Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Steelers’ receivers itching to stretch field

news and notes

Through two preseason games, the Steelers offense under new offensive coordinator Todd Haley hasn’t tried to stretch the field much.

But according to receiver Emmanuel Sanders, that has nothing to do with holdout Mike Wallace yet to report to camp or the notion that the current group of receivers doesn’t have the skill set to get deep.

“At the end of the day, it is about the play calling. We haven’t had an opportunity yet. We haven’t even played until halftime yet. We all have the speed and capabilities to get behind every cornerback and every safety. It is all what Todd wants.”

• With the uncertainly of running back Rashard Mendenhall’s return along with the state of Isaac Redman’s sore hip, the Steelers might have to take a running-back-by-committee approach for the first time under Mike Tomlin. Redman, expected to be the featured back until Mendenhall returns, is fine with that. “(If) by keep switching in and out and have a running back by committee (will) help this team win, then that’s what we have to do,” Redman said.

• Fullback Will Johnson has impressed coaches since David Johnson went out with a season-ending knee injury, but not to the point of giving the first-year player out of West Virginia any reps at tight end. David Johnson would move from fullback to tight end in different sets. “We haven’t gotten into any of that yet, but I am sure if they ask me and I get some coaching, that will come as well,” Will Johnson said.

• Tomlin said RB Jason Ford (hamstring), LB James Harrison (knee), Mendenhall (knee) and LB Stevenson Sylvester (knee) will not make the trip to Buffalo. NT Casey Hampton (knee/elbow) will travel with the team but is unlikely to play.

• Tomlin said the first team will play at least the first half against the Bills and quarterback Jerrod Johnson will not play

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2459359-85/johnson-knee-steelers-yet-field-haven-mendenhall-receivers-redman-running

------------------

I bet Ben is itching to throw deep too
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Steelers’ receivers itching to stretch field

I think Haley actually isn't really showing much of his offense. Some because of the change over to his offense but also to not tip his hat too much!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,736 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I think Haley actually isn't really showing much of his offense. Some because of the change over to his offense but also to not tip his hat too much!
i agree, i'm not sold that we're gonna run the ball as much as we have this preseason. haley's just doing it to establish some sort of comfort with the running game.

i mean seriously, he had a huge man-crush on heath miller and doesn't even target him once in a preseason game? I have a strong suspicion that he's just not showing his hand, and I don't mind that.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,059 Posts

It was said earlier that the Steelers were not going to open the playbook all at once. Its happening in stages and the hope is to have most of it by opening day.

Reality is that I dont think Haley will have any more than 80% of his playbook installed by opening day. Might be week 6 before he has it all at a point its comfortable to the players. Brown and Sanders can get deep if needed, but none has Wallace speed as we know.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
It was said earlier that the Steelers were not going to open the playbook all at once. Its happening in stages and the hope is to have most of it by opening day.

Reality is that I dont think Haley will have any more than 80% of his playbook installed by opening day. Might be week 6 before he has it all at a point its comfortable to the players. Brown and Sanders can get deep if needed, but none has Wallace speed as we know.
I hope that enough, because it's not clear who can be counted on for the defense with some of the injuries. The offense will have to make up the difference with scoring.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,944 Times in 1,842 Posts

Didn't ya hear, he's already back in town.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I've never understood the logic of "not tipping your hat".

Supposedly there all of these top secret plays and formations that need to be protected from the opponents seeing them. Well then at what point in the regular season do you show them? Game 1? Game 2? Are they such that once exposed they are no longer effective? If that's the case then they don't seem to to me to be all that valuable to warrant such utmost secrecy.

Seems to me not tipping your hat might benefit your team as far as game 1 of the regular season is concerned. But beyond that, I dunno. What's wrong with my thinking on this?
BowCatShot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,098 Times in 3,458 Posts

its the big uglies turn to have some fun-

Quote:
Steelers' O-line loving the downhill life ... Read more:

No one, maybe not even running backs, appreciate the running game more than offensive linemen. They'd always rather block aggressively. This is what guard Ramon Foster told me about the Steelers' renewed emphasis: "I absolutely love it. It feels like we're out there just pushing, hitting our way down the field, softening 'em up. We've still got our other weapons, but I think this makes them even more dangerous now."
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
I've never understood the logic of "not tipping your hat".

Supposedly there all of these top secret plays and formations that need to be protected from the opponents seeing them. Well then at what point in the regular season do you show them? Game 1? Game 2? Are they such that once exposed they are no longer effective? If that's the case then they don't seem to to me to be all that valuable to warrant such utmost secrecy.

Seems to me not tipping your hat might benefit your team as far as game 1 of the regular season is concerned. But beyond that, I dunno. What's wrong with my thinking on this?
Perhaps in this case it has to do with the quality of the first opponent. If the Steelers were playing the Browns on week 1 then maybe there wouldn't be so much secrecy. Against the Broncos though, heading into a hostile environment with Peyton Manning playing his first game in over a year and a half, the Steelers may need to catch them off guard with a few tricks up their sleeve. Maybe they want the Broncos to think the offense is going to go three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust, and then pass pass pass come game time.

But yeah, beyond week 1 "not tipping your hand" really makes no difference.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

But yeah, beyond week 1 "not tipping your hand" really makes no difference.

I disagree strongly.

Look at our schedule. We have two games against Baltimore down the stretch that figure to be pivotal games by that point in the season. We don't want all of our cards out on the table by week 3-- we don't play the Ravens until week 11. We also have the Giants and a couple of tough Cincinnati matchups later on in the season too.

I would use as little of the playbook as needed to win each week. Let each offense that our opponents get to see each week be something new the league hasn't seen us do yet.

We want to be hitting our peak around week 13, not blowing our load too early and gassed out by midseason. Save some surrprises for the postseason as well.

I am loving the aggressive playcalling and scheming that Haley is already up to. Teams are going to expect us to come out running on every down in week 1, and Haley is probably going to have Ben light it up with stuff no other teams have seen yet this preseason.

I love it.