offense being one dimensional, my response was this:
Huh? You have that backwards. "3 yards and a cloud of dust" really needs to be 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust, all the way down the field until the endzone. It takes time off of the clock while the defense and the opponent's offense are off of the field. Cowher had Donahoe for a GM for most of his tenure, and so never had all of the players he needed. It's the touchdown or bust philosophy that puts tremendous pressure on a defense, even when it works, and it usually doesn't. The BEST case scenario in TD or bust is that the defense gets to the sideline gets a sip of water and goes back out with one more TD on the board. The worst case is that the defense barely gets to sideline, doesn't even get water before having to go back out after the interception in the shadow of their own goal post. There's no time in that to breathe, no time to make adjustments, no time to clear your head, you just play until you drop, and then get blamed for being worn down in the fourth quarter after a game of superhuman heroics, mostly on your own side of the field.

Does any of that sound familiar to you? It should. Any other defense in the NFL, including the Purple Crows, would have imploded years ago. It is a testament to LeBeau and the defensive players that the Steelers have not only been above mediocre, but in the championship hunt under Tomlin and Arians.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote