Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,888 Times in 2,123 Posts
Default Stand out players vs Colts (and goats)

Im mainly thinking of guys who will probably be 40-60 on the roster (practice squad). All in all, i pretty much liked what I saw from those who have a position locked down. Teams will not wanna be hit by our defense for 4 quarters. ATTRITION.

Baron Batch. Rarely seems to have a large hole to run through but always seems to get positive yardage and never goes down on the first hit. His downfield block on Browns long td rec will have the entire room oooohing and ahhhing when watching the film.

Spence. he is making typical rookie mistakes but seems to know the defense well. he certainly doesnt look like a rookie. he got caught isolated on reggie wayne (when he thought he had help over the top) and still almost made the play.

Morty Ivy. Looked huge, quick, and instinctive on his blocked punt.

Will Johnson. Noticed him make kick ass block, great hustle on punt coverage being the first down field, and a nice run.

David Gilreath. Have no clue about this guy but he is doing what many expected from Toney Clemons.

Chris Rainey. Got knocked the f--- out yet still came back strong. Looks like his pride was hurt coughing up that ball so easilly more than anything else.

If i could be a fringe or back up player at any position for any team in the NFL I would either want to be back up QB in green bay or a DL in pittsburgh. Youre gonna have great coaching and a good shot of making a 10 year career out of it.

Is anyone missing Suisham or Kapinos yet?

GOATS- Curtis Brown. makes william gay look like a great open field tackler. Our cb's need to know how to tackle.

Mike Adams. looks very slow.

Kelvin Beachum. I think he is a bit unfairly critisized but he is being given every chance to either sink or swim. i cant think of another 300 lb tackle (or guard even) in the nfl. he needs some time in the weightroom.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,623 Times in 1,985 Posts
Default Re: Stand out players vs Colts (and goats)

I thought ramon foster did rather well at RT. I was wondering WTF the coaching staff was thinking by making him start at RT, they once again proved they know their team better than I do lol. Baron Batch is a tough runner and I'd like to see him catch the ball in space. I'm not really sold on dwyer and want to see what batch can do with the starting team. Decastro looks good at guard, so does colon.

Adams isn't ready for primetime, he'll be ready next year i'm sure. talent is there, just a tough position for a rookie to come in and start. Curtis brown is probably the most disappointing player this offseason, I had high hopes for him. Timmons also doesn't look too impressive.

Is it me or does Ike have a tendency to make mental mistakes in coverage and get beaten big time occasionally? On the cortez allen INT play, if the WR doesn't bobble that ball, that is a TD all the way, and that was ike's man, left WIDE open.

Steelers run D doesn't look very good, even the 1st team. Pass rush also doesn't look very strong, but this could be partially because lebeau is calling a vanilla defense and not looking to show his hand before the reg. season starts (what I'm hoping is the case)

Drew Butler seemed to do pretty well from what I could tell. Wonder if the offense was going 3 and out by design to give our punter more looks lol

Last edited by Fire Arians; 08-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

Jonathan Dwyer! He looks like he's ready to start Week One.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I didn't really notice Curtis Brown much at all. I'll have to see how he played when I get a chance to watch it again.

David Gilreath was obviously the big standout in the game. I think it's safe to say that he's the 5th receiver right now.

Jerrod Johnson played well. Leading a game winning drive, leaving 20 seconds and not timeouts, will get your brownie points.

Jason Ford played well, even showing elusiveness for his size, despite the numbers game at RB.

Antonio Brown obviously had a good game, although I believe he dropped a 3rd down pass that was low.

Jonathan Dwyer always seems to get a hole to run through. Even without that though, he had a good game.

Adrian Robinson continues to suggest that he needs to play against better competition. He's learning his position.

I think Ziggy Hood played pretty well from what I could tell.

Ike Taylor's pick six can't be denied.

Robert Golden seemed to do pretty well on both defense and special teams.

Danny Hrapmann. 4 for 4. Game winner.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,888 Times in 2,123 Posts

with ike and dwyer, i feel real confident if mendenhall isnt ready to come back. Keep em healthy, and I love the entire group as much as our DL. (ziggy hood stood out to me as well as heyward. Both look big and fast. alameda actually looked smaller and quicker.

taylor and polamalu (and even all our defense) are prone to "guess wrong" every once and a while. theyre on point more often than not, so im not too worried about singular mistakes here or there.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,983 Times in 3,035 Posts

Initial thoughts from the Colts game

posted by Dale Lolley
MONDAY, AUGUST 20, 2012

The first-team offense and defense both looked pretty good against the Colts in their first extensive action.

Ben Roethlisberger threw a bad pick and Chris Rainey fumbled - he might be too small for the beating he'll take in the NFL - but, overall, it wasn't a bad showing.

The Steelers came into this game trying to work on their running game a little bit - they wanted to give Willie Colon an opportunity to pull - and were effective doing that.

The defense gave up a drive, but it also put seven points on the board. And remember, they weren't throwing a lot of different stuff at the Colts defensively, so even that one drive might have been avoided in the regular season with an exotic blitz or two.

@ It was a preseason game, so the main thing was to get out of it unscathed, which the Steelers did.

@ Rookie punter Drew Butler didn't have the kind of game he did against Philadelphia, but he was solid, averaging 44.8 yards per attempt.

@ How bout the hands on Ike Taylor?

I've covered Ike since his start here and don't remember him coming out of a break too many times and actually catching the ball.

@ Guys who helped themselves:

David Gilreath led the team with four receptions for 78 yards working against a team that had him on its practice squad in 2011. (Point of interest, Gilreath is sharing a locker with some guy who wears No. 17. Didn't see that player here though).

Jerrod Johnson looked much more comfortable at QB, completing 4 of 5 passes for 65 yards and scrambling three times for 11 more yards. Was poised during the game-winning field goal drive.

Justin Peelle caught one pass for 21 yards and isn't Leonard Pope.

Jonathan Dwyer rushed eight times for 43 yards, including a 23 yarder. Didn't get hurt.

Guys who didn't help themselves:

Kelvin Beachum had two more penalties. I know he's wearing 68, but that doesn't mean he has to play like Chris Kemoeatu as well.

Chris Rainey lost a fumble. That was the knock against him at Florida - too small to play in the NFL - and losing fumbles isn't going to help. He's not in danger of being cut, but he's not helping his cause to be a bigger part of the offense.

Marquis Maze averaged just 1.5 yards on a pair of punt returns. He really needed to do something special and failed to do so.

Leonard Pope completely whiffed on his block on Antonio Brown's touchdown catch and run. Don't know what he brings to the table other than being familiar with Todd Haley's offense.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I get the Pope whiff on the touchdown, but I don't get Lolly's seeming disdain for Pope, because this isn't the first comment I've seen from him. I didn't key on Pope very often in this game, but in the replays of the first game, I thought Pope blocked very well in comparison to the criticism of his blocking abilities that I've been hearing since the Steelers signed him. I'm looking forward to watching this game again with him in mind.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

The writer seems to hate Rainey as well. One fumble isn't a big deal.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
The writer seems to hate Rainey as well. One fumble isn't a big deal.
This
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I thought Curtis Brown looks a little lost out there. The tackling thus far is a little suspect, I'm not used to seeing Ike whiff so many times.
This is pre-season and I'm sure once we start cutting guys the play will improve as thre starters and 2's will get more reps in practice.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote