Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: MJD

That little bowling ball has pissed us off for so many years, giving us fits!!! Hmmm???
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Trade him for Wallace straight up!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Jones Drew is an awesome RB, and took me far in fantasy football last year, but it's a pipe dream to think of him on our team. Plus he's been getting a lot of touches the last few years, he's bound to wear down sooner than later.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It will never happen because MJD is likely asking for more then Wallace. Also, it just doesn't "seem" like a Steeler move. That said, we've talked about this lately and I would love it if was possible. It would be great to have him, BIG improvement to the running game and he picks up the blitz well. Not to mention the fact that opposing teams would have to put 8 guys in the box (with MJD running and Colon/Pouncey/DD pulling there would be no other way to stop him) and that would allow Ben and all our receiving weapons to cut them up. It's not going to happen though, and even though I think it would be a good trade for us, I'm also very happy with Wallace and our receiving corps, and I'm pretty confident in Redman IF his injury doesn't linger.

As for the comments about taking him over Mendy, it seems like a no brainer, but Mendy has not had a chance to actually show what he can do due to a poor O line and an even worse O Coordinator. Based on that you can easily make the argument that MJD is a lot better as he has not had ANY help and he was still the best in the league, while Mendy at least had the passing game to take some light off of him and all he did was dance behind the line. BUT, I've re-watched every game from the last 3 years and IMO Mendy has the potential to be a top back (Ray Rice like). He runs hard, has home run capability, and seems to have great all around talent, he just can't do it all on his own. I would still take MJD, and I still stand by what I said last season when I said that Redman was a better back FOR US behind last years O line, but we haven't seen the best of Mendy yet.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

For the money I'd have to go with Mendy. He has been running plays designed to fail, with no lead blocker or worse than no blocker, (Scarey Davis, and David Whiff Johnson). Jones-Drew sure has gashed us more than his share though, and he is a great runner. I have to agree that Mendenhall hasn't had the chance to show us what he has yet, and I hope he heals enough to do so. Having him and Redmen healthy and utilized will be great, especially if Ben can get with the disciplined approach, and figure out when the right time to extend the plays is. We could have a scary good offense, rather than just the scary one we have had.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Fun to talk about, tantalizing to imagine, but it will never happen. We will give one of our own, Wallace, a long term deal way before we will deal for a player whose been causing a headache for his current team. MJD, though a great back (that long return he had against us in the 07 WC game sticks out in my mind), at 27 figures to be heading for a wall pretty soon. Too late in the game and too expensive in both trade value and dollars to entertain this idea in anything more than a passing fashion.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,804 Times in 1,718 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Would absolutely love to see MJD in a Steelers uniform. Will it happen? Probably not. The Rooney's are all about building through the draft, and are not well known for making big free agent acquisitions. I'd be lying though if I haven't imagined MJD in a Steelers jersey since all of this trade talk has started. How awesome would it be to watch him block Ray Ray onto his ass just like he did Merriman a few years back?
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Gotta agree with you guys about Mendy. Although I can't stand that hesitation crap, it sure was bad luck to be the feature back without an NFL-caliber line and a vacancy at OC. "Plays designed to fail," LOL, so true!!

And now we make a commitment to fix the problem and BOOM, he's injured. Tough break for him.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote