Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Recapping the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Eagles

This is my first attempt at recapping a game since I started writing, and it's long, so bear with me. I actually sat down and watched the game (on a crappy feed) with a pen and notebook and took notes on just about every play. Of course, you miss a ton of things watching it once, but I think I was able to take note of a lot of things.

Recapping the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Eagles Please click the link to see the full article. It's in 3 parts. The slideshows also include pictures from the game.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers opened up their preseason schedule tonight against the Philadelphia Eagles, but the success of this first venture is not the type to be decided by wins and losses. In the preseason, what matters first and foremost is health. Secondary to that is execution and situational role playing.

To that end, there were a few injuries of note during the game, unfortunately, the most severe appearing to be to fullback/tight end David Johnson, who had right tackle Marcus Gilbert fall on his right knee. It did not appear at the time that he was able to put any weight on the knee, and he may be out for the entire season with a torn ACL.

Rookie left tackle Mike Adams also suffered a less severe right knee injury, who left the game near the start of the 2nd quarter after struggling in his NFL debut. Running back Jonathan Dwyer also suffered an AC shoulder sprain. It would be difficult to consider this game a success if the Steelers have indeed lost David Johnson for the season and if Mike Adamsí progress is set back significantly due to his injury.

The following are my own observations on the game.

The Steelers lost the game 23-24 on a last minute 51 yard field goal, but the loss is meaningless in the long run. The Steelers went into the locker room at halftime with a 13-0 lead on scoring drives led by Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.

To recap the game, the Steelers opened with a 16 play, nearly 10 minute drive that ultimately led to a 46 yard Shaun Suisham field goal. Some of the new features of the Todd Haley offense were apparent immediately with a significant amount of quick release passes to running backs and tight ends.

Included on that drive was a vintage Ben Roethlisberger scramble on 3rd and 11 that led to an across the field completion to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders for the first down. Big Ben was sacked twice on the drive, once when Adams failed to get his hands on the edge rusher and again four plays later when left guard Ramon Foster was late out of his stance. The Steelers were 2 for 4 on 3rd down and 1 for 1 on 4th down on the drive.

Rookie 1st round guard David DeCastro overall had an impressive debut, earning few demerits. He was able to pull block several times with success, and had very few mental errors. He was slightly out-manned physically at the goal line, but it was still an impressive debut while playing with the first team offense.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,868 Times in 3,381 Posts
Default Re: Recapping the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Eagles

good job. ive been doing nightly recaps for our local indy league baseball team and know it can be very taxing (especially going to every home game w/o taking notes and writing a synopsis with nothing but a margarita buzz and box scores at midnight on a weekday).
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

nice read. good job
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Not so long as you think, and well written. Good perspective.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,887 Times in 1,880 Posts
My Mood: Fine

WTF:

A. Our O-linemen inevitably fall victim to injury
B. Not only do they go down, but they tend to injure others in the process of just trying to stay upright. What the heck IS IT WITH THESE GUYS. It really is ridiculous how often this is happening.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Stangboy06
Water Boy

Member Number: 19069

but on first and goal 3 running plays up the middle and an incomplete pass so much for a new O coordinator
same great play calling as last year
Stangboy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
WTF:

A. Our O-linemen inevitably fall victim to injury
B. Not only do they go down, but they tend to injure others in the process of just trying to stay upright. What the heck IS IT WITH THESE GUYS. It really is ridiculous how often this is happening.

Yeah its some BS.....I was hoping we'd at least get 2 games, preferably Games #2 and #3, of

Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

But here we go again with the names flipping like a slot machine

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
lotas
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangboy06 View Post
but on first and goal 3 running plays up the middle and an incomplete pass so much for a new O coordinator
same great play calling as last year
Whoa there turbo. Not only is it ridiculous to generalize the entire "play calling" on one goal line series, but hell yes you should be running at the goal line, and you should be pounding it through even when the defense knows its coming. Do you know how many times we did that with Bettis? He had 90- something TD's for a reason.

Haley has said his philosophy offensively is he wants to be able to run with success when the opposing team knows it's coming. So of course he's going to run in that situation, and hopefully, by the start of the season, we'll be able to.
lotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Hey now, we have perfected the game winning score prevent defense stance. That worked precisely as it should.

Rainey looked really good though.

First team except Adams played well. Eagles starters were inept and couldn't do anything and played a couple series to our 1. Sitting in the stands the fans were already yelling at their players from the first snap.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,716 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
First team except Adams played well. .
i thought foster was the worst tbh