Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24248
Default If you could call the shots

When a roster has 53 professional football players on it, i'd be a guy to switch it up more than the majority of coaches currently do.

For instance, if i was calling the shots in Pittsburgh Mendenhall, Redman, and Dwyer would be looking at about 33% of the handoffs a piece until more assesment could take place as the season progresses. Look, I like Illinois, I've lived there for a bit, and I like what Mendenhall did in college. But he just hasn't proved that he is the guy to carry the load back there. Dwyer and Redman both do a lot of great things and i'd like to see them used more often especially as Mendenhall still isn't 100% ready.

The guys good, could potentially break out, but i see Redman and Dwyer have a spark too and i don't think that should, or will, go unnoticed. Tomlin knows what hes doing. I think they're going to get a fair amount of carries this year.
Jpeezyiseternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236
Default Re: If you could call the shots

If I could call the shots I think I'd bring back Bill Cowher to coach the Steelers. There, I said it and I'm glad. Since Tomlin has taken over the Steelers have become more and more soft. A little at a time to be sure but the trend is there. When Bill was in control we never had such a bunch of pansies for and OL. And our defense was something to be feared. Not now, though.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,038 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
If I could call the shots I think I'd bring back Bill Cowher to coach the Steelers. There, I said it and I'm glad. Since Tomlin has taken over the Steelers have become more and more soft. A little at a time to be sure but the trend is there. When Bill was in control we never had such a bunch of pansies for and OL. And our defense was something to be feared. Not now, though.
You could reincarnate Vince Lombardi and have him coach this team and still be soft. Its called Roger Shitdell is the commissioner and has poisened football more and more every year he is commissioner.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
Ummmmm, our defense ranked #1 in 3 out of 4 categories, and Mike Tomlin was just rated in the top 3 best coaches in the nfl next to bill belicheck and harbough

So yeah....whatchutalkinboutwillis???
Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Well, the Ravens don't look softer. Just the contrary they are tougher looking, and they're under Goddell.

I know others will rate the Steelers differently than I do. They're getting paid to do so and who knows what agenda they have. I'm just giving my honest opinion based on what I'm seeing.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

How many carries do you all give the Dwyer / Redman duo once Mendenhall is healthy?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Revisionist history.. Cowher was a great coach don't get me wrong, but his offenses weren't that great to me. Under Tomlin I think we have continued the defensive dominance while adding explosiveness on offense that I just haven't seen on this team in my lifetime.

You aren't going to sack the QB every play and you aren't going to defend every pass. Our defensive rankings show that regardless of the "softness" you see, find me a better defense. The Ravens get gashed to death like anyone else against good AND not so good teams. I think their defense is almost as overrated as the Packers. You say Ray Lewis and you talk about dominance. Truthfully, that dude has looked pedestrian for the last couple of years. He has even been a liability at times. Especially in pass coverage.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer

I'm serious though. I like to think that Mendenhall is going to pan out, but since I grew up watching Jerome Bettis beast through defenses and then have Willie Parker have some stand-out years, i'm just not sure he is a long-term go-to-guy. Like I said, I'd keep all 3 involved until an all-star is found
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

I think Cowher was a good coach for his time. Remember, back then offenses didn't "open it up" as much as they did now. It was a run-first league and it was easier to sit on a lead. At times though, you could say he played not to lose. Ultimately he got what he deserved, a Super Bowl ring.

If Cowher were to return to coach the Steelers today, I don't think he'd be as conservative as he was today. Ben is a top-six QB and he understands that right now the offense's strength is the explosive WRs.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote