Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Now for the Veterans

Now the veterans

With all their rookie contracts done, the Steelers can concentrate on two veteran starters who they would like to sign to extensions. Cornerback Ike Taylor enters the fourth and final year of his deal and would become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Halfback Willie Parker enters the third and final year of his contract and would become a restricted free agent.

"Those are still ongoing," said Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations. "Everybody's here and we'll see if anything continues to develop. Our policy is to talk up until the first regular-season game. We're always open to any negotiation up to that point."

Taylor said he never thought of holding out, something receiver Hines Ward did in the first two weeks last summer. Players can be fined as much as $14,000 a day under the new CBA if they have a contract and do not report.

"I'm going to let the chips fall," Taylor said. "I'm just going to play football. I'm glad to be back; let's get ready for the 2006 season." - PPG
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Now for the Veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Now the veterans

With all their rookie contracts done, the Steelers can concentrate on two veteran starters who they would like to sign to extensions. Cornerback Ike Taylor enters the fourth and final year of his deal and would become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Halfback Willie Parker enters the third and final year of his contract and would become a restricted free agent.

"Those are still ongoing," said Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations. "Everybody's here and we'll see if anything continues to develop. Our policy is to talk up until the first regular-season game. We're always open to any negotiation up to that point."

Taylor said he never thought of holding out, something receiver Hines Ward did in the first two weeks last summer. Players can be fined as much as $14,000 a day under the new CBA if they have a contract and do not report.

"I'm going to let the chips fall," Taylor said. "I'm just going to play football. I'm glad to be back; let's get ready for the 2006 season." - PPG
Taylor has got to be a priority...he is the first cornerback I have gotten excited about since Woodson!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well Ike had a very good year last year no doubt. I would like to see him resigned. But I would like to point out a few things. I hope Ike holds onto some of those INT's this year. Last year I think Ike could have had 10 INT's but he dropped so many. Another thing to consider is to make sure we have enough room to lock up Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger down the road.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

My question..........

Hypothetically if we sign both Ike and Willie to extensions this year and next year we extend both Ben and Troy, who are the odd men out? That's my main concern.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 07-29-2006 at 10:00 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
My question..........

Hypothetically if we sign both Ike and Willie to extensions this year and next year we extend both Ben and Troy, who are the odd men out? That's my main concern.
Well Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider and Max Starks could be some of those odd men out. I think all their contracts are coming up.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Well Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider and Max Starks could be some of those odd men out. I think all their contracts are coming up.

..and we all know how the Steelers do business. They will cut the fullback and find someone to play cheaper...and then start letting older vets go to other teams. WHO will be gone will be obvious by mid-season. If you see a younger player getting more reps...Goodbye Vet!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

Isnt Alan Faneca close to retiring? Same with Hartings? We might save a little on there retirement. Not that I want him going anywhere...but the extra money might come in handy when trying to resign Ben and Troy.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
..and we all know how the Steelers do business. They will cut the fullback and find someone to play cheaper...and then start letting older vets go to other teams. WHO will be gone will be obvious by mid-season. If you see a younger player getting more reps...Goodbye Vet!
I know. Just look at all the FB's that have come and gone the last 10+ years. I think the list is John L. Williams, Tim Lester, Jon Witman and Dan Kreider will be the next to go. The same with the LB's. So Joey Porter's days might be numbered as a Steeler as well.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siss
Isnt Alan Faneca close to retiring? Same with Hartings? We might save a little on there retirement. Not that I want him going anywhere...but the extra money might come in handy when trying to resign Ben and Troy.
Hartings is closer to retirment then Faneca. But Alan will be 30 this season.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I would hate to see us lose Starks.