Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Ben Roethlisberger, business as usual

With 15 days to go until his team plays a meaningful game, Ben Roethlisberger already was in regular-season mode.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback sunk a knife into the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night with a two-minute drill for the (preseason) ages.

Starting on Pittsburgh's 2-yard line with just 1:46 remaining in the first half, Big Ben marched the Steelers on an 11-play, 98-yard drive in 1:33, capped by a 6-yard touchdown strike to Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger was 7-for-8 passing for 92 yards on a frantic run in which Bills coach Chan Gailey seemed to age seven years.

Roethlisberger's touchdown toss gave Pittsburgh a seven-point lead at halftime, and they eventually won 38-7.

"Well, I called the plays, and I can see what's going on defense," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "Guys made great plays. We had a running back make a catch on the sideline like a receiver. We utilized the middle of the field, guys got out of bounds and it saved us time. We only had one timeout, and we didn't have to use it until we got all the way down. So I think it was a pretty successful drive for us."

We've been beaten to near-death with cautionary words about offensive coordinator Todd Haley's run-heavy attack. When it mattered Saturday night, the Steelers' offense became Big Ben's playground. And that's really when this team shines.

Changing of the guard in the AFC North? Stand down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I called the plays."

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,117 Times in 608 Posts
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger, business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
With 15 days to go until his team plays a meaningful game, Ben Roethlisberger already was in regular-season mode.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback sunk a knife into the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night with a two-minute drill for the (preseason) ages.

Starting on Pittsburgh's 2-yard line with just 1:46 remaining in the first half, Big Ben marched the Steelers on an 11-play, 98-yard drive in 1:33, capped by a 6-yard touchdown strike to Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger was 7-for-8 passing for 92 yards on a frantic run in which Bills coach Chan Gailey seemed to age seven years.

Roethlisberger's touchdown toss gave Pittsburgh a seven-point lead at halftime, and they eventually won 38-7.

"Well, I called the plays, and I can see what's going on defense," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "Guys made great plays. We had a running back make a catch on the sideline like a receiver. We utilized the middle of the field, guys got out of bounds and it saved us time. We only had one timeout, and we didn't have to use it until we got all the way down. So I think it was a pretty successful drive for us."

We've been beaten to near-death with cautionary words about offensive coordinator Todd Haley's run-heavy attack. When it mattered Saturday night, the Steelers' offense became Big Ben's playground. And that's really when this team shines.

Changing of the guard in the AFC North? Stand down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I called the plays."
Many people may disagree but I believe that Haley may have this offense turn the corner, if Wallace can get on board (different thread), this offense could very well be lethal, especially if the running back by committee issue can get resolved.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I will stand by what I am about to say, but, the Steelers had a good offense under Arians. What Haley needs to do is instill more discipline, less penalties, do not become one dimensional, and try not to be predictable. We were a productive offense last year it just did not translate in the red zone and if Haley can improve us in that one area we will be better than last year.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,333 Times in 3,278 Posts

Even before Ben became visibly pi**ed off at the end of the first half they were having trouble getting the plays in on time

Ben's answer to that was to call his own plays on the 99 yard drive - IMO he has a definite rapport with Cotchery
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I will stand by what I am about to say, but, the Steelers had a good offense under Arians. What Haley needs to do is instill more discipline, less penalties, do not become one dimensional, and try not to be predictable. We were a productive offense last year it just did not translate in the red zone and if Haley can improve us in that one area we will be better than last year.
Had Arians allowed Ben to use more no-huddle he may still have a job with the Steelers.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,117 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Had Arians allowed Ben to use more no-huddle he may still have a job with the Steelers.
Thank God he didn't and he is in Indy, now, I sure hope that there is more no huddle this year, if that is what it took to get rid of Arians, then good ridance, it was tough and the playoffs/SB and off-season sucked, but Thank You Bruce for screwing yourself out of a job and a one-way ticket out of Pittsburgh. Thank You Bruce!!!!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

Maybe he wanted to see how Ben would handle that? He wanted to "sit back and watch." If he had failed, Haley could say "Next time, I call the plays." But ti didn't, it was a masterfully executed drive by Ben and the rest of the team. So, what happens next time?

That drive is why I don't want any other QB on the Steelers right now. Granted, it was only the second quarter, but they were handling that scenario like the end of the game. You can keep you Brady's, your Drew Breeze, and your Double Discount whatever it is called, when it positively, absolutely, has to be there in 2 minutes I want #7 in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,018 Times in 4,670 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

At age 30, Steelers QB Roethlisberger in his prime

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, September 3, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger rears back to throw during practice at St. Vincent College during practice Aug. 1, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger looks to be in the prime of his career, throwing the ball with as much zip and accuracy as he ever has during his nine-season career, according to Steelers wide receivers. Mike Wallace didn’t need much time to notice.

“I haven’t been with Ben in a while, and his arm is stronger than when we left last year,” said Wallace, who practiced Monday for the first time since ending his offseason holdout. “He was throwing it pretty far.”

Roethlisberger passed for 4,077 yards last season — second in his career to his 4,328 yards in 2009 — and he might have the best and deepest cast of receivers he has had yet in Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. While he didn’t predict one Monday, he expects a big season.

“I hope so. I don’t think by any stretch of the imagination I’m on the down slope and the end of my career,” Roethlisberger said. “ I hope not, geez. The game keeps slowing down, and you keep figuring things out. I’m just blessed to have a great group of young guys around me that can make plays, so I don’t have to do as much as I used to.”

Roethlisberger is aware he is at the age — 30 — when many quarterbacks peak.

“I set the bar pretty high on myself. No one can hold my level of expectation higher than I do,” he said. “Hopefully, I’ll just keep trying to get better, and hopefully, I get there. And if I don’t, I’m sorry.”

Roethlisberger, a three-time Super Bowl participant and two-time winner, isn’t often the lesser- known quarterback in any game, but he will be when Peyton Manning returns Sunday in Denver after missing the 2011 season to injury.

Roethlisberger appears to like that he won’t be the most-scrutinized quarterback for a change.

“We knew the NFL was going to do that,” Roethlisberger said of giving Manning a prime-time showcase in his first game since the 2010 season. “ It was a no-brainer they were going to put him on Sunday night, Monday night, one of the other two, let him play at home.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2529715-8...#ixzz25RzY1O00
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Everyone's favorite fat guy gives his predictions for the 2012 Steelers. While you might not like it, he does offer some thoughts on why the Steelers could do better than he predicts:

http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...082d29ed2.html

Quote:
In Ben Steelers trust
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 8:29 pm | Updated: 8:42 pm, Mon Sep 3, 2012.
By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist

Sports Illustrated football guru Peter King says the Steelers will go 8-8 and finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Sounds about right.

Black and gold blinders often keep Pittsburgh from seeing the Steelers as they really are. That can make a fall all the more disappointing. The Steelers are an extremely flawed, frayed and fragile team propped up by the best money quarterback in football, but not much else.

James Harrison is among the best outside linebackers in football. But he might not play very much.

Troy Polamalu is among the best safeties in football. But his breakneck style and accrued wear and tear mean the end comes sooner, not later.

Nose tackle is a critical position in the Steelers’ 3-4 defense. Casey Hampton is close to his expiration date.

The problems are many. Some are great. Inexperience at corner opposite Ike Taylor. Ziggy Hood regressed last season. The top half of the 2012 draft class got blown up. David Johnson is out for the year; so much for resurrecting the fullback position. Running back lacks tenure and pedigree.

When you pile it all together, anything better than .500 seems a bit of a reach. The Steelers are beat up already, and the regular season hasn’t yet started.

But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything. Mike Wallace is back, the deep threat, the cherry on top of an excellent receiving corps. David DeCastro’s injury depletes the offensive line, but if Willie Colon stays healthy, he’s a major upgrade.

There’s not necessarily more bad than good, but there’s much more shaky than certain.

It comes down to Roethlisberger. Can he, at 30, find another gear as he enters what should be his prime? Will new offensive coordinator Todd Haley spotlight Roethlisberger and help Wallace chase Larry Fitz money, or lean on Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer by way of appeasing Art Rooney II? "Look, granddaddy, we run the ball!"

Hopefully, Roethlisberger shoulders the burden. If the Steelers lose, he’s going to get blamed no matter how much he’s asked to do, so let him drive the bus.

Speaking of which, can Dwyer wrest the top running back job (or at least significant carries) from Redman? He’s a bit more bruising, a bit more in the Steelers mold. He’s got a bit more pedigree, too: Georgia Tech vs. Bowie State.

Running the ball is crucial from one standpoint: The less that creaky Steelers defense is on the field, the better.

Of all the potential negatives, Harrison’s condition is paramount. Without an effective pass rush, this version of the Steel Curtain really isn’t too difficult to deal with.

Here’s betting Harrison is sidelined more than he plays. Uh-oh.

The AFC North may work in the Steelers’ favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isn’t as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still haven’t got.

It’s a crapshoot. But given the early injury concerns and a defense that’s fragile in every sense of the word, 8-8 is my call. Mike Tomlin likes to say “the standard is the standard,” but you can’t sprinkle black and gold pixie dust on Chris Carter and turn him into Harrison.

If the Steelers do miss the playoffs (or go one and done), it’s time for some very hard personnel decisions. Do you risk keeping ‘em too long, or risk ditching ‘em too early?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

© 2012 Timesonline.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Ben left more brain cells on that lady's windshield than Mark Madden has in his whole head.
jiminpa is online now   Reply With Quote