Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Steelers linebacker Chris Carter making, leaving marks

Steelers linebacker Chris Carter making, leaving marks
July 31, 2012 12:00 am
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It seemed as if it were a simple enough running play, just another run to the left in an 11-on-11 scrimmage drill that allows hitting but no tackling.

And Chris Carter, an outside linebacker who is known more for his speed, took advantage of the hitting.

From his right outside position, Carter came charging through the line of scrimmage and took on the lineman headed toward him, 335-pound tackle Chris Scott.

Carter -- who came to camp weighing 246 pounds, 8 pounds heavier than he was as a rookie in 2011 -- gives away nearly 90 pounds to Scott. But that didn't stop him from taking on Scott with a thunderous hit and blowing up the running play, all but stopping Scott in his tracks.

His defensive teammates celebrated as if Carter just stopped Ray Rice on fourth-and-inches at the goal line. Even Coach Mike Tomlin let out a whoop.

That's what the coaches have been eager to see from Carter, a fifth-round draft choice in 2011 who was a pass-rushing defensive end at Fresno State. And they have been seeing it with increasing and pleasant regularity at training camp.

"I came in a little heavier because I wanted to, and I came in a lot stronger, too," Carter said. "And I knew I was going do all the reps with the first team, so you have to be prepared. You have to have your body ready if you want to make improvements with the position I play. I couldn't stay where I was. I had to go up a couple pounds."

Carter is getting a big-time chance to make a mark at training camp. With Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison on the physically unable-to-perform list and backup Jason Worilds expected to be out two to four weeks recovering from wrist surgery, Carter is working with the first-team defense at right outside linebacker.

His specialty is rushing the passer, something he did superbly in college when he registered 11 sacks and 16 1/2 tackles for losses, and was named the Western Athletic Conference defensive player of the year as a senior. Carter is so quick he is probably the fastest player off the edge among the Steelers linebackers.

Now, though, he is trying to learn more of the other nuances of being an outside linebacker in the NFL.

"He doesn't know much about a lot of pass coverage and formations," said linebackers coach Keith Butler. "He's always been right on the tight end or the tackle. He has to play the true linebacker position and he's never had to do that.

"But he's still learning. He's a never-say-die guy. He's Clark Haggans. I feel like he's going to be quicker and maybe a little stronger when he does learn it.

Butler said he also would like to see Carter use more than just his speed in pass-rush situations.

"He needs to learn to use his speed in terms of turning and bull-rushing people, to get strong enough in his legs to do what we call walk the dog -- take the tackle back to the quarterback," Butler said. "I think he will be, but I think he has to learn to do that."

And Carter said he is ready to do so. With the offseason training activities and minicamp -- something he didn't have last season during the lockout -- he is way ahead of where he was in 2011 and a lot more comfortable with his defensive assignments.

"I know how to approach this training camp; I'm not so much stressed about it now," Carter said. "All you can do is play. Your play determines your future. I understand that. When you come in as a rookie, you're just praying and hoping they keep you on the team.

"Sometimes you don't think about those small variables. It's those types of things -- the fact I can grasp and understand the playbook-- that help me play faster and be more confident, too.

"I think the best thing of all is I'm out there with the 1s, with Brett [Keisel], with Troy [Polamalu], Ryan [Clark], Ike [Taylor], LaMarr [Woodley]. It forces you to get all the concepts, the playbook, get everything down correct.
You don't want to mess those dudes up. They take it seriously. I have to get it together quick. In the long run, it helps me out, too."

Ask Chris Scott.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers linebacker Chris Carter making, leaving marks

Thanks for sharing nice read. It will be a interesting battle for that position. I am so hyped up this year with the veterans we have and the rookie class. Should be a great year for some Steeler football.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

hopefully Carter can step up and take over Harrison's position next season because Worilds seems to always be hurt
Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
hopefully Carter can step up and take over Harrison's position next season because Worilds seems to always be hurt
Absolutely. I think Worilds needs to be very concerned about his tenure with the Steelers.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936

just keep it up and stay healthy.
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,039 Posts
My Mood: Dead

When he was drafted, Trent Dilfer averred: "THAT is why the Steelers win EVERY year."  

He went in to laud how great of a steal Carter was (for a R5 pick).  Merril Hoge (I believe) and he discussed how he was a project (simply a pass-rusher; not "complete" yet), but could turn out to be "the next in a long line of GREAT Pittsburgh OLBs."  
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

All right. Worilds will be a forever backup or off the team at this rate. I have defended Worilds pick but I am not so sure why at this point. It sounds like Carter has what it takes to fill that position if Harrison can't go all year.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,856 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
All right. Worilds will be a forever backup or off the team at this rate. I have defended Worilds pick but I am not so sure why at this point. It sounds like Carter has what it takes to fill that position if Harrison can't go all year.
When Worlids was drafted I was puzzled and still am. Sean Lee, Pat Angerer and Brandon Spikes were still on the board and we could have uses any of them by last season to replace Farrior.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Let's hope 1 of the many OLB's we have drafted in the past few years pans out. Looks like Harrison is going to struggle to stay healthy and if Carter is the man, so be it. We just need someone, Woirlds isn't working out, to work out!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
When he was drafted, Trent Dilfer averred: "THAT is why the Steelers win EVERY year."  

He went in to laud how great of a steal Carter was (for a R5 pick).  Merril Hoge (I believe) and he discussed how he was a project (simply a pass-rusher; not "complete" yet), but could turn out to be "the next in a long line of GREAT Pittsburgh OLBs."  
Dilfer and Carter are both Bulldogs. Of course he was happy. My main concern with Chris will be him going up against tackles that are much bigger than him. There were times when Fresno State went up against tougher competition and Chris was a non factor.

He was the best player on a front seven defense that was one of the worst in college ball.

I wish the Bulldog the best.