Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #31
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: TE/FB David Johnson tears ACL- will miss season

He's cost us in some big moments (missed SB block, drop vs Ravens that would have likely sealed the deal) but it still sucks to see a Steeler get such a severe injury. Sounded like he was playing well in camp but unfortunately for him that might be his last game in black and gold.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,774 Times in 3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
He's cost us in some big moments (missed SB block, drop vs Ravens that would have likely sealed the deal) but it still sucks to see a Steeler get such a severe injury. Sounded like he was playing well in camp but unfortunately for him that might be his last game in black and gold.
kemo missed a block, ben missed a good read and throw, ike barely missed swatting down a 3rd down completion, mendenhall missed securing the ball, a fg was missed. ARIANS missed green bay giving them the run all day long, keyron fox missed keeping his head on straight, wallace missed converting a 1st down in the final minute etc....

lots of people missed that day. green bay really didnt miss on shit and that was the difference. steelerfans just seem to focus on dj's miss the most cause that was the biggest momentum swinger of the game. had he made that block, he woulda never been the hero, or even receive any accolades. he woulda just been one of many who did their job.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kemo missed a block, ben missed a good read and throw, ike barely missed swatting down a 3rd down completion, mendenhall missed securing the ball, a fg was missed. ARIANS missed green bay giving them the run all day long, keyron fox missed keeping his head on straight, wallace missed converting a 1st down in the final minute etc....

lots of people missed that day. green bay really didnt miss on shit and that was the difference. steelerfans just seem to focus on dj's miss the most cause that was the biggest momentum swinger of the game. had he made that block, he woulda never been the hero, or even receive any accolades. he woulda just been one of many who did their job.
Don't forget how horrible William Gay was when he missed the easy coverage on Jordy Nelson. Anyone posting here on these boards could have blanketed Nelson, no doubt.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #34
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,687 Times in 876 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

All due respect........taken in totality, DJ's career as a Steeler includes many more forgettable moments and misplays than positive contributions.
Play word association, "David Johnson's Big Plays."
What comes to mind?
With this said, I still feel for the guy. Maybe Haley would have been able to get more out of him. We may never know now.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,574 Times in 8,908 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
That final drive started off with poor return, then the Fox penalty, followed by mayhem & confusion, sprinkle in a dash of poor clock management, and baste with some bad pass & catch attempts.  Voila!!!  LOSS.  

How might things have been entirely different, if that kick-off hadn't been returned... setting off a downward spiral.

Plenty of blame to go around.  

It was the antithesis of the XLIII final drive, where everyone looked calmed, and the plays went well (only one penalty).  
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

To try and stay on a positive note - here is an article about how early in camp - both FB's on the roster were pretty much neck and neck towards the starting job - I thought the job was the vets to lose, but maybe - while thin, our FB situation isn't hopeless?

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/07/3...training-camp/
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

David Johnson's injury hurts TE depth more than it does the FB position. I know yinzer nation is excited about a FB, but in all likelihood one will only be used about 10% of the time. I'm sure Will Johnson is more than capable of handling that. I hope he can catch out of the backfield.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
All due respect........taken in totality, DJ's career as a Steeler includes many more forgettable moments and misplays than positive contributions.
Play word association, "David Johnson's Big Plays."
What comes to mind?
With this said, I still feel for the guy. Maybe Haley would have been able to get more out of him. We may never know now.
I completely disagree. You rarely notice when a fullback makes a great block, like a lineman (say, when he sprang Rashard Mendenhall for the game winner of the 2010 opener, blocking two men at the same time. Or Mendenhall's 38 yard touchdown against the Saints that same year). Positions such as fullback are far more noticeable when they mess up. It's unfair but it's true. The reality is that Johnson was improving all the time and was expected to make a fairly significant leap this year.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #39
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,774 Times in 3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
David Johnson's injury hurts TE depth more than it does the FB position. I know yinzer nation is excited about a FB, but in all likelihood one will only be used about 10% of the time. I'm sure Will Johnson is more than capable of handling that. I hope he can catch out of the backfield.
he played wr for the WVU mountaneers.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,384 Times in 4,786 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
he played wr for the WVU mountaneers.