Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Random thoughts after Philly Game

Sean Spence was getting blocked a lot out there.

Kelvin Beachum looks like a guy from a small school who isn't very strong.

DeCastro is game ready.

G Ryan Lee looked real good. He played at the end against scrubs but he knew assignments and pulled well. Hope he bumps up to at least 2nd team.

Cortez Allen will win starting job.

Newly acquired CB Josh Victorian could have been the hero if he held on to that interception on Philly's last drive. It would have won the game and I'm sure gotten him some pub to increase his chances of sticking.

McClendon could be a pro-bowler some day. He plays a penetrating style like Dallas' Jay Radliff. He also could play DE. Very valuable guy. Good thing he is a RFA next year.

FB Will Johnson will be just fine. He got to his man every time I saw. What we haven't seen and should surprise is his great hands and route running. On the Leftwich fumble Johnson heads out on a pass route and blows past his defender with ease. He would have been open deep for a huge gain. A sub 4.5 40 time could lead to big plays.

The Al Woods interception may have looked like a gift but he showed incredible athleticism through the whole play. .

Brandon Johnson 6'5" 245 playing OLB for the first time had a tipped pass, explosive hit, and caused the pressure on the interception by Woods. I like him better there then anyone so far.

OLB Chris Carter had no tackles in the game. Not impressed even though he got pressure.

OLB Adrien Robinson could be the heir apparent as he progresses. Dead Tired in between plays he still managed to muster the pass rush. We need to see him play earlier in the next game.

QB Jerrod Johnson needed to throw that ball at the end. A slim chance to win but running to the sideline and killing that time doomed the team for sure. Throw the ball man. Show some guts.

Charlie Batch better play more next week just so the young receivers get a chance to show something. Jerrod Johnson won't make them look good.

WRs Marquis Maze or Tyler Beiler will make this team over Toney Clemons.

If Jonathan Dwyer committed himself to staying fit and could somehow avoid getting hurt he would be the far better back over Redman.

Leonard Pope known for being a poor blocker looked excellent making contact and sticking to his man doing his blocking assignments aggressively.

Tyler Beiler the next Wes Welker? All he does is catch the ball when it is thrown to him. 4.38 40 time as well.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,432 Times in 4,019 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Random thoughts after Philly Game

great random thoughts, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Tyler Beiler the next Wes Welker? All he does is catch the ball when it is thrown to him. 4.38 40 time as well.
Please don't start this up again. Wasn't Tyler Grisham the next Wes Welker? Being white and small doesn't make you Wes Welker.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Please don't start this up again. Wasn't Tyler Grisham the next Wes Welker? Being white and small doesn't make you Wes Welker.
Actually I said the Beiler thing kind of tongue in cheek. Is there a smile icon for that one I could have added? Beiler impresses me though a lot more then Grisham and could make that roster. Never was a Grisham fan unless he was the Grisham from CSI.

Beiler is white and he is small, but he also runs a 4.38 40.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
vball
Water Boy

Member Number: 18695

I didn't think Kevin Beachum looked good at left tackle. After all the hype/articles on him, I expected a better performance.

At first I didn't know who he was due to the stream i was watching...i was thinking who is that turnstyle #68? Looks like PS material for now.
vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Spence looked OK out there. Good in coverage and diagnosing plays, like the one outlet pass he tackle for little gain.

Sylvester looked like he was running with head cut off. Saw him go left with a run play and the RB cut it back right....but he didnt know where the ball was. Also saw him get put on his back by an OG and shoot some gaps, but the wrong ones. Looked like he was guessing what hole the run was coming.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Sylvester looked like he was running with head cut off....Looked like he was guessing what hole the run was coming.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this. I also recall a simple dumpoff pass on which he was badly beaten by the slightest of moves by the runner, missing an open field tackle. Meanwhile, Cortez Allen was impressive with his open field tackling. There was one play in which DeSean Jackson ran a comeback route and Allen sprinted back to the ball and mirrored Jackson's moves, not letting him get any angle, and then made the tackle.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this. I also recall a simple dumpoff pass on which he was badly beaten by the slightest of moves by the runner, missing an open field tackle. Meanwhile, Cortez Allen was impressive with his open field tackling. There was one play in which DeSean Jackson ran a comeback route and Allen sprinted back to the ball and mirrored Jackson's moves, not letting him get any angle, and then made the tackle.
I remember that dumpoff and thinking to myself ..."Sylvester still playing high and got beat because of it."

Allen did look good. The guy I keep an eye out for is Robert Golden, but only saw a few plays where he was in. Guy is a CB converted to safety and I think a playmaker. Might end up on the PS.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Agreed, I liked what limited snaps I saw where Golden was visible. He reportedly did really well in practice on Saturday as well, so I'll definitely have my eye on him during the rest of the preseason. He looked pretty good on special teams from what I can tell as well. I wouldn't mind too much if he ends up usurping Will Allen for a roster spot if he earns it.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,432 Times in 4,019 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Agreed, I liked what limited snaps I saw where Golden was visible. He reportedly did really well in practice on Saturday as well, so I'll definitely have my eye on him during the rest of the preseason. He looked pretty good on special teams from what I can tell as well. I wouldn't mind too much if he ends up usurping Will Allen for a roster spot if he earns it.

it's highly doubtful that Golden makes the 53-man roster, much more likely that he ends up on the practice squad.