Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,269 Times in 3,964 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Jason Worilds Faces Make-or-break Season Of Sorts

Jason Worilds Faces Make-or-break Season Of Sorts

Thursday, May 31st, 2012
By Cian Fahey

Earlier this off-season, there was some talk on this site about Jason Worilds possibly moving from outside linebacker into the middle of the field. Nothing appears to have developed further on that end, although it is still ridiculously early to even contemplate what the Steelers will do for the beginning of this football year.

I was never on board with Worilds as an inside backer but I do believe the pressure should be cranked up on the youngster this year. The former Virginia Tech defensive end is entering his third season with the Steelers. He has notched five sacks and seven starts so far.

With James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley ahead of him, Worilds doesn't get many opportunities to prove his value on the field, but injuries did give us an insight into his development last year. Impressing a crowd that is used to the standards set by Woodley and Harrison is not easy and Worilds didn't do himself that many favors last year.

Worilds had three sacks for the season. Each sack came in a game that the Steelers comfortably won against the Kansas City Chiefs and Cleveland Browns. Two of his sacks were coverage sacks while the other was a hail mary play when Colt McCoy's happy feet caused the sack as much as Worilds' pass rushing ability did.

Those instances do speak to his motor and determination to make plays on the field, but one must wonder why he didn't make a greater impact for the Steelers. That is not to say that he was a bad player, Worilds was good against the run and adequate when asked to drop into coverage.

He fit in well with the defense on the whole.

However, he was drafted in the second round because of his ability to impact football games. Worilds came out of college with 15 career sacks and 34 tackles for loss. On the field at the professional level however, Worilds was often swallowed up by offensive tackles.

It is obvious that he needs to develop better pass rushing skills and possibly add some bulk to properly compete in the trenches. Those are aspects of the game that can be learned from the Steelers' coaching staff.

Personally, I'm not too worried about Worilds ability to develop as a pass rusher. He showed during last season that he has worked enough to fit comfortably into the Steelers' scheme. That is something that a guy like Bruce Davis never did in the past before he was released.

What does worry me about Worilds is his always lengthening injury list.

Last year he missed time for the Steelers before getting into the starting lineup, while he also entered camp this year with a possible broken thumb. Nothing is guaranteed for Worilds, he has to be healthy to prove himself as Harrison's successor.

This year is going to be key for him. In an ideal world, Worilds will force his way onto the field and make an impact as a situational pass rusher in specific packages while Harrison continues to play to an all-pro level.

Worilds needs to show that he can play that kind of Aldon Smith/Antwan Barnes role. He doesn't need to dominate to the same degree that those guys do but he does have to show more flashes. It would be difficult for the Steelers to go back to a Clark Haggans after playing with Harrison and Woodley for so long.

If Worilds is more of a Haggans than Woodley or Harrison, then the Steelers may be thinking linebacker early again in the draft next year.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...happy/10911539
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Jason Worilds Faces Make-or-break Season Of Sorts

Not everybody is going to be all pro...We could do alot worse than Haggans......The question is can he even be as good as Haggans/
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree. Is he even as good as Haggans?? So far he has not shown much and he is always injured. Hard to do much when practice time gets eaten up by All Pro's though.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

beats me but this guy seems like he's always injured. I don't really have high hopes for him, though he has shown a few flashes that he could be a disruptive player.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,512 Times in 858 Posts

From what I've seen, if he can get his pass rush together, it would be awesome. He's actually just a bit better than Woodley on everything else.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,090 Times in 2,618 Posts

It would be difficult for the Steelers to go back to a Clark Haggans after playing with Harrison and Woodley for so long.

this is definitely a great point, but i'm willing to accept it may just take some players a bit longer to come around than others.

plus opportunity presented itself to woodley sooner than it did to someone like timmons. i think alot of steelerfans would be much happier if woodley were our 1st round pick from that year and timmons were our second. not that it coulda actually played out that way, but because it would be easier for them to reconcile with.

sanders is kinda in the same boat.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,269 Times in 3,964 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
From what I've seen, if he can get his pass rush together, it would be awesome. He's actually just a bit better than Woodley on everything else.
I don't think Worilds is better than Woodley in anything and certainly not against the run.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
What?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
not even close. he isnt even close to Woodley. Woodley is a Pro Bowl caliber OLB and Worilds is a backup that may be out of work if he dosnt step it up this season
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,485 Times in 775 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:

How did you arrive at your conclusion?
Where's your proof? What have you seen that none of us have?
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote