Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Ramon Foster at RT

As much as I shuddered at the thought, it looked like he played well. Hell, he played RT better than he played LG vs the eagles, which was surprising to me. Did he mess up on any plays? Cause I was paying more attention to the right side of the line and it seemed to have held up just fine.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Ramon Foster at RT

I haven't had an opportunity to review the game yet, but all reports seem to be positive. Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot brought up an interesting point today that the Steelers could consider carrying only 8 offensive linemen this year with Foster, Legursky, and Adams (or Starks) being the backups. I'm honestly not sure if they've ever dressed all 9 on gameday when at least one wasn't dealing with an injury that might force him to come out of the game, so I would have to say it's reasonable. 8 linemen would allow them to carry 5 RBs, a FB, 3 TEs, and 5 WRs. With the poor play of Beachum and Essex so far, right now I'd have to say Ryan Lee is the 9th best lineman at the moment, with Chris Scott being number 10.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,991 Times in 4,662 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Could Marcus Gilbert be the Steelers LT?

Aug. 20, 2012
by SteelBlitz

The Steelers are still looking for their starting left tackle for the 2012 season. They have a couple of options in Mike Adams, who hasnít looked good so far through two pre-season games, Max Starks, who is still not playing, but is off the PUP list recovering from an ACL injury, and Marcus Gilbert? Gilbert was the 2011 right tackle and is playing some left tackle with the first team due to the injuries on the offensive line. Gilbert has made it known that he would like to be the left tackle, but the Steelers seem ready to keep him at right tackle.

Gilbert got the start at left tackle for the Steelers second pre-season game against the Colts. Outside of one play where he allowed pressure on Ben Roehtlisberger, Gilbert played well. On the other side of the line Ramon Foster started at right tackle. Foster also played well and the starting offensive line was able to open up some nice running lanes early for Jonathan Dwyer, who started for Issac Redman.

The Steelers seem to be waiting for Starks to return so that he can take the left tackle job and leave Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, but what happens if Starks isnít ready to go? Remember, Starks is less than eight months removed from an ACL tear and is working to play the hardest position on the offensive line. If Starks is unable to go it seems unlikely the Steelers are ready to give the starting job to Mike Adams. Gilbert may be the answer to that question.

In the Steelers week one match-up with the Broncos they will be going up against the Von Miller and Elvis Dummerville, if he isnít suspended for his off-the-field issues. It seems unlikely they will let Adams to go up against these top-tier pass rushers after being beat both back-ups against the Eagles and Colts.

Gilbert should continue to practice with the first team offensive line at left tackle until Starks is ready to return. If he plays well during the final two preseason games (assuming he plays at left tackle) and plays well in practice he may have a chance to take the left tackle job.

The only issue is who takes his spot at right tackle if Gilbert moves to the left side? Well, Ramon Foster played well last night. Starks also started his career on the right side and could replace Foster there when ready. The Steelers could also keep the Gilbert-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Foster line until Starks is ready and then return Gilbert to the right side.

For a position that had a lot of fans optimistic heading into training camp, the Steelers offensive line has become a question mark once again. Luckily for the Steelers it seems the inside positions are set and if Starks returns healthy soon they may just be able to solidify one of the best offensive lines Pittsburgh has seen in several years.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...rs_lt/11502247
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I haven't had an opportunity to review the game yet, but all reports seem to be positive. Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot brought up an interesting point today that the Steelers could consider carrying only 8 offensive linemen this year with Foster, Legursky, and Adams (or Starks) being the backups. I'm honestly not sure if they've ever dressed all 9 on gameday when at least one wasn't dealing with an injury that might force him to come out of the game, so I would have to say it's reasonable. 8 linemen would allow them to carry 5 RBs, a FB, 3 TEs, and 5 WRs. With the poor play of Beachum and Essex so far, right now I'd have to say Ryan Lee is the 9th best lineman at the moment, with Chris Scott being number 10.
Has Crhis Scott really been that bad?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,991 Times in 4,662 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
yes, he's been as bad as your spelling...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
i think essex stays. with 5rb's, 5 wrs, 2te's with will johnson being the swing te/fb. w. johnson and rainey definitely give the steelers flexibility to go in any direction they want.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlitz
In the Steelers week one match-up with the Broncos they will be going up against the Von Miller and Elvis Dummerville, if he isn’t suspended for his off-the-field issues.
"Elvis Dummerville," LOL. Love it.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,785 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
yes, he's been as bad as your spelling...

Ricardo may, or may not, be intoximacated.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think essex stays. with 5rb's, 5 wrs, 2te's with will johnson being the swing te/fb. w. johnson and rainey definitely give the steelers flexibility to go in any direction they want.
Definitely agree on Essex, I don't see us going light on O line depth. The draft made it pretty clear that the coaches/FO realize how big of a problem the O line has been. One of the problems with the O line is depth, so they have to see that too. No way we only keep 3 backups. Essex will stay for sure and that's good enough as long as we keep a few more capable reserves (or potentially capable reserves) on the practice squad. The injuries absolutely killed us last year, but this year we have enough O line depth to sustain a guy missing a few games here and there. I also agree we will keep 5 WR. If the 5 RB's include Mendy I agree also. From what some of the commentators were talking about Sunday night though, I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin finds a spot to keep David Paulson. According to some of the cast members, Tomlin was really talking up Paulson and seemed excited about him. If not for the injuries at RB I think we would see Dwyer go and Paulson kept, but I guess we will see. What I would like to see is us keep 4 backup O lineman, Adrian Robinson, and possibly Brandon Johnson (didn't notice him last game, did he play?).

As for Gilbert being our LT, he hasn't looked like a starter at all at RT. I know it's just preseason but I'm a bit nervous about him at RT. I really didn't think so at first, but I now think the youth on the O line may be a problem. Pouncey and Colon are solid and won't be fooled by defensive schemes. I also think DeCastro may struggle a bit at first when things go full speed week 1 against a great blitzing team, but it will be a great learning experience and by the time we play the Ravens he will likely be ready for whatever old man Ray dials up. But Tackle doesn't look good so far and when the goal is to keep Ben upright, then that's a problem. IF Starks is back in time he will be playing without any real practice since January. Adams seems to be healthy enough to play now so his health by week 1 will likely not be an issue, but he has not looked good. I really haven't seen ANYTHING that makes me think he's ready for a full speed game in Denver against Von Miller and Elvis Dummerville. On that note, what I have seen from Gilbert does have me just a bit worried about him facing that defense also. He looks like he's starting from square 1 again which is not good, but hopefully he will return to form and begin to further develop. I have been thinking all along that the O line won't have any issues, I had a lot of faith in DeCastro and Adams and I thought Gilbert did well last year and would improve on it. Although DeCastro seems to be picking it up well, Adams is not. I can see that all being an issue against some great defenses, but overall I still think this O line will be better then last years by Week 1, and better then anything we've had in a while by Week 5 or 6.

Last edited by tanda10506; 08-21-2012 at 03:11 AM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Believe it or not, I actually meant that as a compliment. I haven't re-watched the Colts game yet, but here's how I would rank the linemen thus far, positional value be damned (and also obviously making an assumption on Starks):

1. Maurkice Pouncey
2. David DeCastro
3. Willie Colon
4. Marcus GIlbert
5. Max Starks
6. Ramon Foster
7. Doug Legursky
8. Mike Adams
9. Ryan Lee
10. Chris Scott
11. Trai Essex
12. John Malecki
13. Kelvin Beachum
14. Kyle Jolly

Not sure if I'm missing anybody else...Lee has proven himself against the level of competition thrown at him and needs to be put up against better players. Scott has pretty consistently been the best lineman in his group behind Lee. I liked what I saw out of him in the Eagles game. Like I said, I still need to review the Colts game (which I will do today), which can easily change things.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote