Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
bigtim3645
Water Boy

Member Number: 2679
Default Steelers Run Game Improves

While many will complain that the loss of Jerome Bettis could devastate a Steelers running attack that ranked 5th in the league last season, perhaps this loss is not so great a travesty as previously feared. While Bettis may be gone, Willie Parker who was the starter for only his first full NFL season will return. With one year of starting NFL experience under his belt things are still looking up for this young back. Willie might not be what most call a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back," however one simple argument can be made.

Superbowl wins with a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back": 0
Superbowl wins with a dynamic back: 1

Along with a predicted healthy return by Duce Staley who was brought in during the 2004 campaign to be the starting back, this pair of running backs could be one of the best in the league at season's end. (Staley gained 737 yards in 7 games before injuries in 2004)

However, the veteran leadership and guidance of Jerome will be missed. Willie Parker and Duce Staley both could have benefited from having a future HOF player in their midst, but despite such a loss, I personally expect the running attack to only improve...
bigtim3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Polamalu43
Team Captain

Member Number: 2665
Default Re: Steelers Run Game Improves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim3645
While many will complain that the loss of Jerome Bettis could devastate a Steelers running attack that ranked 5th in the league last season, perhaps this loss is not so great a travesty as previously feared. While Bettis may be gone, Willie Parker who was the starter for only his first full NFL season will return. With one year of starting NFL experience under his belt things are still looking up for this young back. Willie might not be what most call a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back," however one simple argument can be made.

Superbowl wins with a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back": 0
Superbowl wins with a dynamic back: 1

Along with a predicted healthy return by Duce Staley who was brought in during the 2004 campaign to be the starting back, this pair of running backs could be one of the best in the league at season's end. (Staley gained 737 yards in 7 games before injuries in 2004)

However, the veteran leadership and guidance of Jerome will be missed. Willie Parker and Duce Staley both could have benefited from having a future HOF player in their midst, but despite such a loss, I personally expect the running attack to only improve...
U forgot veron, I think this season we are gonna see more of veron, then deuce..

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack lambert
Polamalu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

We've got some solid talent with Duce and Willie, and with Humes in there to compete along with Verron as the 3rd down back and Dan as our fullback, Im not worried. Just everyone stay healthy for once, PLEASE !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
We've got some solid talent with Duce and Willie, and with Humes in there to compete along with Verron as the 3rd down back and Dan as our fullback, Im not worried. Just everyone stay healthy for once, PLEASE !
I'm really interested in seeing what Vernon Hayes can do. I think he's gunna do a lot this season.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I agree, been saying that since last season.... Verron opened my eyes a little wider on more than one occasion.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu43
U forgot veron, I think this season we are gonna see more of veron, then deuce..
Do you believe this because Duce will go down with an injury? If so, then I agree.

If Duce doesn't go down with an injury he's going to have one hell of a year. I'm praying he stays healthy for the Parker/Staley one-two punch in which I feel will be lethal. I'm not nor have I ever been very high on Haynes (who also has a history of injuries). While he's fine for the third down back situation, I would not want to see him in the place of Willie (in case of injury) or even Duce. Overall, I still have concerns with the run game heading into this season. Injuries being my main concern. Plus, I'm not as high on Veron as some others seem to be.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Do you believe this because Duce will go down with an injury? If so, then I agree.

If Duce doesn't go down with an injury he's going to have one hell of a year. I'm praying he stays healthy for the Parker/Staley one-two punch in which I feel will be lethal. I'm not nor have I ever been very high on Haynes (who also has a history of injuries). While he's fine for the third down back situation, I would not want to see him in the place of Willie (in case of injury) or even Duce. Overall, I still have concerns with the run game heading into this season. Injuries being my main concern. Plus, I'm not as high on Veron as some others seem to be.
I agree with you there 83. I think if Duce can stay healthy he should have a pretty huge year. The guy has to be a lillte frustrated internally from all the time on the pine.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

I would have liked to see them cut Staley and sign Duckett.

I lived in the Philly area when he played there and most Eagle fans were happy to see him go after his horrible foot injury. That injury seriously slowed Staley and he really hasn't been the same since.

That said if Parker gets most of the carriers and Duce the short yardage I'll be happy. But don't be surprised to see Staley go down again half way through the season, the guy is just too fragile at this point of his career after the beating he took in a Philly uniform.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

While there is always that chance of injury with Duce, the amount of time off he took since being in Pittsburgh, the fact that's he not going to be our starter and more importantly what he looked like when he was healthy, I think there is a good chance Duce will work out this season and finally earn his paycheck.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget
I would have liked to see them cut Staley and sign Duckett.

I lived in the Philly area when he played there and most Eagle fans were happy to see him go after his horrible foot injury. That injury seriously slowed Staley and he really hasn't been the same since.

That said if Parker gets most of the carriers and Duce the short yardage I'll be happy. But don't be surprised to see Staley go down again half way through the season, the guy is just too fragile at this point of his career after the beating he took in a Philly uniform.
Duce did have a pretty good starting point with us though. He had some pretty good numbers up until the point where he got hurt. Hopefully the injuries are a thing of the past.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote