Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Reach Agreement with Reid

Steelers extend Colbert's contract
Third-round pick Reid also reaches agreement

Friday, July 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed one of their top people yesterday, and have just one rookie left without a contract heading to training camp in Latrobe this evening.

Kevin Colbert, the club's director of football operations the past six seasons, will stay in that job at least another five after he signed a four-year contract extension through 2010 yesterday.

The Steelers also reached an agreement with third-round pick Willie Reid on a three-year contract, which he is expected to sign today and report to training camp on time.

Rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs yesterday officially signed the three-year contract that was completed two days ago. Jacobs' deal includes a $115,000 signing bonus and annual salaries of $275,000, $360,000 and $445,000.

That leaves receiver Santonio Holmes, the team's first-round draft choice, as the only rookie who has not come to a contract agreement approaching the Steelers' 6 p.m. reporting time today at St. Vincent College.

Agent Joel Segal and Steelers chief negotiator Omar Khan are discussing a five-year contract for Holmes, the longest he can receive under rules of the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement. Also, because of the new CBA that was implemented in March, the team cannot insert any language in the contract that would cancel part or all of his signing bonus if he were to be arrested again. Holmes has been arrested twice since he was drafted.

Colbert, 49, joined the Steelers in 2000, leaving the Detroit Lions, where he was their pro scouting director for 10 years. He is a Pittsburgh native and a graduate of North Catholic High School and Robert Morris College.

"We are very pleased to have Kevin continue as an important member of our front office for years to come," said Steelers president Art Rooney II in a statement. "Obviously, he has played a vital role in our success over the past several years, including the Super Bowl title last season."

Colbert is in charge of the team's football operations, all player personnel and scouting decisions.

"I'm very thankful for the opportunity to remain with the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Colbert in a statement. "My family and I are very fortunate to be a part of such a special organization."

Before joining the Lions, he spent one season (1984) with the BLESTO Scouting Service and five years as a college scout with the Miami Dolphins (1985-89).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06209/709243-66.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-28-2006 at 12:19 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Steelers Reach Agreement with Reid

K.C. stays. Brilliant. Omar Jacobs may begin to sound very thrifty if he moves ahead of Batch. Very Thrifty.

Reid in. No shocker.

I read somewhere that Holmes will sign. He probably wants to be the last to sign being that he IS the first rounder.

Again no shocker. Dude. Seek counseling. If you won't takes Ben's calls then...WTF!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I"m very happy to see that Willie Reid has signed. I really think this young man is a diamond in the rough and is going to be one hell of an asset to the team. Kudos to Kevin Colbert too - he's done an outstanding job and doesn't get the praise he is due.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I"m very happy to see that Willie Reid has signed. I really think this young man is a diamond in the rough and is going to be one hell of an asset to the team. Kudos to Kevin Colbert too - he's done an outstanding job and doesn't get the praise he is due.
I'm with you all the way on Willie Reid. We know he is a very good punt returner. Since he broke some of Deion "Prime Time" Sander's records at Florida State for punt returning. Now if he can learn the WR position. He could prove to be the steal of the 2006 draft. Plus here is an interesting fact about Reid. He started out at Florida State as a RB. So he has some RB skills. I wonder what kind of tricks the Steelers can come up for Reid. Bottom line the kid has some talent and skills.

Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 07-28-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
I'm with all the way on Willie Reid. We know he is a very good punt returner. Since he broke some of Deion "Prime Time" Sander's records at Florida State for punt returning. Now if he can learn the WR position. He could prove to be the steal of the 2006 draft. Plus here is an interesting fact about Reid. He started out at Florida State as a RB. So he has some RB skills. I wonder what kind of tricks the Steelers can come up for Reid. Bottom line the kid has some talent and skills.
As always, good points and facts. It's nice to see us get this kid locked up and ready for camp. Work on his WR skills and he could bloom into something special in the long run.

Would be nice to see him involved in a few reverses this season. Speed kills.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
As always, good points and facts. It's nice to see us get this kid locked up and ready for camp. Work on his WR skills and he could bloom into something special in the long run.

Would be nice to see him involved in a few reverses this season. Speed kills.
I agree speed kills. Thats why I loved this past draft. If Holmes can prove to stay out of trouble and Reid develops his game as a reciever. The Steelers will have some serious speed overall on offense in the future. Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts

Quote:
Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.
...clearing the middle for a wide open heath and hines, with a healthy, more accurate and mature ben picking his spots? could be deadly. i think the days of seeing a steady diet of 8-10 defenders in the box will soon come to an end.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
I agree speed kills. Thats why I loved this past draft. If Holmes can prove to stay out of trouble and Reid develops his game as a reciever. The Steelers will have some serious speed overall on offense in the future. Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.
All that speed will bring chills to my body. It's going to be an awesome thing to watch.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
...clearing the middle for a wide open heath and hines, with a healthy, more accurate and mature ben picking his spots? could be deadly. i think the days of seeing a steady diet of 8-10 defenders in the box will soon come to an end.
Hell yea Tony, I agree man. This added speed will make life alot easier for Hines and Heath. Plus just the threat of Santonio's and Willie's speed on the outside will take those extra defenders out of the box for Willie Parker. The Steelers are the champs and loaded to make a run at more titles. Life is grand.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA
All that speed will bring chills to my body. It's going to be an awesome thing to watch.
Its going to excitng and very fun for us Steelers fans the next five or so years. The Steelers offense has the potential to very dangerous. The key is Ben and having no set backs from his accident. I think he will be fine. But you just don't know.