Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default 2nd and Long........DRAW!

I know it's early and I know they're not game planning, and I know Mike Wallace isn't there yet, but has anyone noticed that on every 2nd and +10 or longer situation that I remember Haley runs a Draw play, usually for a small gain. I've seen this done even on 2nd and +20.

I also think that a real danger exists in a system like this for the dump off pass or the check down to become second nature in the quarterback play. As several times so far I've seen a 3rd and long situation where a 1 yard pass is thrown with no chance for getting a first down. What made Ben so special even as a rookie was he would try to throw for the first down no matter the yardage needed. Fortune favors the brave.

It may only be after the 2nd game but some trends are developing.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,119 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: 2nd and Long........DRAW!

Without Mendenhall, there's an added level of uncertainty at the running back position. Because of that, we're going to see a LOT of our tailbacks this preseason, and sometimes we'll see them in position that wouldn't make much sense for the regular season.

Not much game-planning going on here. I think the first half of the Bills game next week will be interesting, though.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Me thinks Haley is trying to change the culture of the steelers offense...and Ben's head. Our offense for the past few years looked deep way too often.... to the point of actually ignoring much of the field because Ben decided before the ball was snapped he was throwing deep.

how many times did we need 6-10 yards and we tried throwing 20+ yard passes? Arians ignored time of possession and wanted Ben to try hitting HR's on every series. What it produced was an offense that struggled to score with any consistency and an offense that consistently failed in the redzone.

Haley is bringing back a ball control offense.... an offense that is MUCH more efficient and prone to mistakes. It is clear to me that we will be running the ball this year. At the very least we'll be truly balanced. I love it. I suspect we'll struggle early, but by week 10 we'll be playing the offense Haley wants.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts

Get used to it. Chief fans used to harp on the "Sprint Draw" the way that many here complain about the "bubble screen".

Its always something.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,250 Posts
My Mood: Fine

do you mean not prone to mistakes? or more prone to mistakes? I guess practice will eliminate how often this occurs lol

its def preseason and def too early to tell, but I agree with you that the ideology has changed in that we want to hold onto the ball as long as possible and getting 5 to 10 yards is, in fact, just fine instead of going downfield as often.

The idea of Ben allowing players to make the plays is being mixed in in hopes of prolonging his health. He will always be Ben though, and I believe Haley will give him the room to still be himself.

That said, I also agree with the idea that we are playing vanilla, and why not still try to go deep with a weapon like Wallace when he returns. The threat of it alone will allow us to witness an even a wider variety of routes from their ammunition

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

As for this play and many others, all I can say is I hope the offense looks a lot different in the regular season.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,929 Times in 779 Posts

Haley himself has said they won't even open up game-planning within their offense until probably the 3rd week of the pre-season. He said they tried a portion of the playbook in week 1 and tried another portion in week 2. They are testing themselves to see what they could be good at and what they could be bad at. The offense is NOWHERE NEAR to being an open-book.

I like what I see in some cases, especially the o-line drive blocking in the run game. They look fierce in that category but we are obviously holding off intermediate routes in the passing game until Wallace could get back to speed.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I don't think you can read anything out of what the Steelers have shown us the last two weeks.

They are trying out new packages and experimenting. Come day 1-- you can bet that Ben is going to take plenty of shots down the field. Until then, they are going to tst out a few things that you can only try in game speed, not against your own practice squad.

What we do need to be concerned about is the poor play I have seen at OT the last two games. Gilbert straight up STUNK last night. Adams looked slow and got beat around the edge on almost every play I watched.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,250 Posts
My Mood: Fine

it seems that Ben is more vocal than ever on the sidelines. I feel he is at a point where he truly is the commander. Ben is not going to put up with a shoddy O-line - I really believe he'll get in their face if he is getting unnecessary pressure. EDIT: I'll add whereas before he seemed to give them too much credit in the face of abysmal performances. You have to pat your guys on the back - every good QB does that, but I think you'll see some more reactions to crappy performances by Ben

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Preseason, preseason, preseason!!!!! Hopefully Haley is keeping his game plan close to the vest. If these were regular season games I for one would already have an issue with the play calling. Too many first and second down run plays, some having some success but not enough to keep us out of obvious third down passing plays. I hope we see a more diverse game plan come regular season. Honestly I do not see us running the ball any better than last year at this time, but it is EARLY and it is still PRESEASON.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote